Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SPHE Press Release: The Premiere Frank Capra Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 of 26 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,740 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 04 2006 - 03:59 AM

Or Sony's first, since they still have other Capra films they could release in a future box set (The Bitter Tea of General Yen, Lost Horizon, Platinum Blonde, The Miracle Woman, The Matinee Idol, etc.)

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#22 of 26 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 04:14 AM

I might have a preference for a particular commentator, and I might not listen to a commentary by some people, but that has nothing to do with whether I buy this. If the films are significantly upgraded picture wise, I'm buying, even if the only commentary is by Alvin & the Chipmunks. And without picture improvement, I wouldn't buy this if Frank Capra, Sr. recorded the commentary from beyond the grave.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#23 of 26 OFFLINE   Jefty

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 04:52 AM

ultmately, I agree with you George... As a scholar interested in Capra, I'll have to have this set, and I'm sure these DVDs will be improvements upon my VHS copies of the films...but still, I do think it's nice when the home entertainment people go the extra mile and provide stimulating (rather than platitudinous!) accompaniment to the films...

#24 of 26 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,013 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 04 2006 - 04:54 AM

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#25 of 26 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted November 05 2006 - 08:43 AM

That's funny Mike! Posted Image Actually, if properly done, perhaps and Alvin & the Chipmunks commentary could be great, especially if co-written by a very knowledgable film historian and a very funny comic.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#26 of 26 OFFLINE   Rick Z.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted November 19 2006 - 12:54 AM

Can't wait for reviews on the set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users