Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Is it just me, or does the old 'enterprise' look more modern . . .

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 07:09 PM

. . . than TOS Enterprise.

The detail on the model is fantastic, but it seems to be a little sophisticated than the 1701, or even the 1701-A.

Waddaya think?

Posted Image Paul Warren

Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.
"Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight." —Danny, Withnail and I

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 07:15 PM

I think you have the mind-set that the models and special effects should be 70's era since it is set in the time frame of The Original Series. Posted Image (Me too.)

If you look close, the ship does look like a bunch of metal plates bolted together. Primitive and brute-force.

But the model and picture are super-sharp with modern technology.

It is going to take some adjustment. Posted Image

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 09:07 PM

I hope they keep this colour. It looks much better than the dumb white. Glenn

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 03:31 AM

Remember, the "Enterprise" in TOS - like the Klingons - was a presentation of how it would appear from 1966's perspective. If they were to remake TOS, it wouldn't look like that.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 05:46 AM

Good points all.

If they were to remake it today, I'm sure it would be much different.

My favorite line from TOS:

Scotty - She's a beauty; completely transistorized.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Still, it is a bit of culture shock.

I will miss the old "boing bipp bweeeep" of the old control panel button sounds.

------------------
Posted Image Paul Warren

Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.
"Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight." —Danny, Withnail and I

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 08:25 AM

Jason, this new (old) Enterprise has some features that look more like the Enterprise from the movies than the TOS Enterprise. For example, the tapered, swept-back struts. I thought the look of the Enterprise from the movies was the result of an extensive overhaul bringing it up-to-date, hence the reason it was in drydock at the start of the first movie. Was I supposed to believe instead that the TOS Enterprise would have looked like the movie Enterprise if effects technology & budget would have allowed? ------------------ --Wayne Bundrick
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 08:34 AM

Another example of this would be the last Star Wars movie. Even though TPM was a prequal of what, 30 years, things looked a lot more sophistocated than the first Star Wars movie that was 30 years later, or so.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 09:56 AM

[quote]

Even though TPM was a prequal of what, 30 years, things looked a lot more sophistocated than the first Star Wars movie that was 30 years later, or so.

[quote]Do you mean in terms of effects, or in-movie?
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 11:05 AM

Marty, A few have mentioned that.So did I.I think they went overboard on the sleekness in TPM, but the excuse was episodes 4-6 were a "Dark Ages" hence the junkier ships. ------------------ Visit My Pathetic WebPage "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth- one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,557 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 04:23 PM

If they don’t have transporter technology, then I would assume they don’t have Structural Integrity Field (SIF) technology. SIF is what keeps the ships from coming to pieces under stress even though their designs look so fragile.

So judging by the ship's design, am I to assume they have SIF in Enterprise?

Will they have artificial gravity? (Actually, I think it’d be cooler if they didn’t. Posted Image)
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,162 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted August 16 2001 - 10:04 PM

I like the call letters. NX 01 Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted August 17 2001 - 07:12 AM

[quote]

"...the aesthetics of the aughts."

[quote]

That may be the first time where I've seen somebody correctly identify a "01"-numbered decade.

------------------
Posted Image

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 17 2001 - 09:45 AM

Thank you. Now go see A.I.. Posted Image

I'm not quite sure what we'll be doing in ten years, though. Is it OK to call 2010-2012 part of the "teens"?

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted August 17 2001 - 07:06 PM

Boy, I sure hope we have the roaring twenties again.

Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image Paul Warren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users