Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

GUYS AND DOLLS - 2006 DVD is botched!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted September 30 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hey everyone,

Well, I got the new 2006 DVD release of GUYS AND DOLLS. It is in anamorphic widescreen, so I figured it would be a welcome upgrade to the flat widescreen 2000 DVD transfer. Well, in many ways it is - but it is also CROPPED on ALL FOUR SIDES and SQUISHED to boot! It's as if it was transferred with a 2.35:1 lens and not a 2.55:1 lens in the telecine! THEN it was zoomed in on all four sides! The musical numbers have the dancers feet completely cut off at the bottom of the frame, and the top of Brando's head is often cropped as well! What's sad is this is a new high definition transfer that was downconverted for DVD use - so future airings and video releases may be mastered from this flawed transfer! :-(

I didn't read a word about this in any review online. Am I the only person who started to watch the new DVD only to feel everything was framed too tightly? I'm glad I held onto my old one to compare.

I tried to get the frames as exact as I could with the program I use to grab stills from DVDs. A full gallery of images (2000 DVD followed by 2006 DVD) can be found here:
http://s46.photobuck......20DOLLS DVD/

Here are some samples, the original DVD followed by the "superior remastered" one:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I wonder if anyone but me has noticed this? GRRRR!!!! And what's more is whom do I contact? MGM? Columbia, who distributed this title for them this past spring? Fox, who now controls distribution of MGM titles?

I guess I'll be sticking with my old version. The cropping is very noticeable when one is trying to watch the new DVD.

Chuck

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 30 2006 - 07:42 PM

It was previously discussed in this thread:

http://www.hometheat....ght=guys dolls

As for who to contact, MGM is the responsible party. Sony was, and Fox is now, only the distributor.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted September 30 2006 - 08:06 PM

Thanks Brandon! :-) I'm glad I'm not the only one that got the new disc and almost immediately sensed something was wrong.