Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

the greatest guitar album of all time...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   David Hobbes

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted October 09 2006 - 05:40 AM

ELECTRIC LADYLAND by Hendrix....

Any one who appreciates their rock and roll infused with heaping amounts of guitar must recognize the genius of hendrix on this album...

The guitar work is among other things : creative, experimental, bluesy, bombastic and haunting..

Check out

Still raining Still dreaming
House Burning Down
Gypsy Eyes
All Along the Watchtower
Voodoo Chile (Child)

and the solo at the 1:15 mark in COME ON is jaw dropping...

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   anthony_b

anthony_b

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted October 09 2006 - 05:49 AM

I agree, love Jimmi and Santana.
Think before you speak....Peace always

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 09 2006 - 05:58 AM

I would also nominate The Yes Album. It don't get any better than Steve Howe!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted October 09 2006 - 10:40 AM

ELECTRIC LADYLAND sucks, it doesn't even have Red House on it. Posted Image

Would this be another good time to mention that I have 18 versions of Jimi playing Red House?
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 12:59 AM

I've never been a big Jimi fan, thought he was pretty overrated. Not that I don't respect what he brought to the world of guitar.
As for guitar albums, nearly anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Satriani, the first Boston album...
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Harpozep

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 01:42 AM

Not a bad candidate!Posted Image As a complete album with innovative guitar work it shone brightly in its day and still holds up as a lot more than an interesting milestone. Would that Jimi had lived, he may have made disco interesting!Posted Image

For me, the greatest guitar album of all time is Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
http://www.nomadland.com/Point_A.htm

I still get goose bumps listening to itPosted Image He transformed what the world thought of as acoustic guitar. Like Jimi and Eddie, there was guitar BEFORE Michael Hedges, and guitar AFTER Michael Hedges. They are different worlds.
Unfortunately, like Hendrix, Hedges passed prematurely, left us a legacy of work, and so many what ifs............

A link to my personal Hedges photos. I saw him many times and had the great pleasure of being able to photograph him. Check it out if interested.
http://www.pbase.com.../michael_hedges
Best,
Robert

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 10 2006 - 08:33 AM

Quote:
Would that Jimi had lived, he may have made disco interesting!

See if you can find a copy of T-Ride. Posted Image (Barring that, you can find their song Luxury Cruiser on the soundtrack to Encino Man.)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickGreenwood
I've never been a big Jimi fan, thought he was pretty overrated.
Posted Image

OK. LOL!
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCHI
Posted Image

OK. LOL!
don't LOL too loud, there are people who agree with him, including me.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ Reynolds
don't LOL too loud, there are people who agree with him, including me.

CJ

Laughing is the best we can do, laughing and shaking our heads. Maybe some hand wringing.
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCHI
Posted Image

OK. LOL!

As a guitar player, I've never found his stuff that good, I've always liked other people's version's of his songs better than his own.
I also don't think Jimmy Page was anything to write home about either, doesn't mean I don't like L.Z. songs.

I like different styles of guitar playing more quiet and/or stylistic, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Jim Messina, so forth. Though I do like the explosive nature of SRV and John Petrucci and so forth.

I don't question the impact that Jimi has had on guitar as a whole, but I think there are far better guitar players that often go over-looked. Especially people like Jim Messina, Ricky Skaggs, and so forth.

Then again I never liked Janis Joplin either which my father still can't quite understand.
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   David Hobbes

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 08:05 AM

Quote:
As a guitar player, I've never found his stuff that good, I've always liked other people's version's of his songs better than his own.
I also don't think Jimmy Page was anything to write home about either, doesn't mean I don't like L.Z. songs.

I like different styles of guitar playing more quiet and/or stylistic, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Jim Messina, so forth. Though I do like the explosive nature of SRV and John Petrucci and so forth.

I don't question the impact that Jimi has had on guitar as a whole, but I think there are far better guitar players that often go over-looked. Especially people like Jim Messina, Ricky Skaggs, and so forth.

