Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Cannonball Run 2001: Race Across America

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 06 2001 - 04:57 PM

Am I the only person watching this show (Cannonball Run 2001: Race Across America) on the USA Network? Posted Image If you don't know what it is, it's basically a reality series based on the Cannonball Run race. Six teams, and they must get from New York to Los Angeles in ten days, and they must not pass the speed limit (now that's not fun Posted Image).

The show is better than most reality series out there now. I just wished they got rid of that announcer guy who pops in every now and then as it makes the show feel "serious" when I don't think anybody can take this show "serious" at all.

I watched the first episode last night and any show that has two frat boys teamed up with an old lady, two rednecks hooked up with a nice looking girl, or two playboy bunnies with a seminary student is worth a watch in my book. Posted Image

Also, I want either The Castaways or Hip Hop and Pop (and with the first episode, they're most likely) to win. Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image
DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted August 06 2001 - 06:30 PM

Sounds good, but 10 days? I can remember a couple of cross-country (California to Massachussetts) roadtrips as a small kid that took 7 days max. My dad was one of those obsessive guys who insisted on making at least 600 miles a day. These trips occurred in 1955 in a 53 Chevy Convertible, and again in 58 in a 58 Buick, before the interstate highway system was finished. Both trips were in summer and neither car had ac. No flat tires, mechanical failures, or any other real problems, but we did go over the speed limit. BTW, in 1958 the speed limit on the Oklahoma Turnpike and Will Rogers Turnpike was 85 mph. I just realized how much the above looks like one of those "we walked 20 miles through the snow to school every day" old-fart rants--sorry. ------------------ Steve S. I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted August 07 2001 - 07:45 AM

My parents drove from Grautin (sp?) Connecticut to Sand Diego in six days in 1966 (I am sure they didn't stick to the speed limit). I spent most of the trip in the back of our Rambler station wagon. I didn't know the show was on yet. I'll have to check it out. Too bad they didn't get the announcer from Death Race 2000 (I think he's also in Grand Theft Auto). ------------------ These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted August 07 2001 - 07:55 AM

Me and my 3 (older) sisters drove from NJ all the way to Calgary, Alberta in about 5 days (my father was the only one to drive) in a Country Squire station wagon. We used to live on Spam and Vienna sausage and sleep in the back of the wagon. The seats were vinyl and the AC didn't matter, you'd stick to the vinyl seats in below 0 weather! Also, we'd also pick up tons of grasshoppers, dragonflies and bugs on the huge front radiator grill on the wagon... Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Supporting Actor

• 875 posts

Posted August 07 2001 - 08:37 AM

One can make the trip from NY to LA non-stop in less than 3 days. (only 50 hours of actual driving at speed limit rides) Of course that is rotating drivers who are able to get some sleep between sessions. But with 3 people in a team I'd think it would be easy to do.

Found the website. Ugh. They are certainly not taking the "easy" route. For one thing they are driving all the way down to Atlanta? Also it seems they have to stop periodically to perform various challenges.

[Edited last by Danny R on August 07, 2001 at 11:41 AM]
They found my psych results fit a certain profile. A certain "Moral flexibility" would be the best way to describe it....

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted August 07 2001 - 11:17 AM

I like the http://www.gumball3000.com

/Mike
/Mike

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted August 07 2001 - 04:45 PM

The people on MTV's "Jackass" ran the Gumball3k race (it was one of their episodes this season). Greg [Edited last by Greg_R on August 07, 2001 at 07:46 PM]

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Jim_F

Jim_F

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted August 07 2001 - 11:05 PM

The bicycle RAAM has been done in a little over 8 days.
"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember."

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted August 08 2001 - 07:52 AM

Greag, yeah I heard they were gonna do a thing about the Gumball 3K, but since I never watch "Jackass" I missed it. Was it any good? /Mike
/Mike

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   William Laughner

William Laughner

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted August 08 2001 - 02:44 PM

The contest is actually "6 team, 5 days, to get from New York to L.A."

I have been watching it since the first night and absolutely love it.
Spoiler:
I was really dissapointed when "Forbidden Fruit" got disqualified for taking "The Castaways" keys.
I think I am in love with the Russian playmate from "Forbidden Fruit", Natalia Sokolov. Posted Image

For anyone who is interested in watching this great little show...USA is playing all 5 episodes starting at 1:00pm on Sunday, August 12th.

Ladies & Gentlemen, Set your TiVo's!

www.cannonballrun.com

www.usastudios.com/series/cannonball2001/

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 08 2001 - 03:10 PM

[quote]

I was really dissapointed when "Forbidden Fruit" got disqualified for taking "The Castaways" keys.

[quote]

They might've been hot, but they were annoying. I really wanted to see...

Spoiler:
the fratboys head out instead of Hog Wild in last night's episode, hopefully the fratboys will exit out on tonight's episode.

------------------
Posted Image
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   William Laughner

William Laughner

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted August 08 2001 - 06:39 PM

[quote]

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"6 team, 5 days, to get from New York to L.A."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I made a goof and it's 9 days, not ten. Five episodes, with the first four episodes have the first eight days with the final episode dealing with the last day.

[quote]

I also made a goof...show how memorable that amazingly asinine theme song is...if we can't even get the days straight when it is in the song at the beginning of every show. Posted Image

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 08 2001 - 06:51 PM

Couldn't they show...

"Six team, nine days, five episodes?"

Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 12:05 AM

Just watched the repeat of tonight's episode and...

Spoiler:
The Castaways are "roadkill!"

And they were one of the teams I wanted to win! Hopefully, the "frat bastards" will lose big time on the finale (tonight) and either...

Spoiler:
Hip Hop and Pop and The Third Wheal

win. Posted Image

And during the sneek peek of tonight's episode looks like Jane and Matt will be spliting up. Uh oh....

------------------
Posted Image

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted August 09 2001 - 12:25 AM

I've seen previews for this show. So who's winning so far, Burt Renolds and captain Chaos in their ambulance, Roger Moore in his 007 car, or the two hot chicks in the black Lamboraguini? ------------------ The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 12:34 AM

John, actually Jackie Chan in his high tech Subaru. Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Ike

Ike

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 02:58 AM

The Gumball 3000 episode of Jackass was the most tame Jackass ever. It was also an hourlong, and they teased the American Gumball 3000, from LA to NY. It was funny, but Jack really tried to be more of a document of this trip than something that makes you laugh out loud (which the low-brow antics usually make me do, in the same vein that one watches a Three Stooges marathon). The formula of the show (wild, short bits that top each other, until we get the last sketch, which is almost always the best.) was changed, and it really didn't work that well, but it certainly wasn't the worst Jackass ever. Highlights were Bunny and Steve-O wrestling in the car, Steve-O's stay at the hotel, and just the assorted bits of the guy's fucking around in the car. Well that's for those that are interested in Jackass's version (I haven't watched, and don't plan on it, the USA version.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users