-

Photo

X3: X-Men The Last Stand DVD review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
146 replies to this topic

#1 of 147 Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted September 26 2006 - 12:38 AM

HI,

Watched this last night using the Toshiba HD A1 upconverting to 1080i on my AVIA calibrated Samsung 61" Dlp.

The picture quality was excellent with good color saturation, excellent black levels and a good level of detail. While the movie for the most part is not paticularly colorful, a lot of muted color schemes and earthy tones, black leather etc, the dvd looked very good in my set up. not HD good but certainly excellent for an SD disk. (wonder when the Blu ray version of this will be out, too bad it won't be out on HD DVD Posted Image ). I found myself wondering how good it would look in HD as it certainly looked good in SD.

Sound was also excellent. I used the DTS 6.1 ES track through my Yamaha DSP-A1 and Paradigm reference set up but did not listen to at reference levels (it was a bit later in the evening when I was watching it). The bass was deep and affecting, especially during the scenes where Magneto struts his stuff. Excellent use of surrounds and panning effects. There is not a lot of subtlety to the track but what quiet scenes there are were handled well.

I did not notice any digital artifacts in this release, no edge enhancement or ringing.

I watched some of the deleted scenes, all were anamorphic and done in DD 5.1, which was nice. There is one scene in particular with Storm and a wave that had some very serious bass. Kind of felt sorry for the neighbors on that one as I was not expecting the deleted scenes to be as loud or deep as they were and it was about Midnight when I was watching them...Oops. : )

I liked the film and the DVD does an excellent job of recreating the theatrical experience at home, not quite HD good, but certain excellent by SD standards.

Dave

#2 of 147 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,933 posts

Posted September 26 2006 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the review, this is definetly on the list for purchase.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#3 of 147 Dave GR

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted September 26 2006 - 01:33 AM

Just one thing - you mixed up your titles. I think you mean X-Men III: The Last Stand, not X-Men United.Posted Image

(admin note - title fixed)

#4 of 147 Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted September 26 2006 - 02:10 AM

You are absolutely correct! I have edited it. Must have been all the talk about being united and in it together that got me on the wrong title!

Thanks for the heads up!

Jerome, I am not sure if you should buy this release or wait for the inevitable super duper 2 disk version wihich will undoubted follow this release around x-mas...

#5 of 147 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,696 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 26 2006 - 04:08 AM

Brett Ratner's already said a two disc SE is coming, Dave. I'm still picking this one up and we'll see about the 2 disc. It's gonna have to offer something bigger and badder than the normal double dips.

#6 of 147 Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 26 2006 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V
Brett Ratner's already said a two disc SE is coming, Dave. I'm still picking this one up and we'll see about the 2 disc. It's gonna have to offer something bigger and badder than the normal double dips.

Why bother wait?

http://www.cd-wow.us....ct_code=383872
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#7 of 147 Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted September 26 2006 - 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus T

Not everyone here has a multi-region player or wants to import discs. I'm perfectly content to wait and get a free movie ticket or something in the second edition.

#8 of 147 Seretur

Seretur

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted September 26 2006 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the review. I've held off purchasing any of the X-Men movies so far, not being particularly thrilled with their current incarnations. I have high hopes for the R2 trilogy box, but I'll wait to see what the reviews say. Hopefully the reference-quality soundtracks will be ported across the regional boundaries.

And if the Blu-ray release is handled properly, it might be enough to make me a convert to the format. Posted Image

#9 of 147 Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted September 26 2006 - 09:38 AM

"Not everyone here has a multi-region player or wants to import discs"

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with having a multi-region player or importing discs. I regularly use www.dvdbeaver.com and www.dvdcompare.net and http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3 to source the best editions of discs.

Some great classic films are also only available , say, in Japan or Europe so why do without ? Posted Image

~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#10 of 147 Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted September 26 2006 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the review but I'll wait for the SE.

#11 of 147 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted September 27 2006 - 10:21 AM

Thought this only had a DD EX track. It has DTS-ES as well???

DVD Empire doesn't mention it:

http://www.dvdempire....ite_media_id=2
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#12 of 147 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,089 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 27 2006 - 11:22 AM

yes it does.
and it sounds great
Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 147 RichP

RichP

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkin The Ewok
Not everyone here has a multi-region player or wants to import discs. I'm perfectly content to wait and get a free movie ticket or something in the second edition.

Not me! I ordered the R3 2-disc set, should be here next week! Posted Image

#14 of 147 Matthew Clayton

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reda
Thought this only had a DD EX track. It has DTS-ES as well???

DVD Empire doesn't mention it:

http://www.dvdempire....ite_media_id=2

DVD Empire posted the back artwork for both standard and collector's edition, and the back artwork states that X3 has both DD 5.1 EX and DTS 6.1 ES tracks.

Dave>h, was the version you reviewed a final copy or a watermarked screener? And does the standard edition have a chapter insert?

#15 of 147 Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 03:08 AM

Matt,

The copy I watched was the standard version sold in stores, not a screener and it does have DTS ES 6.1 on it and it does sound awesome.

I am still going to wait for the super duper two disc'er of this title before purchasing (or wait until both a Blu ray version comes out and a blu ray machine can be had for under a Grand!)

DAve

#16 of 147 Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 04:44 AM

I'm not completely hung-up on the lack of extras, but will there be a longer version of the movie at some point?

103 minutes seems a bit short. Enough for fluff like FF, but not enough X3.

If a longer version is coming, then I'll wait.

#17 of 147 Matthew Clayton

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave>h
Matt,

The copy I watched was the standard version sold in stores, not a screener and it does have DTS ES 6.1 on it and it does sound awesome.

I am still going to wait for the super duper two disc'er of this title before purchasing (or wait until both a Blu ray version comes out and a blu ray machine can be had for under a Grand!)

DAve

You still didn't answer my question of whether the final copy includes a chapter insert.... does it or not? (I'm curious, because it seems that Fox only does chapter inserts for their flipper discs and 2-disc sets, and put promotional inserts in movies that have separate full-screen and widescreen editions nowadays.)

#18 of 147 Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@N
I'm not completely hung-up on the lack of extras, but will there be a longer version of the movie at some point?

I read somewhere that Ratner said the film we saw in theaters is exactly what he wanted us to see, so there probably won't be an version with footage added back into the film itself.

#19 of 147 Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 06:41 AM

That's a shame, since I heard the movie felt rushed and overly compressed (in terms of plot).

Maybe the box office slowdown has forced studios to cut movie budgets and runtimes.

#20 of 147 AndrewR

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 07:50 PM

Got my shipping notice from CD-Wow for the 2 Discer!

"Not everyone here has a multi-region player or wants to import discs. I'm perfectly content to wait and get a free movie ticket or something in the second edition."

Just FYI, Region Free players can be had cheap (some cheaper than Region 1 only players) and importing discs isn't hard at all. It's just like ordering from Amazon or DeepDiscount or anywhere else. No hassle what-so-ever. PLUS, the pre-order price for X3 was $14.95 WITH free shipping. 2 discs with everything Region 1 has to offer and MORE for the same (and even cheaper) price? Come on!

Break the Region chains, man. Break 'em.
"He donates plasma to widescreen TVs."

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow