What's new

Showtime's "Dexter" (2 Viewers)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I managed to catch an episode of this thanks to a sneak peek opportunity.

Let me say this: Dexter has some rough places, but this may be one of the most brilliantly conceived TV series I've ever seen. In fact, I watched the pilot and was stunned. This may be the best pilot I have seen for any show since "Sopranos". That's hard for me to say since I deeply loved "Carnivale" and several other shows, but the performances in "Dexter" are so damn good that it's stunning.

The direction is involving, you feel as though you crawl inside the character. And at times, it's good and you feel for him. At other times, you're sickened by what's going on.

I'm a bit afraid that because this show is on Showtime it will be missed by too many people to really latch on, but looking at the current schedule of TV I'm struggling to come up with a show that I find more effective then Dexter.

That's not to say that I don't love other programs; I enjoy Grey's, 24, The Wire, etc, and I eagerly await BSG.

But Dexter reminds me of Season 2 of Sopranos. I would sit and make steak dinner and block Sunday night out for Sopranos. Sopranos Season 2 required that kind of attention.

If the rest of the season of Dexter holds up as good as it's pilot, it could be that kind of television. It still has rough spots, and it won't be my "favorite" program on TV when it starts, though it'll be near there, but it has all the right pieces - especially performances and plot - that this could be something really unique.

I know, a lot of people don't have Showtime. But if you do, and you're willing to watch something fairly dark & twisted (this is NOT for the kiddies) save some time back. Dexter is that good.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I saw the trailer for this. A serial killer working for the police? Quite a far-out premise, which could be really interesting if well-executed. I'm assuming that there are shades of "it takes one to know/catch one", and perhaps some of the killings the police hand to Dexter to solve are actually his, and he somehow pins it on someone else, or manages to lose/muddle up evidence that would point to him. I'm certainly intrigued.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I saw the online sneek peek too. What a great pilot, it's too bad I don't have Showtime (though "Dexter" has tempted me to subscribe more than anything else)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've been watching Brotherhood on Showtime, and their promos for Dexter have been so relentless that I feel like I've already seen the pilot. Still, I'm planning to watch it.

Dexter only kills serial killers. He was raised by a cop who recognized his "tendencies" and decided to channel them toward something "constructive".

At least, that's what I've learned from the various promos. (The series is based on a novel, BTW.)

M.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Tonight's episode was pretty creepy. The narration gave me the willies a few times. I'm not sure if I'd say this is fantastic, but it is pretty interesting. This episode was pretty gruesome but I dug it. Now I'll have to see if it holds up over a few episodes.

Jace_A

Second Unit
Enough with the voice over. Show don't tell. Otherwise, it was OK but I hope his stupid, ditzy sister is the serial killer's next victim. She's plain unabearable.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Continues it's dark path. I dig it. It's kind of like hmm... what's that NBC show with the former prosecutor on LA Law as a coroner? That show if the coroner was somewhat evil :)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I don't have Showtime but I'm curious to see it. Michael C. Hall was great on Six Feet Under (which is now being rerun on Bravo) so I'm curious to see how he'll play a serial killer

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If you've got InDemand, Showtime has the first three episodes on InDemand. So you can watch a week ahead. Yeah, it's not HD and this show should be seen in HD, but it's still good to watch ahead :)

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'm finding the show is just TOO gratuitious... It might be the first show we ditch this year.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I really like this show. So far it's turning the run of the mill police procedural show on its ear.

I'm ok with the narration voice overs here, they don't bother me any more than the VOs on "Veronica Mars".

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I do like what this is doing to the police formula. Very different. The third episode is a doozy! Thanks for the heads up on inDemand. Jeez. I was pretty suprised because

from the second episode, I figured the first person he had killed was that copy killer.. I really didn't expect that twist. And him being able to show mercy, etc. Interesting turns.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Saw the 2nd episode and it's so compelling to watch with morbid fascination of this battle of wits and blood between serial killers with different agendas. Loving the premise and the introspective narrative of Dex.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I watched the first 2 episodes via free Showtime weekend on DirecTV. I had only heard a couple of blurbs about it before, so when I watched the pilot, I was amazed.

Really liked the pilot. The second episode was a bit of a letdown. I think they need to keep up the 'creepiness' of Dexter as I think that's what works and what makes it interesting. I like that he only kills serial killers, but they need to showcase the idosyncrasies of a serial killer - show him 'dealing' with the urge to kill, continue to put the plastic on his head, etc. - otherwise he becomes just another bland vigilantee.

I haven't seen the 3rd episode so maybe this is moot. I just think Dexter works better if the line between good and evil is a little thinner.

Oh, and I like the voiceovers. I really like the end of the first episode - "and yes, I wanna play!"

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That guy collecting on Rita's ex's drug debt was lucky he got away with what he got away with because Dex could have messed him up 6 ways to Sunday (and maybe that's a dangling plot thread to be dealt with later).

Dex's sympathy with the juvie adds more layers of hurt and abuse Dex also suffered as a foster child in the system.

Had to laugh when the cops set up the one that confronted the drug lord at his daughter's party. Cops don't like other cops banging on other undercover cops' wives.

Dex's sister seems to be getting set up for some bad to happen to her because she is driven to solve the crimes, but doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Anyhow, another interesting episode in which the hour seems to fly by when I watch this show.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

Finally got to see episode 3, and I enjoyed it. Loved the scene where he comes out of the dark at his 'target'. Good 'creep' scene that I spoke about before.

Rita's ex: my question is, could he (messed him up 6 ways)? I mean, obviously Dexter doesn't have a problem with death/dismemberment, but how about confrontation? His SOP is to catch his prey off-guard, not a direct assault. (even in the morbidly funny scene where he makes his first kill - Lt. Yar - he catches her by surprise) He didn't even take out the druglord, athough, that was probably more a matter of not getting caught as opposed to avoiding conflict. I wouldn't be surprised if they reveal later in the season where he can't/won't confront someone.

I agree about the hour seems to fly by. Best thing on Showtime since Stargate SG1.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

This character is very frustating for me to watch. I'm suppose to accept that a cop who has worked undercover as a hooker, and survived, has ZERO street sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks