Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Why did Denise Crosby leave Star Trek: TNG?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 10:47 AM

Was there a reason behind her death as to why she left the show?

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,424 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted August 13 2001 - 11:07 AM

I remember hearing that she left to pursue her "movie" career.

------------------
Rich

"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 11:10 AM

I didn't know "Red Shoe Diaries" counted as a movie. Posted Image

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 11:28 AM

It was a gamble that didn't necessarily pay off. She wasn't getting much to do, it was probably already pretty clear that screen time was going to be hard to come by if you weren't Patrick Stewart or Brent Spiner. She'd probably also seen a good chunk of her screen time siphoned off when Michael Dorn/Worf was added to the cast very late in the process. So, she asked, am I better off getting five minutes of screen time per week on this show, or seeing what else is out there?

Did it work out? Probably not. But then again, I also have to figure she's worked more steadily in her post-Trek career than, say, Gates McFadden or Marina Sirtis. In her position, I might have done the same.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 11:29 AM

Yup, to pursue other things. Good thing, the show was better after she left. Ever since she's been surviving from the con circuit. Rule #1 of Hollywood NEVER leave a show that's popular, EVER.

David Duchovony is about to learn this lesson all to well

Jeff Kleist

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 11:34 AM

Quote:
Rule #1 of Hollywood NEVER leave a show that's popular, EVER.
Unless you're George Clooney, right?

Or Jim Carrey.

And, besides, it's better to do the same thing every week for years than to play a broader range of parts. Because, you know, people get into acting for the steady paycheck, not the artistic gratification.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 02:35 PM

I think that as a general rule it hasn't been all that great a move to leave a successful show. Clooney and Carrey are exceptions. I haven't seen Julianne Margulies (mis-spelled?) recently. ER offered her something like 28 million to stay and she said no. She must have been really, REALLY fed up to do that. I wonder if she has second thoughts?

William H. Macy was already making movies before he left ER so I don't know if he counts.

------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

You want to upgrade again?!!

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 02:47 PM

Poor Denise Crosby. I knew her career was officially over when I saw in a tiny part playing a nurse or something on the X-Files recently. I saw her name in the opening credits and thought "oh, cool" then it turned out to be just a few lines that could have been said by anybody (or nobody).

Sad. Posted Image

Speaking of which, does anyone else ever watch The Outer Limits and get amazed at the number of former TV stars they use in those episodes? People that you completely have forgotten about, but yet instantly recognize will show up in an episode. Last week it was Jamie Luner, from Melrose Place. I still remember the Laura Leighton episode.

I always wonder what these semi-"stars" do after their show ends and they are between gigs. How long until they are forced to take a day job, I wonder?

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 03:22 PM

A lot of them, I imagine, do stage work. Doesn't show up in the IMDB or get much press unless it's in NYC or London, but I've seen a fair number of familiar names show up in ads for productions here in Boston, and I imagine it's the same in L.A. and Chicago.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 05:29 PM

She'd probably also seen a good chunk of her screen time siphoned off when Michael Dorn/Worf was added to the cast very late in the process

Do you mean Dorn was the last one casted for TNG? He was there from the beginning.

IMO, I think she made a mistake. There is NO way the character of Yar would have been ignored. She wasn't a recurring character, she was a part of the cast. Even Quark in DS9 got a lot of screen time. With the exception of the movies, the cast members on all the shows were never ignored.

Anyway, I think the first, and one of the only, movies she was in after TNG was Miracle Mile. If anyone here hasn't seen it, I suggest you check it out. She's doesn't have a huge part though. Unfortunately it's not on DVD.

Jeff

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 05:54 PM

Thanks guys. You confirmed what I suspected.

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 13 2001 - 11:35 PM

Quote:
Do you mean Dorn was the last one casted for TNG? He was there from the beginning.
Um, no. Worf was the last character created, not long before the pilot shot at all. Having a Klingon on the ship was a last minute brainstorm of Roddenberry/Gerrold/Fontana's, and they really had no clear idea of what Worf's purpose on the show would be.

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted August 14 2001 - 01:37 AM

Denise appears on tonight's NYPD Blue rerun: "Thumb Enchanted Evening"

Jim

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 14 2001 - 01:59 AM

Quote:
I knew her career was officially over when I saw in a tiny part playing a nurse or something on the X-Files recently.
Jodee, I'm shocked, shocked, that you of all people would succumb to such a sexist assumption.

She played a doctor. Posted Image

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted August 14 2001 - 02:24 AM

She was also in one of those "big rock gonna hit the earth movies" like Armageddon or something.
Tom Rhea

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted August 14 2001 - 02:33 AM

She said she was tired of saying the same lines every week.
Roddenbury asked her to be patient and she wasnt. She thought she was wasting her time.I once read Patrick Stewart didnt unpack his bags the first year, because they were all afraid the show would be cancelled, and of course, it took off during its 3rd season.

Jasen,
If I remember correctly, Worf was meant to be background material, but they were forced to rethink about the character after the first season when he became a fan favorite.

------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

[Edited last by JonZ on August 14, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 14 2001 - 02:46 AM

Miracle Mile is the only film I've seen Ms. Crosby in--that is, if you don't count the documentary Trekkies.

Talk about bad career moves. Isn't Star Trek just about the only thing that keeps her name in lights?

------------------
Posted Image

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Supporting Actor

• 875 posts

Posted August 14 2001 - 02:58 AM

I haven't seen Julianna Margulies recently. ER offered her something like 28 million to stay and she said no. She must have been really, REALLY fed up to do that. I wonder if she has second thoughts?

She was the starring role in the recently released "Mists of Avalon" on TNT. Also she voiced Neera on Dinosaur.

Looks like she's got another movie in production still.
They found my psych results fit a certain profile. A certain "Moral flexibility" would be the best way to describe it....

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 14 2001 - 03:09 AM

Quote:
She was also in one of those "big rock gonna hit the earth movies" like Armageddon or something.
Deep Impact. She played Leelee Sobieski's mother.

And let's not forget her role in Pet Sematary.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 14 2001 - 03:25 AM

Quote:
She said she was tired of saying the same lines every week.
Roddenbury asked her to be patient and she wasnt. She thought she was wasting her time.
Wasn't she probably right, though? Maybe she would have gotten more to do if she'd hung around until the third season when Roddenberry was pushed back and Berman hired Piller (who then decided to write more character-based stuff), but how could she have predicted that?
Quote:
If I remember correctly, Worf was meant to be background material, but they were forced to rethink about the character after the first season when he became a fan favorite.
No, he was in the opening credits from the pilot on. Certainly, he became popular early on, and the writers started giving him more to do (partly at the expense of Crosby's character).
Quote:
Talk about bad career moves. Isn't Star Trek just about the only thing that keeps her name in lights?
Not really. Check her IMDB entry; she's worked steadily since she left TNG, and not just in sci-fi "hey, let's appeal to the 'Star Trek' audience" roles. Can't necessarily say that about many other second-tier ST alumni.

She's been a working actress, pretty much the same as she was before TNG, except she can make the occasional quick buck at conventions. Consider that the likes of Marina Sirtis, Nana Visitor, etc., don't necessarily even have that anymore (though, I repeat, they may be doing stage work that flies under our radar, while Beltran and McFadden have both taught at various points), she's doing alright.

(3000 posts. Yay.)

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow