What's new

SCTV The Best Of The Early Years, Oct. 24th! (1 Viewer)

Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
The SCTV, The Best of the Early Years Collection is being released on October 24th. With the series only having two seasons of six released so far, and this being a "best of", SCTV really needs the support of fans more than ever.

Details at TV Shows on DVD.com
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6366

Some quick info:
SCTV: The Best of The Early Years DVD
Street Date: October 24, 2006
The next set will be a collection from Shout! Factory called SCTV: The Best of the Early Years. Programs include some of the very best, including, The Municipal Election, SCTV'S 30th Anniversary Special, On The Waterfront Again, Thursday Night Live, The Irwin Allen Show, My Factory, My Self, Death Motel, Play It Again, Bob, Gaslight, Hollywood Salutes Its Extras, 1984 - Big Brother, Two Way TV/Pit Bulls, Midnight Express Special and Dick Cavett. Bonus Features include: Commentaries by executive producer Andrew Alexander, Robin Duke and Joe Flaherty, Looking Back with Andrea Martin, The Mackenzie Brothers - Take Off and SCTV At The Firehall. Let's make sure this is not the last SCTV DVD by taking part in the Letter Campaign and letting the Copyright Holders know that allowing the use of their music on SCTV is beneficial for everyone! Also, it is now more important than ever to support SCTV on DVD, so make sure you get your copy on October 24th!

I am also the webmaster of the SCTV on DVD Campaign. Details here:
http://www.runstop.de/bennysplace/sctv/index.html

Shawn, webmaster
SCTV on DVD Campaign

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I've been waiting for this announcement! :cool:

That means I can buy this in late October to fill in that classic TV viewing gap between what I'm re-watching now ("The Greatest American Hero", followed by the last seasons of "The X-Files") and the November 15 DVD release of "Get Smart!"

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the "Ben-Hur" spoof (which was the first SCTV episode I ever saw!) is in this set?

Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
From the details at TV Shows on DVD.com it doesn't look like it. The set will contain some interesting bonuses with Commentaries featuring Joe Flaherty, Robin Duke and Andrew Alexander. There is also a feature called "Looking Back" with Andrea Martin as well as a feature on The McKenzie Brothers. Another feature called "At The Firehall" looks at the famous Home of the Second City Theatre.

Shawn

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Is it me or is this looping some skits that already appeared on the other sets???

Who do I have to have adult relations with at Shout Factory to get Sammy Maudlins Solid gold Telethon on DVD??

The Ben Hur schetch was on volume one of the Network 90 sets if my memory serves me right.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Who do I got to blow at Shout Factory to get Sammy Maudlins Solid gold Telethon on DVD?? [/QUOTE said:
Not that I am personally offended, but this is uncalled for in an open forum.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

No, but a version of that skit has already been released. It's on Volume 2, I believe (both "Ben-Hur" and "Lust For Paint" from Season 1 were repeated during that cycle, but without the Moe Green wraparounds). It's true that many of the Seasons 1-3 sketches have been released (some in edited form) because they were repeated on early 90-minute shows (mostly on Volume 1). I'm pretty sure any edits to that material reflect the way they were aired by NBC back in 1981.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Remember though, that even if some skits are already out in already existing DVD sets, these shows in this new set will have them in their original context, and in several cases, repeated skits on the 90-minute shows were edited. I really want to see this set do well so more volumes will follow.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

What do you mean? What's offensive about going to someone's hot, stuffy office and offering to hold a portable fan for them so they don't suffer heat exhaustion? :) Even if it is just to suck up to them to get them to release more SCTV.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"the early years" ?

not sure i get what that means.
are these the best of the net work 90 shows.

early years to me are the half hour eps that WERE the early eps.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

They mean the first three seasons. However, this set consists mostly of Season 3 episodes (1980-1981) which immediately preceded the Network 90 episodes (and ran simultaneously with them for a short while; in Chicago, NBC-Channel 5 had SCTV Network 90 on Friday nights and the syndicated half-hour "SCTV Television Network" on Saturday nights). There are a few Season 2 (1978-1979) episodes, but no Season 1 shows. (SCTV skipped a year in 1979-1980; in Chicago, Season 1 was repeated that year.)

This also means no Harold Ramis (although there will be references to the kidnapped Moe Greene; for some reason that seemed to be a running thread in Season 3) and very little of John Candy and Catherine O'Hara.

Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to remind everyone that we could make quite a difference if we write letters to Shout! Factory letting them know how much we would appreciate the series released in it's entirety.

Also, we could also have a positive impact by letting the copyright holders know that they can make a positive contribution to SCTV by allowing their music to be used for a more reasonable fee.

For more on this check out the SCTV on DVD Campaign.

http://www.runstop.de/bennysplace/sctv/index.html

Shawn

Mark Y

Screenwriter

I would guess not, or we would have seen something by now. I wonder if they might do downloads somewhere down the line... I thought the already-existing sets had been deleted. Some months back there were reports of people seeing them at Dollar General stores for $10 each, and as soon as I saw that info on line, I started checking them out and couldn't find them...then went to ebaY and saw them going for $20 each (at the time), with the curious exception of Volume 4, which seems to be the scarcest one (probably the worst-selling set of the bunch). Yet, in the last couple of weeks I have been seeing Vol. 4 (only) in brick and mortar stores again...at prices like $69.99 (at Best Buy) and $89.99 (at FYE). The FYE I went to also had a couple of single-disc releases ("Disc 1" and "Disc 2" from Volume 1). Seems like I went to Amazon recently and the SCTV DVDs already released do seem to still be available. (EDIT: Just checked and they are all available at Amazon...Volumes 1-2-3 have been reduced somewhat, with 3 being the cheapest...but Vol. 4 is still going for full list price.)

Some months back I did a copyright search for SCTV at the Library Of Congress site and I found some records saying that the copyrights had been "assigned" to Sony for a specific period of time -- this must have to do with licensing for the DVD releases. It covered Seasons 1-2-3 and all of the 90-minute shows, but not SCTV Channel. Of course, I can't find that info now. But I think it was still current when I did see it.

"The Best Of The Early Years" just leaves me wanting more. Especially from the first two seasons (and especially especially from Season 1, which wasn't represented at all). Overall a nice set to have, though...just woefully incomplete.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thanks Mark for the thorough post. That's interesting about the copyright. Gotta wonder if this show is destined for a more complete release in the future.

Someone on the "What was the last TV DVD you bought...?" thread stated they'd found some. I looked at both my DG stores yesterday and came up empty. But some looking and I discovered the online store Newbury Comics has them all for $14.99 right now. They list them as "marked as overstock". They also have "regular" versions at a price similar to everyone else (around $80).

My thought is everyone who wants these should buy them right now from whereever you can find them for cheap. I finished my set yesterday with Vol 4 from Newbury. Years ago I'd bought Vol 1 from DD for $35. Last week I picked up Vol 2 and 3 from amazon marketplace (where they were listed by Newbury for $10 & $17, respectively).

I've yet to buy The Early Years but I'm really looking forward to it...and I know I'll have the same reaction...MORE! I still need it and the DVD version of Strange Brew.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i finally picked this up from DD.
what brilliance this is.
it really does feel like a bunch of guys got together and made their own show.

i want more.
and more then anything i want that second to last ep that was the dubbing of The Cisco Kid.
that show was the single most funniest thing i have ever seen.

btw what seaso was it when they intro'd the cast and then added at the end "and dave thomas as the beaver"?

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
That was probably a first season opening. I wish they would release one first season episode, so I can see what the original opening looked like. I'm glad I taped the 1-3 season shows off Trio when they ran them uncut. By the way, I loaned my brother my copy of the SCTV cast on the Tomorrow show so he could put it on Youtube. Just search "SCTV Tomorrow show" on Youtube if you want to watch it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Aw, Cool. I'll be checking that out. I enjoyed the SNL cast on Tomorrow. It was like they were all fresh and new. Strange experience actually. The SCTV cast in that reunion show with Conan were unbelievable.

I'm about to start Vol 3 finally. I usually watch one per week on Friday nights. I really enjoyed Vol 2. But it looks as if Vol 3 will up the ante a bit judging by the pcitures on the box.

I finally picked up Strange Brew (arrived scratched, grrrr, but it seemed fine otherwise). Haven't gotten the early years set yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks