Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ark II coming Nov 7th

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,302 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 07:32 AM

BCI is dipping yet again into the Sturday Morning trough to bring out this chestnut. I don't remember it being particularly good but I remember always thinking the costumes ripped off Space 1999. Now where's Jimmy Doohan's Jason Of Star Command? And Straczinski's Captain Power.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 06 2006 - 07:41 AM

It really was not a good show, however, i liked it anyway. Strange how it works that way sometimes? I will of course buy it. BCI is very reasonable price wise, and give you a good quality product.

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   TaiPan

TaiPan

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 07:43 AM

Now here is one I will be picking up. None of my friends remember shows like this or Jason Of Star Command, so I'm having a Saturday Morning party at my house with sugery cereals included so we can watch this, Jason, and Ultraman. Should be a great way to drive my neighbors nuts. Tai

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,002 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 08:13 AM

I have it on order from Deepdiscountdvd.com for cheap.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 05:23 PM

We'll be putting that out. Space Academy too.

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted October 07 2006 - 06:13 AM

I agree with the earlier posters. This was a lost nugget that's been unearthed. It wasn't the greatest 1970's Saturday Morning Adventure Show but it is fun to watch and realize how much we used our imagination as a kid. I too would like to see Jason of Star Command come out in the future. But for now I'm adding Ark II to my TV Show on DVD library. It will be fun to watch this GEM again.

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 10:50 AM

Space Academy is set to street January 9th. Jason of Star Command will be around 3 months after that.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,819 posts

Posted October 10 2006 - 06:11 PM

Now BCI just has to come out with the old school Ghost Busters and I'll be golden. And they better get Larry Storch in for some commentary or something, or I'll be sad.

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,075 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted October 11 2006 - 12:29 AM

BCI are planning to release the live-action version of The Ghost Busters next summer, around the same time they're putting out Isis.

I know they're supposed to be doing some special features for the set, no idea if this includes commentary from Mr. Storch or not.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted November 08 2006 - 01:51 PM

OK, mine is on the way. Did anyone get this or was i alone? How does it look?

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   mannix

mannix

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted November 08 2006 - 02:03 PM

I plan on adding ark 2 as well as space academy and jason of star command when they come out

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted November 08 2006 - 02:18 PM

This one will bring back memories. I'm waiting for Isis.

Posted Image

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 09:42 AM

Ditto. I'll probably pick up Jason too. Don't remember watching Ark, so it doesn't have the nostalgia pull for me the others do- may Netflix it sometime though. David, if you're still around can you clear something up. One of the reviewers commented that he saw trails on some motion with these transfers- that sounds like ghosting and would seem to imply you are using PAL masters. Is that in fact what ER UK supplied to you? A shame you can't get you hands on the original masters- I know that in the case of Isis at least, there are a bunch of collectors with prints of the shows (on 16 mm, which is what I believe they were shot on). I guess given the limited appeal of these, chasing down better masters isn't realistic for the budget.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   mannix

mannix

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 10:47 AM

I ended up going to four diffrent stores trying to find ark 2 and when I finally found it was last one they had

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   TaiPan

TaiPan

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted November 10 2006 - 05:32 PM

OK, got mine in the mail today. Was only able to watch two episodes on a small portable DVD player, so I can't review the image quality just yet. The two episodes I did watch brought back a lot of memories. It's even campier than I remembered. Lots of imagination in this show, but not much in the way of budget. I like the cast, but the actress playing Ruth is really awful. However, I found her bad acting added something to the overall enjoyment of the episodes. I will try and post more after I have seen more episodes on my 32 inch TV. Can't wait to get to the Helen Hunt episode. Tai

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted November 11 2006 - 03:11 AM

Mine is still in the mail. Guess when you do the free shipping you get what you pay for. Posted Image

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,075 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted November 13 2006 - 12:59 AM

Again, 16mm masters weren't found amongst the Hallmark holdings. It would be very difficult to trace down all 15 episodes in private hands and not only find them, but to find prints for all of them that are still in decent shape. I've seen some good Filmation 16mm over the years, and I've seen some real dogs, too. Then, there's all the restoration that would likely have to be done, and also no guarantee that the film prints would even be complete, if they could be found.

Assuming such an effort ever came up, I can imagine with all the extra time/costs of tracking down materials and restoration, the price would be closer to Star Trek season prices, not the $17 I've been seeing online. They'd probably have to price it so high that it'd never sell enough units. I can see far more people buying this for $17, PAL transfers or not.

Again, I think we should be grateful these are even coming out.

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,002 posts

Posted November 13 2006 - 05:04 AM

You could have went to deep discount dvd and paid $13 and some change delivered. They are having their big bi-annual sale.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted November 13 2006 - 08:00 AM

Andy is right. ER does not have any original Masters. Hallmark pretty much destroyed everything they had once it was transferred.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 11:54 AM

I'm seconding the call for CAPTAIN POWER. Very well written and should have continued.. corner JMS and you may find all sorts of things (including some promos that showed a SIXTH member of the team, scripts for the second season, maybe even a timeline of the 5 year story arc that he had planned out..)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users