Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Friday Night Lights season 1 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
334 replies to this topic

#1 of 335 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 01:48 AM

Sure, there is a bit of irony for a show called "Friday Night Lights" being scheduled on Tuesdays on NBC.

If you like the movie (by Peter Berg), and like high school football, it might appeal to you.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 335 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 05:02 AM

I can't believe its October 3rd already. I'm really looking forward to tonight's premiere.

http://www.fridaynig...stheseries.com/

#3 of 335 OFFLINE   Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 12:55 PM

Pretty good. They nailed the look, feel and sound of the movie to a T.

#4 of 335 OFFLINE   Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 04:32 PM

Great Premiere! They managed to make the big game emotional and tense even though everything about it we've seen before. The injury, Being down with less than a minute to go. But still the whole town being speechless at the site of their golden boy injured and the great way the Back Up QB was clueless was done so well. The show really displayed how the town lives and dies Football.
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#5 of 335 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 04:52 PM

I really enjoyed it. Earned a season pass. My only issue is they shouldn't have made that backup QB THAT much of a doophus. The transformation he made literally in the span of one play and one timeout was far too unbelievable.

#6 of 335 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted October 03 2006 - 05:16 PM

In a season with more good new shows than I can remember, this is the best first episode of the bunch. If they can keep this level of quality up, "Friday Night Lights" could be an all-time classic.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#7 of 335 OFFLINE   Scott_Sch

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 12:33 AM

Agreed, this one really sucked me in right away. I loved the movie and am a sucker for sports flicks and shows so this one is a definite for me. It was also able to pull off some nice emotional scenes without being overly sappy. Looking forward to next week for sure.

#8 of 335 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,843 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted October 04 2006 - 01:40 AM

I enjoyed this a lot! The dialog was stellar, even though the story itself was a bit trite... not to mention, telegraphed. But, there is so much to like here, I can easily overlook that.

I never saw the film that inspired this series, does the pilot track pretty closely to the movie story-wise?

BTW, I applaud NBC for presenting their pilots with limited commercial interruption. The first half hour of Friday Night Lights really benefited from being presented this way.

I definitely will be watching this in the weeks to come.
Gary

#9 of 335 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,183 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 01:46 AM

I haven't seen the movie, and wonder if I should see it first before watching the Pilot, which will be repeated a couple times this week.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#10 of 335 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman
I never saw the film that inspired this series, does the pilot track pretty closely to the movie story-wise?
It's been a while since I saw the movie, but this definitely seemed to capture the feel of the movie. One thing I remember being different (I'll spoilerize just in case).

The star RB (equivalent to the "Smash" character on the show) was the one that got hurt, not the QB. I don't remember the QB being such a superstar player either, but I could be wrong.

#11 of 335 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 02:51 AM

If you haven't seen the film, you should.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#12 of 335 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 04:07 AM

Quote:
Pretty good. They nailed the look, feel and sound of the movie to a T.

It probably helped that the director of the film was the one who wrote and directed the pilot Posted Image Also nice that they brought back Explosions in the Sky for the musical score, which was a big part of the flavor of the film.

Quote:

It's mostly the same, although they've made some tweaks such as altering the fates of certain characters, and they've moved the setting from late 80's Odessa to the present day of a fictitious town.

I thought the pilot was excellent but I think the main opportunity the series has is that as it continues it will be able to cover issues from the book that the movie didn't have time for.

#13 of 335 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,843 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted October 04 2006 - 05:23 AM

According to Zap2it, Friday Night Lights got off to a slow start for NBC last night.

It amazes me how viewers ignore quality but continue to embrace fairly meaningless reality fare...
Gary

#14 of 335 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 04 2006 - 05:25 AM

Look, feel, dialogue, acting...all very good.

Unfortunately for me, it was a little too cliche - the star QB gets hurt/paralyzed, the come from behind win, etc.

I hope they mix it up in the future. Do some unexpected things. I will give it a chance to see if they do.

#15 of 335 OFFLINE   Phil Garcia

Phil Garcia

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 12:55 PM

I live in Odessa so its weird seeing this set in Dayton, yet the team and mascot remain the same (albit a different color).

I guess NBC sympathised with us and gave one of the main characters in Heros a place in Odessa, but its ridiculous seeing mountains litter the landscape in that show. Posted Image

Great start, will definitely continue to watch!

#16 of 335 OFFLINE   CherylJ

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman
It amazes me how viewers ignore quality but continue to embrace fairly meaningless reality fare...

ITA. Considering that Dancing with the Stars clobbered both Friday Night Lights and Veronica Mars in the 9pm slot, I think FNL may soon be competing with VM in the "best show you're not watching" category.

Are people so put off by the idea of a show that involves some characters in high school? I don't get it. I know FNL might put off non-football fans (like me, but I like Kyle Chandler), but the football hook should attract as many people as it repels. One would think.

#17 of 335 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 03:50 AM

I really dig the movie and the book and liked this pilot as well. I wish it was one of those shows that they decide to order the complete season up front. I mean its got to be pretty cheap to produce and you would think that TPTB would realize that we are all getting tired of reality shows.
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#18 of 335 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 05:27 AM

I haven't seen the movie, but I liked the pilot a lot. Is Peter Berg going to direct the rest of the season?

~T

#19 of 335 OFFLINE   CherylJ

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raasean Asaad
you would think that TPTB would realize that we are all getting tired of reality shows.

The problem is that the American public isn't tired of them. American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, and Survivor are all huge ratings winners.

So long as reality shows continue to dominate like that, TPTB are going to keep giving us more and more of them. They are much cheaper to produce than scripted dramas that employ actual writers and actors who want to be paid for their effort.

#20 of 335 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 03:19 PM

I don't get one thing: why doesn't that loadie get thrown off the team? I mean, he was clearly drunk in that tv interview; clearly a liar when the interviewer asked him about it. Do they not kick him off because he's such a good player? From what I could see, he was mostly annoying to the other team members. But of course, I'm sure the writers will deal with it eventually, but you'd think the coach would have said, 'we've got to rid of this kid; he's stoned; makes the school look bad' by now.

Speaking of annoying, am I to presume that everyone in Texas is a hardcore Christian? From the black guy dropping to his knees in prayer every 15 minutes to the unbelievable kid asking "Do you think God likes football?", I have a feeling we're in the Bible Belt... Can't there be one episode where it turns out there's a Buddhist or Jewish player on the team who gets sick of hearing about Jesus all day, and goes off on someone? That's real drama. FNL was kind of on a superficial level; very naive. There's no such thing as a town so obsessed with high school football that all the businesses shut down to watch a bunch of 17 year olds get their necks broken. I don't live in a town like that--nobody in my family lives in a town like that--nobody I've ever met lives in a town like that, and all my relatives originated from Texas! This show needs a lot more balance; it's very straightforward; no subtlety or irony or real drama. They're playing it by the books and that's why I think it seems trite.

And by the way, they really need to get rid of those hand-held cameras; it gets old. They need to tone down the angle changes by 50%. I couldn't tell what the HELL was going on half the time, and neither could any of you. I guess they're trying to make it look like a documentary, but it's NOT a documentary. It's a drama and deserves to be presented as such. As is, when the coach was giving his speech, didn't ANY of you get dizzy as the camera switched, every TWO seconds, from a front view, to a side view, to a close-up, to the old lady, back to the coach, to a long shot, to a close shot, back and forth and back and forth... WHAT was the POINT of these camera changes???

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow