Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

early user review of Batman Begins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted October 01 2006 - 07:03 AM

http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=730666

Quote:
the picture: simply superb, the color the blacks the subtle, very subtle, film grain that reminds you this is a film, everything about this transfer was what I hoped for.

the sound: the true HD track smokes all others, this is the best soundtrack presentation I have heard in my home

Scenes: The scence with Bale and Neeson on the ice and of course the bat mobile chase are now my showoff clips, and I mean SHOW OFF....

well now I am not sure if I can wait to see it Posted Image

Marek

#2 of 33 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,497 posts

Posted October 01 2006 - 03:10 PM

This HD DVD has been long waited for, and it will be a joy to watch this excellent film again in such pristine quality.

For someone who was expecting to have this HD DVD in May, it almost doesn't seem real yet that it is finally coming. Looking forward to it!
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#3 of 33 NolanJ

NolanJ

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted October 02 2006 - 02:41 AM

Check that link out! I stumbled upon the post yesterday and after reading it I had Batman Begins in my hands for afternoon viewing :-)

#4 of 33 Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted October 02 2006 - 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanJ
Check that link out! I stumbled upon the post yesterday and after reading it I had Batman Begins in my hands for afternoon viewing :-)

Ditto. The second place I tried had it in stock and held it for me til I showed up to buy it.

As for the HD-DVD, it stuttered a few times during the movie, including at the very beginning when young Bruce is getting swarmed by the bats in the cave. I'm not sure if this is due to the Dolby TrueHD track since it's the first disc I own with that type of audio. Also, the gunshots seemed a lot quieter than in every other presentation of the film I've seen.

Ok, with the minor nitpicks out of the way, now I can comment on the positives. The transfer put the SD-DVD to shame. Wait til you see Batman in his suit for the first time. The blacks on this disc blew me away. And the early scenes in Iceland were also impressive.

I thought T3's crane chase would be my new demo piece, but that lasted all of 6 days.Posted Image The Batmobile chase in Dolby TrueHD raised the bar another notch or two. I'm almost afraid to play it again out of fear of pissing off the neighbors.

The only real disappointment(aside from the skipping which could become a non-issue with the next firmware upgrade) is the IME feature. I sampled a few minutes of it, but there are a lot of gaps. And most of the footage shown looked like it was taken from the featurettes on the 2-disc SD-DVD(and which are included on this version). Oh well, maybe with the inevitable double-dip, Chris Nolan will finally have more to say.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#5 of 33 Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted October 02 2006 - 12:32 PM

Like others, I read/post over at AVS, had also seen interesting info on BB, found not only that title but also Cinderella Man (passed) and The Fast And The Furious (purchased along w/ BB). MNF will have my attention tonight, hoping for a shootout because it's fun and also for fantasy football reasons, so BB will have to wait a night.... Exciting to have it, though!
My Family's DVD Collection
My Family's Game Collection

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

#6 of 33 Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted October 02 2006 - 12:44 PM

My copy also stuttered on 2 occasions. The first time occurred when Flass got into the squad car in Chapter 16. The second time was when Gordon used the Tumbler to blow up the support beams for the monorail.

I think my neighbors all hate me because of the chase scene in the Tumbler.

Bring on Superman Returns!

#7 of 33 Guest_Hank_*

Guest_Hank_*

Posted October 02 2006 - 02:23 PM

Picked up my copy of BB today at Target. Just got done watching it, this is my new reference HD DVD. The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack blew my living room walls out! No freeze up/stutters or sound drop-outs.

#8 of 33 Steve Blair

Steve Blair

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted October 02 2006 - 02:50 PM

Just finished watching it. PURE REFERENCE! This is my new demo hd dvd Posted Image I had no stuttering on the True Hd track and the PQ is excellent. This is just an absolute HD showcase and should be played whenever you have someone over you want to impress!

#9 of 33 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,995 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 03 2006 - 06:17 AM

all i ca say right now about this hd dvd is

Posted Image

facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 33 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Blair
Just finished watching it. PURE REFERENCE! This is my new demo hd dvd Posted Image I had no stuttering on the True Hd track and the PQ is excellent. This is just an absolute HD showcase and should be played whenever you have someone over you want to impress!

I thought the HD-DVD of BB was not due out until 10-10. Did it get pushed up?

Thomas Eisenmann
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#11 of 33 MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
I thought the HD-DVD of BB was not due out until 10-10. Di it get pushed up?

Thomas Eisenmann

there is a big story over on avsforums Posted Image
they had cod number of BB, and they run to TARGET shops Posted Image and most of them get BB before official release Posted Image

marek

#12 of 33 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 09:02 AM

I called my local Target and gave them the DCPI# from the AVS thread, they have BB in stock and I almost got them to hold it for me to pick up later today but they soon realized that it doesn't street until next week and shut me down.

That's ok, I'm going in there tomorrow and try again.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#13 of 33 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,995 posts

Posted October 03 2006 - 11:37 AM

this hd dvd is truly superb, but the crane truck chase on T3 is still my sound ddemo choice,just for one scene.
overall the true hd track on batman begins is IT !

facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 33 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 12:40 AM

The 2 Targets in my area dont even sell HDDVDs yet.

Both will start next week.

#15 of 33 Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P
I called my local Target

Tsk tsk. The first rule of Shopping Club is.... well, you know. Posted Image
My Family's DVD Collection
My Family's Game Collection

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

#16 of 33 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 03:49 AM

I know, but when I was in there just 2 hours earlier I was told by the same guy that answered the phone they won't even be selling HD-DVDs, only Blu-ray.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#17 of 33 dkny75

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P
I know, but when I was in there just 2 hours earlier I was told by the same guy that answered the phone they won't even be selling HD-DVDs, only Blu-ray.
How much you wanna bet that the guy doesn't even know the difference between the two formats?

#18 of 33 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted October 04 2006 - 03:24 PM

My local store didn't have any HD-DVDs or BDs tonight either. It would have been nice to check out Batman Begins a little early, but it'll have to wait until next week.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#19 of 33 John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 07:29 AM

Demos, reference, demos... does nobody watch movies for their OWN enjoyment any more? Sigh...

#20 of 33 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,995 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 09:29 AM

well i do.
first i watch because i want to see the movie then i see and hear specific scenes that are show off material.

i dont understand your question.
or maybe the point of it.

facebook.com/whotony

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow