What's new

LaserDisc player recommendation? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Klein

Agent
Hi all:

I'm going to shop for a laserdisc player on eBay, and I'd like to get some suggestions on desirable models based on the following criteria:

Must:

- Be manufactured by Pioneer

- Pass the native composite video signal from the laserdisc to the composite output (i.e. the composite output must not be a recombination of the S-video signal as in a number of later players, no matter how well it's done)

- Have at least a coaxial digital audio output (Toslink also would be okay but not essential)

- Play 8" LDs AND 5" CD-V discs

Not necessary:

- S-video output

- Double-sided playback

- Dolby Digital / AC-3 audio

I'm open to U.S. and Japanese market as well as industrial model players (although I'm guessing the digial audio output requirement will eliminate the industrial line), and probably (but not necessarily) the player with the most recent design that meets the above requirements. Any feedback would be most appreciated, including thoughts on hands-on experience with the model, overall quality, etc. Thanks in advance!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I still don't know if the CLD-D704 uses "pure" or "recombined" video. If the former, then that's easily your best bet, in terms of price, availability, and so on. It has at least one rebadge, the Mitsubishi M-V7057 ; I have one of each, and am very pleased with them. You might look out for an LD-S2 (or its equivalent, Japanese LD-X1), which is supposed to be a great "sleeper" — apparently it uses 9-bit quantization for composite video. I saw one of these in a shop, used, not too long back. Obviously, a MUSE HiVision player such as the HLD-X0 or HLD-X9 is a solid bet, if expensive, due to the wide-band low-noise analog frontend. Some of the older Pioneers have optical digital but not coaxial ; I personally prefer models new enough to have AC-3 RF, for greater availability of parts, and these tend to have good signal-to-noise ratios. There's at least one person in the world who swears by the CLD-S201 el-cheapo player for its straight-through video path, pairing it with a processing amplifier to clean up the sync (often messed up on LDs ; better players use reinserted sync and burst generated onboard, although the D704's, at least, isn't particularly pretty on the 'scope — ringing and over/undershoot).

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I have one for sale, but I'm not sure if it uses recombination or not!
Check out my FS thread and let me know if you're interested.
Thanks.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

I could be wrong but I believe the 703 is virtually identical to the 704 with the exception of the AC-3 output which was indicated as not being required. I currently have a 704 as a spare player in the basement I almost never use. I have an Elite CLD-79 in the main system. I don't have tons of LDs so I found it hard justifying going to something of higher price. I would guess if someone had more LDs they might spring for more.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Yeah, the difference between the 703 and 704 is basically one rear-panel connector and the audio board. The CLD-D702, however, may be something to look at : I think it may use non-recomposited video, because it has one processing function (called, I kid you not, "SOFT PICTURE"), which only operates on the S-Video output.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure the 703/704 recombine the composite signal. Personally I don't think it's that big of a deal. High end players such as the hld-X9 and hld-X0 have "pure" composite outputs. Probably many older players do as well. The question is thus, what's better, an older player with pure composite output or a newer player, such as the 704, that recombines it?

wklee

Auditioning
Real Name
wilbur
I just registered. Have you looked at the Luxman D408 or the Pioneer CLD 2090 Laser Disc Players. I have both in near mint condition. PleaSE RESEARCH THE UNITS and if you are interested - contact me. wilbur

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You've just eliminated all the best players.

I think a CLD-D5xx or CLD-6xx series player will meet your requirements. But a 703 or 704 will look a hell of a lot better.

greg_t

Screenwriter

Exactly. An older player, while it may have a "pure" composite output, usually won't look any where near as good as a newer player that does recombine. Unless you want to go with an X9 or X0.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks