What's new

Monty Python and the Holy Grail...Again? (1 Viewer)

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I believe they have something from the musical SPAMALOT somewhere on it right? Having seen the musical when it hit Toronto, I doesn't mean much to me. Seems odd they'd wait what, two years since SPAMALOT first debuted to rerelease the DVD with the added bonus feature.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
And how do we know this is a "new" transfer?

I've seen the disc (I work at a retail store and it came in yesterday) and all of the extras and details of dvd 1 (film) are exactly the same as the 2001 disc, right down to the "killer rabbit" function.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Something's weird about this release. DVDEmpire has it for 10/3 with a list price of 29.99. Amazon has an Extraordinarily Special Editon for a list of 19.99 but the date is still January 2010 (dummy date). DeepdiscountDVD has not listing for it.

Obviously it's coming since Kevin has seen it-but why haven't the online retailers gotten more current info?

Colin, do you have a review copy? This is one I'd prefer to wait for reviews before buying.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yup. The file dates on the DVD are 2006, and the transfer looked improved to me. The 2001 transfer suffered from some source flaws I didn't see here...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Thanks for the update Colin! Even though I find you like what I don't like and vice versa, what I see on my displays always seems to mirror your review observations almost exactly. I will now give this a shot based on your assessment.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

During the opening title screen ("Monty Python and the Holy Grail") there should be a "Swedish" subtitle that says "Mønti Pythøn ik den Høli Gräilen". This was missing in Sony's previous DVD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Man. I can't wait to hear Colin's reply to the subtitle question. That authoring mistake has to rank right up there with the switched audio channels of music on the '04 release of Star Wars Ep. IV.

I also can't wait to read all the posts "I'll buy it to get the fixed subtitle!" and "Spend another $20 to buy something again that should have been right the first time?!". :D

Anthony Clifton

Stunt Coordinator
The back cover at DVDEmpire does list a new transfer "remastered in High Definition widescreen" as one of the "New!" features on the disc.

I too would consider upgrading if the subtitle is fixed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Talk about a cliff-hanger.

I feel like I'm tied to the train tracks and Colin is driving the train that's bearing down on me.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks