Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Showtime's "Dexter"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
112 replies to this topic

#101 of 113 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 11:30 PM

After "losing" Kidnapped and Daybreak it was really satisfying just getting through a story arc on one of my favorite shows.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#102 of 113 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,592 posts

Posted December 18 2006 - 01:22 AM

I thought it was a good wrap-up to the season as well. Now Rita's second-guessing of Dex after finding the shoe could make things a little tense between her and Dex. Rita's come a long way, not putting up with Paul's narc sponsor, and just not self-conscious enough to not tell him to just go away. Rita in the past would have let the sponsor get the best of her in those situations. Wonder how the Dex-Doakes cat-n-mouse games will end up. Also, what kind of person is the new Lt., and does Maria have an ally in place. Dex just wants to be loved for what he does, LOL at that ending sequence of Dex experiencing the adulation he so desperately wants for his actions.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#103 of 113 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,109 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted December 18 2006 - 07:24 AM

You know, the records lady that knows Dexter's history is going to know that the ITK was his brother, since his real name came out. Especially since Dexter had been dredging that history up recently. I hope this isn't ignored next season.

#104 of 113 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 03:29 AM

I gotta say, 2006 is/was a stellar year for TV. And this is one of the main reasons for saying so (the other show being BSG, but that's another thread).

It's interesting to see just how strongly Harry's "code" has taken root in Dexter; his voice-over about killing the one person who knew and accepted him for who he really was, was so plaintive you had to feel for the guy, yet Harry's code required him to off the ITK. Or perhaps it was adopted familial love, his stated reason after all was to protect Deb.

Gerat stuff, now for the interminable long wait until S2... but at least now I can go look for the book!

#105 of 113 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 04:13 AM

Nooooo, don't read the 2nd book. I read the first and it sort of ruined the series for me. Unless you're referring to the first book then by all means, go ahead and read that one. Posted Image
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#106 of 113 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 07:16 AM

Anyone know the name or writer of the theme? Or where I could download it?

#107 of 113 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 01:13 PM

Jeff Lindsay.. "Darkly Dreaming Dexter"
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#108 of 113 Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 04:17 PM

I'm planning on reading the first book myself, but I have to ask, is it completely self-contained in this season? By reading it, will there be any spoilers for next season?

#109 of 113 StephenK

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted December 26 2006 - 05:01 AM

I went out and bought the book as soon as the season ended and I was sorely disappointed. By no means is it bad, but I found that everything was better on the TV show. Not the least of which was the prose, especially Dexter's voiceovers.

Also, as was previously mentioned, the show, (by necessity), contains SO much more in the way of character development in every single facet. As an example, the flashback to when Harry was sick in the hospital contains just the hospital conversation with Dexter. The actual killing is not even described. Angel gets mentioned maybe 3 times total. Rita's ex is just background story, etc etc.

I don't feel cheated in buying the book and in some way feel glad in supporting the writer of such a great character, but expect to be disappointed. By the way, there's no spoilers for any future series.

Steve

#110 of 113 todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 05:12 AM

just started watching this show, I am thoroughly enjoying it. How is it doing in the ratings?
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#111 of 113 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 05:39 AM

If you read the second and third books, that would spoil the upcoming seasons.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#112 of 113 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 02:30 PM

It was renewed for TWO more seasons by Showtime. That's a good sign. I think it did well, it sure deserved to do well.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#113 of 113 Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 09:13 AM

I agree, the book felt like a short story compared to the show, really.