What's new

What makes Fox beholden to Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Serious question. I know they are exclusively Blu-Ray right now, but if HD-DVD starts to look like a viable format where money can be made what would prevent Fox from releasing titles on the format? Do they have a financial interest in Blu-Ray technology?

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I think, one of the reasons is that THEY believe that blu-ray is the way to GO........ so only time will tell...

Marek

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Trust me, it's about the extra copy protection associated with the Blu-ray format. The same applies to Disney. Some of the studios worry more about this issue than the other studios.

Crawdaddy

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Robert, correct me if I am wrong. But didn't HD-DVD strengthen their copy protection to attempt to level the playing field? Thought I read that somewhere, but I could be mistaken.

Thomas Eisenmann

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I could be mistaken. It is hard to tell real news from rumor with so much floating around.

Thomas Eisenmann

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
Nope.

Bluray has countermeasures such as BD+ (revokable license) and ROM Mark on top of AACS

what is interesting in this article is Maureen Weber from HP did a 180-degree% about face :) ...
http://www.physorg.com/news5725.html
The Blu-ray Disc content management system includes three primary components: Advanced Access Content System (AACS), "BD+", a Blu-ray specific enhancement for content protection renewability, and "ROM Mark", a measure unique to Blu-ray Disc to guard against mass production piracy or the mass duplication and sale of unauthorized copies of pre-recorded media.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Even for those who never even contemplate copying (or playing) illegal discs, the proposed DRM on Blu-ray is very menacing.

And basically adds consumer unfriendliness.

Cees

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Fox is highly committed to Blu-Ray. They made a point
of addressing the copy protection factor.

They are not considering HD-DVD at this time.

From what I am hearing, the studio has an unbelievable
slate of new titles that will be announced over the next
few months. Despite its initial Blu-Ray releases, the studio
is stepping up efforts to release PRIME titles that people.
I think people are going to be very happy about some of
the titles due to be announced shortly.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Glen,

Thanks for the correction. Just read through the artical and it helped clarify a few things on the copy protection of BR to me.

Thomas Eisenmann

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Yep. I was just about to pop into this thread and give the same two-word answer: 'copy protection'. I seem to remember Fox backing DIVX until the last for the very same reasons.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
And this is from the same format who's fans beleaguered the "other" format for excessive CP.

I believe the added CP of BD will hold studios to be "loyal", until sales convince them otherwise.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

Which will be fine and all, but look at Divx. They will follow the money. When they start seeing key segments of HD DVD sales and how well they will do, share holders will not be too happy that they shun the market of potential increased revenue.

Give it time people. Give it time.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I love it, this very website once had a huge thread that was (mis)titled something like "It's true- HD-DVD will limit resolution over component", when in the end it turned out that not only A. NO studios were enabling the limiting of component output resolution until 2010 at the earliest, and B. Blu-ray had the EXACT SAME potential resolution limiting via componant built in...

And yet, it's fine and dandy that Blu-ray has such 1984-esque "copy protection" built in at the start which makes it so "attractive" to some studios...

YAY BLU-RAY!

I love Big Brother...

Vincent

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
Historically, resourceful individuals have been able to break any type of copy protection that the studios come up with. Is it thought that history will repeat itself yet again in this case?

Basically, I am wondering if all of this copy protection, which often puts the law-abiding consumer at a disadvantage, is for naught…

GordonL

Supporting Actor
While it is possible, I'm beginning to think it's going to be very difficult. Especially when Walmart B&M is pricing BD at $25 and HD-DVD at $20 per movie. Not to mention the XBox 360 HD-DVD add-on at the $200 price point while Blu-Ray drives are $750. I suspect a lot of people will snap those up whether they have an XBox 360 or not. Those that don't have an XBox will take the drive for use with their Media Center PCs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We'll see as the market will determine the eventual outcome, whatever that's going to be.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks