Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blade Season 1 DVD News (Good News & Bad News)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 07:14 AM

I've got some good news for you as well as some bad news.

Quote:
Blade Gets The Spike

Spike TV confirmed to SCI FI Wire reports that its original series Blade has been canceled. "Yes, that's true," a Spike representative said in an interview on Sept. 29. "It won't be renewed for a second season. I can tell you that Spike TV was very happy with the creative part of Blade. The cast, the actual production. We absolutely enjoyed working with New Line and [ex ecutive producer] David Goyer, [writer] Geoff Johns. But honestly, the network was disappointed with the audience turnout and the ratings. But I can tell you that New Line is going to be issuing a DVD of the entire season." No date was announced for the DVD.

The statement confirmed rumors first posted by co-star Jill Wagner on her MySpace.com page, according to a report on the THEOcracy Web site. The post in which Wagner (Krista Starr) reports the news is only visible to Wagner's friends. The news was also reported on Ain't It Cool News.

The series was quietly put to sleep after the end of its first 13-episode season. The show was based on the Blade movies and the Marvel Comics character, with Kirk "Sticky" Jones playing the title character. Wagner played his counterpart, a former soldier who becomes a vampire but struggles to retain her humanity.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 08:15 AM

oh frack

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 10:18 AM

That source is from Sci Fi.com

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,098 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 29 2006 - 10:37 AM

From what I read on another site, part of the cancellation-rationale was...too many female viewers tuning into the show.

More of them than Spike preferred, evidently. And then not enough of them sticking around for Ultimate Fighting afterward or whatever.

Totally non-ironic. Worst part is, though, no more weekly Jill Wagner for us.

...Fuck.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 11:46 AM

Dammit just when it was becoming a must see for me. Why oh why did it have to end like that :angry:

Atleast it'll get a DVD release just hope there are some insights into what they were planning.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshEH
From what I read on another site, part of the cancellation-rationale was...too many female viewers tuning into the show.

More of them than Spike preferred, evidently. And then not enough of them sticking around for Ultimate Fighting afterward or whatever.

Oddly enough, that's the same problem TNT had with Babylon 5 & Crusade. The ratings were fine, but it was attracting the wrong demographic. Or so one of the rumors goes.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 04:39 PM

I tuned out early because the series wasn't doing anything for me. I love the movies, but maybe I should give the cancelled series a second shot on DVD.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 09:30 PM

I can see why Spike canceled the series. Casting a rap star in the role of Blade was a very bad mistake. I thoroughly enjoyed the movies based on this character and I had decided to give this new series a chance but I could not get over Sticky Fingaz whiney voice as Blade ... it just didn't beg me to watch another episode and I sat through the first 15 minutes of the pilot and decided that was enough ...

Forum Nav Content I Follow