-

Photo
- - - - -

What makes Fox beholden to Blu-Ray?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#1 of 86 Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 01:41 AM

Serious question. I know they are exclusively Blu-Ray right now, but if HD-DVD starts to look like a viable format where money can be made what would prevent Fox from releasing titles on the format? Do they have a financial interest in Blu-Ray technology?

#2 of 86 MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert
Serious question. I know they are exclusively Blu-Ray right now, but if HD-DVD starts to look like a viable format where money can be made what would prevent Fox from releasing titles on the format? Do they have a financial interest in Blu-Ray technology?

I think, one of the reasons is that THEY believe that blu-ray is the way to GO........ so only time will tell...

Marek

#3 of 86 Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 02:27 AM

I red somewhere it was because BD has "better" copy-protection

#4 of 86 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,539 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 28 2006 - 02:53 AM

Trust me, it's about the extra copy protection associated with the Blu-ray format. The same applies to Disney. Some of the studios worry more about this issue than the other studios.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#5 of 86 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Trust me, it's about the extra copy protection associated with the Blu-ray format. The same applies to Disney. Some of the studios worry more about this issue than the other studios.

Crawdaddy

Robert, correct me if I am wrong. But didn't HD-DVD strengthen their copy protection to attempt to level the playing field? Thought I read that somewhere, but I could be mistaken.

Thomas Eisenmann
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#6 of 86 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,539 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 28 2006 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
Robert, correct me if I am wrong. But didn't HD-DVD strengthen their copy protection to attempt to level the playing field? Thought I read that somewhere, but I could be mistaken.

Thomas Eisenmann
I haven't read that.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#7 of 86 MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 04:55 AM

yes, I forgot that one about copy protection.......... Posted Image

Marek

#8 of 86 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 05:06 AM

Quote:
I haven't read that.
Crawdaddy

I could be mistaken. It is hard to tell real news from rumor with so much floating around.

Thomas Eisenmann

#9 of 86 Glen C

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
Nope.

Bluray has countermeasures such as BD+ (revokable license) and ROM Mark on top of AACS

what is interesting in this article is Maureen Weber from HP did a 180-degree% about face Posted Image ...
http://www.physorg.com/news5725.html
The Blu-ray Disc content management system includes three primary components: Advanced Access Content System (AACS), "BD+", a Blu-ray specific enhancement for content protection renewability, and "ROM Mark", a measure unique to Blu-ray Disc to guard against mass production piracy or the mass duplication and sale of unauthorized copies of pre-recorded media.

#10 of 86 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,625 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 08:04 PM

Even for those who never even contemplate copying (or playing) illegal discs, the proposed DRM on Blu-ray is very menacing.

And basically adds consumer unfriendliness.

Cees

#11 of 86 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,707 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 10:08 PM

Fox is highly committed to Blu-Ray. They made a point
of addressing the copy protection factor.

They are not considering HD-DVD at this time.

From what I am hearing, the studio has an unbelievable
slate of new titles that will be announced over the next
few months. Despite its initial Blu-Ray releases, the studio
is stepping up efforts to release PRIME titles that people.
I think people are going to be very happy about some of
the titles due to be announced shortly.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 86 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen C
Nope.

Bluray has countermeasures such as BD+ (revokable license) and ROM Mark on top of AACS

what is interesting in this article is Maureen Weber from HP did a 180-degree% about face Posted Image ...
http://www.physorg.com/news5725.html
The Blu-ray Disc content management system includes three primary components: Advanced Access Content System (AACS), "BD+", a Blu-ray specific enhancement for content protection renewability, and "ROM Mark", a measure unique to Blu-ray Disc to guard against mass production piracy or the mass duplication and sale of unauthorized copies of pre-recorded media.

Glen,

Thanks for the correction. Just read through the artical and it helped clarify a few things on the copy protection of BR to me.

Thomas Eisenmann

#13 of 86 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 03:15 AM

Yep. I was just about to pop into this thread and give the same two-word answer: 'copy protection'. I seem to remember Fox backing DIVX until the last for the very same reasons.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#14 of 86 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM
yes, I forgot that one about copy protection.......... Posted Image

Marek
And this is from the same format who's fans beleaguered the "other" format for excessive CP.

I believe the added CP of BD will hold studios to be "loyal", until sales convince them otherwise.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#15 of 86 Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted September 30 2006 - 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Fox is highly committed to Blu-Ray. They made a point
of addressing the copy protection factor.

They are not considering HD-DVD at this time.

Which will be fine and all, but look at Divx. They will follow the money. When they start seeing key segments of HD DVD sales and how well they will do, share holders will not be too happy that they shun the market of potential increased revenue.

Give it time people. Give it time.
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#16 of 86 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,539 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 30 2006 - 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hedger
Which will be fine and all, but look at Divx. They will follow the money. When they start seeing key segments of HD DVD sales and how well they will do, share holders will not be too happy that they shun the market of potential increased revenue.

Give it time people. Give it time.
It's possible that in time, Blu-ray sales will bypass HD DVD so then what?

Crawdaddy

#17 of 86 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,726 posts

Posted September 30 2006 - 02:58 PM

I love it, this very website once had a huge thread that was (mis)titled something like "It's true- HD-DVD will limit resolution over component", when in the end it turned out that not only A. NO studios were enabling the limiting of component output resolution until 2010 at the earliest, and B. Blu-ray had the EXACT SAME potential resolution limiting via componant built in...

And yet, it's fine and dandy that Blu-ray has such 1984-esque "copy protection" built in at the start which makes it so "attractive" to some studios...

YAY BLU-RAY!

I love Big Brother...

Vincent

#18 of 86 Dan Hinson

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted September 30 2006 - 04:23 PM

Historically, resourceful individuals have been able to break any type of copy protection that the studios come up with. Is it thought that history will repeat itself yet again in this case?

Basically, I am wondering if all of this copy protection, which often puts the law-abiding consumer at a disadvantage, is for naught…
“I don't think I'm alone in the world in imagining this flick may be the worst idea since Greedo shooting first.” - Ben Affleck as Holden McNeil in 'Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.'

#19 of 86 GordonL

GordonL

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted September 30 2006 - 06:24 PM

Quote:
It's possible that in time, Blu-ray sales will bypass HD DVD so then what?
While it is possible, I'm beginning to think it's going to be very difficult. Especially when Walmart B&M is pricing BD at $25 and HD-DVD at $20 per movie. Not to mention the XBox 360 HD-DVD add-on at the $200 price point while Blu-Ray drives are $750. I suspect a lot of people will snap those up whether they have an XBox 360 or not. Those that don't have an XBox will take the drive for use with their Media Center PCs.

#20 of 86 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,539 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 30 2006 - 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonL
While it is possible, I'm beginning to think it's going to be very difficult. Especially when Walmart B&M is pricing BD at $25 and HD-DVD at $20 per movie. Not to mention the XBox 360 HD-DVD add-on at the $200 price point while Blu-Ray drives are $750. I suspect a lot of people will snap those up whether they have an XBox 360 or not. Those that don't have an XBox will take the drive for use with their Media Center PCs.
We'll see as the market will determine the eventual outcome, whatever that's going to be.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow