What's new

Are these glorified white van speakers? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
$80 a pair. What do you think? I mean, do you even have to ask?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The only Glorified white van speaker scam is Bose. :)

The SDAT speakers are just regular old white van speakers. Here is a link to another site that sells them: http://buyessex.stores.yahoo.net/mixsonicusa.html

This scam is so lame. I haven't seen one this lame yet. They have on pair of speakers with a MSRP of $599.99 with a price of $216.99, then another pair has a MSRP of $699.99 and has the price of $79.99. They do this many times with other speakers. The first speaker is a silver or gray bookshelf speaker that claims it has a frequency responce of 20hz-20000hz, that is just stupid. They also lay claim that they have digital tweeters, hella-lame. Their specs are just pulled out of thin air, literally.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I saw that crap too, super pathetic lamoid..., you get the picture.

The laws of physics have been defeated!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Could they be anymore lame?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Seth

It is always fun to contribute to your education :)

Bose makes some extraordinary products. I'll get back to that. First, check this out.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ighlilght=bose

Look at the chart. Bose has the highest brand loyalty of any tech company by a mile!

Second, Bose makes a vast array of product for home, commercial, musical, avaition, and military use.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...tary/index.jsp

I would humbly suggest that those sitting in M1-A1 Abrahms tanks would very much appreciate a 21% increase in voice intelligibility.

While you are at the Bose web site you might want to look at the speakers for musician, as well as the host of other products this company makes. These are some serious products. I only wish I had a stake in this company :).

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
In a home theater sense they don't make quality products, at least considering the price. Even you must recognize they are over rated.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I beg to disagree, some of their lower line home speakers are very decent, very popular, and not very expensive. E.G, 201,301.

BTW, I have personal experience with their home speakers, and noise cancelling headphones, do you? :)

With all due respect, you do better when you speak about products with which you have experience.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Bose Lifestyle systems, Bose 3-2-1, Bose Direct reflecting speakers, I have heard many of their systems in sound rooms and in some homes. When I first went speaker shopping, before I knew much of anything about speakers I listened to MTX floor standers, Bose Floor standers, and Infinity IL10 bookshelf speakers. MTX had no chance and then neither did Bose. The Bose sounded muffled and boomy and the Infinity speakers shined in every area the other speakers didn't. I have owned some direct reflecting speakers, bookshelfs, cheaply constructed, had paper tweeters and woofers, Didn't even sound as good as my Jensen 5-1/4 bookshelf speakers I had at the time. I also purchased a Bose Sub sat configuration to give Bose one last chance, and was once again frustrated with poor sound, the satelites sounded OK, Maybe like a PC speaker setup and the sub thing sounded terrible, no quality bass, just boomy, sloppy, no extension. So I returned those, needless to say.

Point is they cost to much for what they do. I could spend half of what it costs for a lifestyle system and get double the quality.

Also I have listened to the Bose Noise canceling headphones, Senheiser or Grado offer better headphones for less.

No offense if you are a Bose owner, I just don't think they are worth it

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I don't own Bose, but I know people who do, and they like their products. Besides, the Bose issue is beating a dead horse.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
This could be due to psychological reasoning. If a person has a predisposition that something will sound good, they may think that it sounds good because they wanted it to sound good. In my case I had no experience with the product before making any purchases, and had never heard of any animus against the company. I felt I was buying a good product, until I got it home. When a pair of $200-300 201's or 301's gets put to shame by speakers that cost $50 I just returned the Bose. And after that I proceeded without Bias to buy something different from Bose and was disappointed a second time. Now I hear loads of people, among audiophiles mostly, who despise Bose as a Marketing Giant and as a manufacturer of generally overpriced audio equipment.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
I'll agree with Seth on this. Considering the line of work I'm in I have NEVER seen Bose in a pro studio. Also there are a few sites that have taken Bose speakers apart and found no crossovers, sub par drivers and poor construction. So for the price I would say its a definate NO. Senheiser takes a lot of the pro audio on headphones and mics.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Bose is a perfect example of the American way of doing business. It's real easy to beat up on them. It's another thing to argue with their success, the wide range of successful products they make, and there is certainly no arguing with their brand loyalty. Hobbiests have a ball bashing Bose. Hobbiests compromise about 5% of the market for speakers, not to mention all the other categories of products they make. They could care less about what a bunch of hobbiests think. They are laughing all the way to the bank as the whipping boy of speakers. Have either of you read their site? Do you know anything about their professional equipment? This company is a resounding success, and you just continue to beat a dead horse. You guys can continue to bash Bose, and I ask that a moderator close this thread. It no longer serves a purpose.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Uh...read my above post. I am way above hobbiest. In ALL the production houses I have worked in from LA to NY I have NEVER seen thier so-called pro equipment. Why? The pros know its junk. Open the phone book and look up some local production houses and find out what they use.. From top down to local audio/video production house if you mention Bose they will laugh.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
What you will see in editing suites and sound editing/recording suites are Mackie, JBL, Emes, Event, Adam Pro Audio, Roland, Behringer, Fostex, Samson, Tannoy, Yamaha, Wharfdale Pro, etc. No Bose here.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
They still use small cheap paper drivers in their Pro audio. I haven't ever seen Bose in a pro audio or musician's magazine or catalogue. However the Military application is likely only so because of the weight of the company. There is no dispute that they have a very broad amount of consumers under their belt, and yes they sure have loyalty. Problem is, most of those people think that Bose is the best money can buy. You walk up to any joe on the street and ask what they know about Bose they would likely give you a positive comment or would at least acnowledge the existance of Bose. You ask about Paradigm, Ascend, PSB they just shake their heads.

For a pretty penny it may sound good, but not as good as many things that could be had for much less than Bose.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
There are lots of threads about Bose products here and I sure believe Bose makes modest quality at a too high price. I have owned some Bose speakers and never consider Bose when buying anything now. I owned the 901 Series III for several years until about 15 years ago and still own their popular satellites and bass module, AM something model purchased 15 years ago, my son is using it.

This thread is about SDAT speakers and I have seen those speakers for sale online for years but never heard them. I would expect the speakers to sound like the price indicates which means they could be a good deal in bargain speakers. There are enough reviews to indicate some people actually purchase and use them. I recently needed a set of inexpensive speakers for a home theater at my girlfriend's house and purchased the Fluance SX-HTB+, at least I believe that is the model number, and we love the speakers for the money. I did consider SDAT speakers for less money but believed Fluance would be better. Fluance has 100% positive feedback after over 1,000 transactions on eBay and there have been several threads discussing the speakers at various forums. Auction number 9734337986 describes the home theater package I purchased and they also offer several models of pairs of speakers. For the money and with their reputation, I believe Fluance is the name to beat in inexpensive online speakers. More money to spend, buy something better. Could anything by SDAT be as good a value? It is hard to tell, but doubtful.

Chris

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
They have random specs, that inclines me not to trust them. A small bookshelf cannot reproduce 20hz. At least other white van speakers try to sound legit, these guys aren't even giving any effort at all.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I paid $80 for a pair of Wharfedale Modus 1.6 speakers at ubid a few years back. They don't compare with the B&W DM602s in my theater, naturally, but are definitely many steps up from White Van speakers. These SDAT speakers look to be as comparable to Fluance or KLH or any of a host of legitimate brands making low priced decent speakers for people whose needs are more modest than many of us here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks