What's new

A Few Words About Coming in November on HD-DVD... (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Word has been leaked that Warner has plans to release new HD transfers of the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty, a 65mm anamorphic production, as well as Forbidden Planet (CinemaScope) in November.

Apparently additional unused footage has been found and may appear as an extra for FP.

BD discs will follow in early 2007.

RAH

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
DROOL!!!
We have been waiting for a re-release of this title on SD DVD, for what, SEVEN YEARS!!!
A lossless multi-channel directional soundtrack & music only track, PLEASE!!!

Did anyone watch the import version of this title?
Cool cover!
HORRIFIC transfer! :-0

As always, thanks RAH!

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Re: Forbidden Planet

I hope there will be an opportunity to get both the additional footage and the Robby the Robot toy with the HD disc. Must. Have. Robby.

I haven't bought my HD DVD player yet, but this might just do it. It is a throw away for me for my SD discs, cause I only have component and can't upconvert (or does this upconvert to 540? I'm so confused.) Anyway, as the flag hasn't been activated to prevent my High Def discs from being worth buying the player I may just do it for FP.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Why are so many old-school black and white movies coming out on HD-DVD? "It's not just people over 60 who like to own the latest technology!"

You guys KNOW what movies need to come out on HD-DVD to "succeed", and these aren't them.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Umm, FP is in COLOR!
Maybe because some B&W films are CLASSICS!!!
If you had read the previous posts, you would have seen that one poster already say's they will enter the format because of one of theses titles.
So your WRONG.
Also see the threads on GN&GL.
Good night & good luck, to you!!! ;-)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which black and white movies are you talking about, since I only know of one that's been released which was a AA nominated film from last year?

Crawdaddy

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Forbidden Planet. OMG. This will make me smile from ear to ear it's entire running time!

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
I am smiling from ear to ear! Marlon Brando, Richard Harris and Trevor Howard in high definition. These classic films are definitely geared to the home theater enthusiast rather than the gaming community. Both will be part of my growing HD DVD collection in November and both of my HD-A1s are hungry for more. Thank you Warner Brothers

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
These two great movies would make a nice addition to my collection. Finally something in HD that I am very eager to get a hold of.

Thomas Eisenmann

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I'm almost certainly not in elMalloc's demographic (though I understand his POV, even if I disagree with it); but the presence of movies like "Robin Hood," "The Searchers," "Spartacus" and, now, "Forbidden Planet" are ABSOLUTELY the reason I decided to go with HD DVD, rather than Blu-ray.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Wow!

I was about to order the new SDVD release of Mutiny (I did order Julius Caesar), and for some odd reason delayed that...
Like others I was waiting for this movie to finally appear on DVD, and a HD version is absolutely fantastic.
The movie itself has some weaker points, but I always liked it and indeed this is a perfect candidate for a HD version.

FP would be very interesting in HD too. I wonder what that does to the 1956 special effects. There's a 2-disc 50th Anniversary SE for pre-order (I didn't order that one yet, so I'll happily wait now), this film is not bad at all. And, besides, it's rather special to see a young Leslie "Naked Gun" Nielsen, playing it straight.
And yes, FP is in (Eastman) colour.

Cees

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I freely admit that I am over 60. And even though I am perhaps going senile at such an advanced age, I can’t find the B&W movies to which you refer. Doubting my ability to recall all of the releases, I looked over Robert’s lists and can’t find them there either.

About all I can think of is that you have confused Forbidden Planet with some of the B&W, silent versions of The Tempest made even before I was born.

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
I'm 27 and I'm excited about these! After seeing what they did with "The Searchers", "Grand Prix" and "Robin Hood' I can't wait. I think these types of releases will be ones that help one camp or another to be honest. The older crowd are the ones with the expendable money not the barely 20 somethings.

Either way this is good news....

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
While I love older movies it's not hard to see what elMalloc was driving at: new titles are the big sellers not catalogue re-releases. While these rumours are great for us movie lovers they're not likely to drive these new formats towards mainstream popularity the same way Pirates of the Caribbean would.

JackKay

Second Unit
Mutiny on the Bounty, Forbidden Planet and King Kong for free with the 360 addon all in November!

GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Wrong studio, Rob! They refuse to bring out on HD DVD (unlike Warner Bros. to mention one).

Cees

M

Member 323668

"The Searchers", "Robin Hood", "Grand Prix" or "Blazing Saddles" were the most impressive HD-DVD releases I have seen so far. Ok, movies like "Serenity" or "Aeon Flux" are nice and entertaining time waisters to show off the format's quality, but I am impatiently waiting for Universal to release some Hitchcock classics, like "Vertigo" or some Jimmy Stewart Westerns of their library, for example...

"Forbidden Planet" and "Spartacus" is GREAT NEWS!

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
Yeah, I realised my snaffu after scanning the thread again. Pirates just seemed like the only truly huge movie that seemed likely to be released on an HD format anytime soon. King Kong, Batman B, and the rest were successful, though not as impressive earners as WB and Uni must have hoped. Though to be honest I've never really paid much attention to which studio owns which movies - until this format "war". ;)

dannyboy104

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
So for a HD-DVD like Mutiny on the Bounty, which was shot on 65mm Super Panavision, will the transfer be taken from a 35mm copy, and will we lose any resolution in the process. Regarding the aspect ratio, will this be 2:35:1 or 2:76:1 ?
On the audio front , I hope we get the 70mm 6 track.
If this expected release looks anything like Grand Prix HD-DVD, this should be well worth looking forward to.

thanks Danny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks