What's new

Where's the Arthur:SE? (1 Viewer)

Haden

Supporting Actor
I seem to recall reading somewhere a year ago that a special edition (or at least anamorphic upgrade) of Arthur was in the works for release in 2006. We're nearing the end of the year and there's no confirmation of this. Did I just imagine that rumor?

walter o

Supporting Actor
a S.E of ARTHUR might be a tough one, considering all the major participants (Dudley Moore, John Gielgud, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Stephen Elliot, Ted Ross, Paul Gleason and writer/director Steve Gordon) , except for Liza Minnelli, are no longer with us.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Was there ever a letterboxed DVD even? I think the only DVD I've seen was P&S.

Haden

Supporting Actor

Yeah, that's all I'm aware of being released. At this point I'd just be happy with a new anamorphic transfer, considering the impossibility of putting together new interviews/extra features. Did any laserdisc release ever have anything extra on it worth porting?

Haden

Supporting Actor
Okay, I did some digging and found the source from which I believed Arthur to be coming out this year....

This is the from the February 2006 Warner HTF chat:

So all the way back in February they confirmed a new transfer has been completed, and they implied plans to release Arthur this year for its 25th anniversary. So.... what happened? If they wanted it out before the end of the year, we should have seen an announcement by now. Too bad nobody followed up on it in the June chat. :frowning:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Arthur is one of my favorites....and would be a great HD-DVD entry from Warner. Warner, are you listening? :)

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
"You must have hated that moose." :)

Oh man, it has been wayyy too long since I have seen this movie. I would love an HD release myself.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd be in! Although the comedic plot centered around an alcoholic may not hold up very well in this day and age (I don't think this movie would get made today because of current mores against alcohol abuse), some of the damn funniest lines are still very much quotable today (mostly thanks to Dudley Moore and John Gielgud, I think):

Susan: A real woman could stop you from drinking.
Arthur: It'd have to be a real BIG woman.

------

Arthur: He's taking the knife out of the cheese! Do you think he wants some cheese?

------

Arthur: Don't you HATE Perry's wife?

------

Hobson: Thrilling to meet you, Gloria.
Gloria, Hooker: Hi.
Hobson: You obviously have a wonderful economy with words, Gloria. I look forward to your next syllable with great eagerness!

------

And on and on and on.

James@R

Second Unit
This really needs a SE. The audio on my original copy is horrible. I still think Ronnie Wood could've probably sued the filmmakers over this one, though. :D

Arthur: "You're a hooker? Jesus, I forgot! I just thought I was doing GREAT with you!"

Arthur: "Sometimes I just think funny stuff!"

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo

Tell me about it. The original copy was one of the first DVDs I ever bought (and this was before I got my first DVD player in 2000) and the audio is downright horrible. I know because when I was a senior in high school, this was the one movie of mine that my teacher decided to show, and the volume, even at top levels, was still hard to hear.

Warner, where is that SE already?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
For some bizarre reason, the inferior sequel (Arthur 2: On The Rocks) is available in widescreen DVD.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Yet another year+ has passed. Any news from reliable sources? It's hard to believe that the only DVD of this romantic comedy classic, dates back to when 1:33 releases were commonplace.

As a side note: I've spent 99% of my forum time in the HDM section, for the past year and a half. It's great to rediscover the SD forum. It's great to hear actual talk about movies again, instead of market penetration and price-points. Think I've heard enough of it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder about this. Even though this film was such a large part of my youth (almost all the lines can be quoted by my wife and I...and still are in the appropriate situation--or, inappropriate, as the case may be) I wonder if too much time has passed.

I rather cringe nowadays at the shots of Arthur driving his Bentley with his steering wheel in one hand and a drink in the other. For me, Arthur might be a film that hasn't "grown up" along with me.

Or, I guess I'm just turning into a sour, old man! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks