-

Photo
- - - - -

PBS/TLC/History Channel shows that need DVD releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted October 01 2006 - 04:48 PM

It seems that one area that hasn't caught on to the idea of TV on DVD is the educational channels. There are tons of great series that haven't made it to DVD. Those that do are often released piecemeal, and the ones that get season sets are often outrageously priced (Mythbusters, I'm looking at you!) And many of these shows aren't offered through regular retailers, so you can't even get a competitive price.

Here are the shows I think need a DVD release most desperately

Connections - A James Burke series that demonstrates that history isn't a simple linear narrative, but a complex web of chance events, and if some Roman hadn't stubbed his toe two thousand years ago, we wouldn't have plastics today. The sequel series, which are no where near as good as the original, are on DVD for $100+.

The Day the Universe Changed - Another James Burke series, similar to Connections but focusing on scientific revolutions.

The Human Animal - Based on Desmond Morris' book The Naked Ape. Morris examines human behavior not from the point of view of an anthropologist or sociologist, but as a zoologist viewing humans as just another species of ape. The episode on mating habits is twenty times more interesting than HBO's Real Sex series.

The Wonderful World of Dung - Not a series, but a one-off documentary on excrement. It simply has to be seen to be believed.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Rod J

Rod J

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted October 01 2006 - 05:05 PM

Here's my #1 most wanted PBS series.

An American Family - 1973 PBS

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted October 02 2006 - 08:29 AM

I'd love to have "Notorious Lady," about George Sand and Chopin, an extremely well-done miniseries on PBS back in the 70s.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   derek

derek

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 09:02 AM

PBS: The animated 'Liberty's Kids.' Can't think of many TV shows I'd rather watch with the kids. Positives all around.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 07:02 AM

Definitely An American Family- TV's first reality series. For something current, I want to see a set for PBS' History Detectives!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   CherylJ

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 12:07 PM

Eyes on the Prize.

Has that been released on DVD? I know the copyright issues have been holding it up, but now it's replaying on PBS so I was hoping to see it on DVD.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,851 posts

Posted October 05 2006 - 11:42 PM

I'll second the call for Eyes on the Prize. I know it was hung up by copyright concerns, but I hope it is resolved soon. It will be a crime if this show is lost to history. One of the most important documents of the 20th century ever made.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanOhara
Connections - A James Burke series that demonstrates that history isn't a simple linear narrative, but a complex web of chance events, and if some Roman hadn't stubbed his toe two thousand years ago, we wouldn't have plastics today. The sequel series, which are no where near as good as the original, are on DVD for $100+.

And it's only Connections 2 and Connections 3. I've looked for Connections but haven't found any listing for it being available. So yea, I want them too and the only place is DVDPacific at $93.11, MSRP $149.99.

I agree about the expensiveness (is that a word?) of factual series/ documentaries. Either that or they were released on VHS and the likelihood of them being re-released on DVD is very low. I enjoy Bob Brier's specials on TLC and Discovery. Only one has been released on VHS. Although... Discovery.com Store is having a sale on it's "classic" (their definition) one-disc DVD's for $9.95. I may pick up a couple.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   JiM T

JiM T

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 05:43 AM

Did "Comic Book Super Heroes Unmasked" ever come out on DVD? I'd buy that...

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 09:20 AM

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego - The gameshow version (of the computer game of the same name) that aired on PBS. I loved this show as a kid and wished I had taped it so I could see it again. I'm not sure how many years it was on and because it was a gameshow Season Sets may be hard to do but I would gladly take any DVD release of any kind.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   JoePassmore

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 04:10 PM

I don't know which channel produced this, but Wonders of the Universe was my favourite educational show. Not sure if I'd ever buy it on DVD, but I'd sure as hell love to see it again.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,851 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 04:10 AM

I see that PBS.org has Eyes on the Prize for sale on DVD, for $375! It's listed under the teachers section.

What are the chances we can see a regular retail release of this historic program?

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted November 27 2008 - 11:37 AM

One PBS show that I would love to see on DVD is Powerhouse. I loved that show when I was a kid. Does anyone else remember it?

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Cheetah

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted November 27 2008 - 12:35 PM

PBS’s The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century.

Another WWI documentary is The Great War from the BBC.
I don’t know if it ever ran on History but I am pretty sure that it never ran on History Television in Canada. While it’s on DVD in Region 2 this series should also have a North American R1 release.