Then again I never liked Janis Joplin either which my father still can't quite understand.

if you are questioning his ability read the following quote:

"Hendrix had his techniques so refined as to be able to get feedback going on a two or three string chord, coax and develop and alter that, all the while playing lead on the other strings. That ability is what made many musicians listening to his albums wonder where the second or third guitar players were. It was inconceivable, at the time, to arrive at the actual conclusion--that there was only one guitar player."

Taken from the book: The Jimi Hendrix Companion.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 08:45 AM

That brings up an interesting distinction: Best guitar player vs. best recorded studio performance. The latter category would include albums that include overdubs that add to the overall quality of the song but would be impossible to play live (or at least by one person). Examples might be A Night at the Opera by Queen's Brian May, or Led Zeppelin IV by Jimmy Page.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted October 13 2006 - 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hobbes
if you are questioning his ability read the following quote:

"Hendrix had his techniques so refined as to be able to get feedback going on a two or three string chord, coax and develop and alter that, all the while playing lead on the other strings. That ability is what made many musicians listening to his albums wonder where the second or third guitar players were. It was inconceivable, at the time, to arrive at the actual conclusion--that there was only one guitar player."

Taken from the book: The Jimi Hendrix Companion.

I think there are two camps, those who love Jimi and those that love Stevie Ray. I'm in the latter.

Its all preference, I respect that you like Jimi and I respect those that do.

Then there are guitar players like Caleb Quaye and Phil Keaggy, whom people barely remember or even know of. Phil maybe far more then Caleb at any rate.
-Nick G.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted October 13 2006 - 02:51 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Frank Zappa's "Shut up and Play Your Guitar". I am also very fond of "Aerial Boundaries".

YMMV

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   RichP

RichP

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted October 13 2006 - 03:52 AM

Quote:
I think there are two camps, those who love Jimi and those that love Stevie Ray.

There are three camps... those that love both. Posted Image

Surprising that you like SRV and not Hendrix, seeing as how a lot of Stevie's technique was influenced heavily by Jimi.

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted October 13 2006 - 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP
There are three camps... those that love both. Posted Image

Certainly there are FOUR camps. I am in Camp #3. Posted Image
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   kamyiu

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 13 2006 - 11:30 AM

My Bloody Valentine > Loveless

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Harpozep

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 01:38 PM

Quote:
I think there are two camps, those who love Jimi and those that love Stevie Ray. I'm in the latter.

Its all preference, I respect that you like Jimi and I respect those that do.

Then there are guitar players like Caleb Quaye and Phil Keaggy, whom people barely remember or even know of. Phil maybe far more then Caleb at any rate.

I gotta chime in here again! You know Caleb Quaye? Cool!
I loved what he brought to the early Elton John albums and welcomed his return on "Rock Of The Westies".
I think he played with Long John Baldry as well.
He reminds me of Richard Thompson in some ways, but Richard can overplay at times and Caleb plays just when it is needed.

Phil Can be a wonder as well. I prefer Hedges for the pioneering of what he did more so than Phil Keaggy and even more than Leo Kottke.
I guess I'm into the more understated style of playing that does not always have to hit you over the head, though Hedges could do both so well!

I too can respect folks who put Jimi on a shrine. He has had so much influence and did play phenomenally well.
Me, I actually saw Stevie Ray and loved it. My manager at my store saw Hendrix six times and has never been the same sincePosted Image Actually he as seen Hendrix seven times but the last time was a private concert in his living room while special smoke and chemicals swirled around the room........Posted Image

Hedges had the same effect on folks who were listening. It is had to imagine all that music coming from one solo acoustic guitar. Some have followed in his footsteps, but none have his mojo. He was transcendent in his music.

" I play guitar because it lets me dream out loud"
"Heaven is all around,
Translated to sound."

Michael Hedges,
1953-1997.

Sleep well Michael
Best,
Robert

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 04:33 AM

Someone has to speak up for Memphis soul, so I'll just throw Steve Cropper's name out there...

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow