Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Projection TV Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Weaselpolooza

Weaselpolooza

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 11:57 PM

I have a 24' x 24' finished barn (insulated and drywalled) in the back yard. I have a 55" CRT Rear Projection TV I would like to put in it. I do not plan on keeping it heated all winter, Only when I am out there. Do cold winter temperatures affect Tv's like this. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   homthtr

homthtr

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted October 09 2006 - 12:03 AM

No tv's or other heat generating electronics should be turned on when cold. They will condensate moisture inside causing premature failure of the product. Electronics should be brought to room temperature before operating. If the climate is that where the temperature will be at or near the dewpoint electronics are not recommended.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Weaselpolooza

Weaselpolooza

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 09 2006 - 02:20 AM

That is what I figured, pretty much common sense. Anyways I think I have decided to go with a projector set-up so I can easily take it into the house when it gets too cold. With minimal research I have stumbled onto some HD ready projectors on ebay. My range is around ($500). Is a DLP or LCD projector the better choice. Also the projectors in my range seem to be around 1600-2000 lumens. Would this be suffient in a dim lighted area? Thank-you

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   wiredmass

wiredmass

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 08:44 AM

The new Infocus IN24 is only $699 with an added $100 rebate until 10/31. $599 seems like it would fit your budget perfectly. It's a great DLP projector. I have one installed in my home theatre and it works excellent. You won't find a new projector cheaper than that!!!