Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What do you all think of these Swans 6.1?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Bullet Head

Bullet Head

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted September 22 2006 - 01:41 AM

I found these for sale online. The guy wants $500 for them, there arent a lot of people on here using these, so I was hoping to receive some feedback as to how they sound and what the general opinion is. Can I buy better speakers for $500 than these? I will be using a Pioneer VSX1016 receiver with them.
Posted Image

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Bullet Head

Bullet Head

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted September 22 2006 - 01:42 AM

I dont know why the picture isnt showing, but here is the link.

edit: fixed the link

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   DaveHo

DaveHo

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted September 22 2006 - 02:23 AM

For some reason, Swans don't get much attention here. AVSForum seems to have more Swan owners. That said I have no personal experience with them, but am under the impression they are well liked in general & offer a good bang for the buck. Original retail on those was, I believe $700 ish. I wouldn't call $500 a smoking deal, but it is fair if they are in excellent condition.

-Dave

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Bullet Head

Bullet Head

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted September 22 2006 - 04:07 AM

The guy says they were $2500 retail.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted September 22 2006 - 05:16 AM

Check Swan's site linked from this forum and I think you'll find the 6.1's brand new for $350 each.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   DaveHo

DaveHo

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted September 22 2006 - 06:08 AM

This might be a newer version, but I believe this is it, no?

http://www.newegg.co....82E16836136113

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael Saint

Michael Saint

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted September 22 2006 - 03:32 PM

Newegg sells the 6.1 Swans in rosewood for $499 each. The $359 price is for the 6.1 in black cherry veneer.

I don't know what the going price was when they first came out and av123 was selling them.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Patrick D

Patrick D

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 11:53 AM

I bought a pair when they first came out. They were $999 on sale for a pair, I think the regular price was something like $1200/pr.

They just didn't do it for me at that price. For $500 a pair, they're not bad unless you start to drift into DIY. The low end is nice, the mids were not razor-sharp thanks to the kevlar mid (I prefer metals myself). Bass/mid-bass was ok. If you like a more laid-back sound these will do it for you. Keep in mind these things are fairly large and heavy also. I would simply prefer more of the design budget from these to have gone into the drivers, and have gotten a flat black square box that sounded better.

Having used a Pioneer 1014, I'm not sure it would really bring out the best in these big towers. They really want a nice beefy pro amp. Posted Image The latest 'cool thing' from the China-sourced manufacturers seems to be the X-CS speakers from av123, paired with an X-sub for the low-end. That'd be around $340 each also, and would probably have better low-end and midrange clarity, but I haven't heard them (I have some on order).

If I was you, I'd be torn. On the one hand, $500 for the pair is a nice price for some powerful party speakers. However you really want to push them with more than the receiver. By the time you get better amplification, you could have gotten the X-Series stuff where the subs are powered anyway, and they're brand new. If you already have a sub, then you could probably do better than these, since most of the driverage here is oriented towards thumping, plus you're paying extra for pretty veneer and gold trim.

No matter what, any of it sure does beat the usual junk in the retail stores.