-

Photo
- - - - -

Tokyo Drift COMBO disc is HD DVD 30/DVD 9 (in other words, dual-layer)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Efrain Lopez

Efrain Lopez

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 07:48 PM

Although it's been known for months that 30/9 COMBO's were going to be possible, I think some people may have not gotten the message or didn't care to spread the word (It was known since about 2 months ago).

http://videobusiness.../CA6372284.html

Quote:
Universal’s upcoming Tokyo Drift release will be the first to feature dual-layer 30GB on one-side and a DVD-9 standard version of the film on the flip side. HD DVD bonus features include a scene in which users can pick out their own car and access a GPS satellite map of Tokyo while the movie runs and a running calculator from Progressive Insurance shows the dollar amount for each collision.

USHE president Craig Kornblau called the dual-layer hybrid an industry first and said it could allow the studio to reach consumers who aren’t yet in HD DVD but plan to enter in the coming months.

“We are very, very excited and pleased about HD DVD,” Kornblau said.

Anyway, first dual-layer COMBO should be out in a few days (some people have spotted this title at Best Buy already).

The price is MSRP $40, same as Fox Blu-ray catalog releases, and only $5 than Warner New releases (so in other words, you're not paying more than at most $5 for the disc).

If you are wondering why on average COMBO's cost $7 more than regular HD DVD's, it's because regular HD DVD's are older titles so they price them lower anyway. Lion's Gate and Sony charge $40 for their new releases on Blu-ray, not because they are COMBO (no Blu-ray hybrid discs), but because they are new releases. If you want some decently priced COMBO discs, look at Universal's catalog releases, which can be found for about $24 online, just a couple of dollars more than regular catalog HD DVD releases.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 08:38 PM

Excellent news. If the forthcoming Superman Returns utilizes this combo format, I'll start buying into HD DVD with that release.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted September 22 2006 - 01:15 AM

This should have been the way the studios should have released their HD-DVDs. I will buy combo discs easily that way when I get my player (by the mid of October), I've got the software.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Matt Hetzler

Matt Hetzler

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted September 22 2006 - 07:39 AM

I picked this up yesterday at a certain retailer and I can verify that it is a 30/9 combo release.

I also got The Dirty Dozen, which includes the 1985 sequel as a bonus feature, but not in HD.