-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Superman Returns, Superman & II on HD DVD & BRD on 11-28-06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#1 of 104 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,325 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 21 2006 - 09:43 AM

I'll probably buy the BRD.

On Nov. 28, the studio will release its $197 million-grossing Superman Returns as an HD DVD Combo disc (which has HD DVD on one side of the disc and standard-def on the other) priced at $39.99 and on Blu-ray Disc with a list price of $34.99.

http://www.videobusi.../CA6374288.html

Maybe not, considering the latest release information.

Warner Home Video have announced the HD DVD release of Superman: The Movie and Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut for 28th November 2006. The original movie and the new Richard Donner cut of the second will arrive on HD DVD alongside the standard definition offerings in November.

http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=62863

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 104 MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I'll probably buy the BRD.

On Nov. 28, the studio will release its $197 million-grossing Superman Returns as an HD DVD Combo disc (which has HD DVD on one side of the disc and standard-def on the other) priced at $39.99 and on Blu-ray Disc with a list price of $34.99.

http://www.videobusi.../CA6374288.html

ohh HD-DVD combo disc for such movie ??? one HD layer will not be enough hmm, same here Blu-ray disk for me....

Marek

#3 of 104 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,701 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 11:21 AM

I thought the newer combo discs used dual-layer 30-gig for the HD-DVD side?

Vincent

#4 of 104 Dennis Maricic

Dennis Maricic

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 11:25 AM

I think Vincent may be right on this. It must be the new 30 gig combo. Can't she this working on a 15 gig layer.

Oh forgot, HD DVD for me. Posted Image

#5 of 104 MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_P
I thought the newer combo discs used dual-layer 30-gig for the HD-DVD side?

Vincent

is it confirmed that it is production ready ? I mean dual layer for HD-DVD side and single layer for SD ?

but hmm, single layer DVD5 for Superman Returns SD ?? the quality will be horrbile for such long movie to fit on DVD5

#6 of 104 Ken Groulx

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 11:53 AM

This combo disc strategy is utterly pointless for a title that is released in conjunction with the standard DVD. I was under the impression this would be a flagship title for HD-DVD. If it really is merely a single layer disc, that would be a shame for such a great looking and sounding movie. I'm hopeful it will at least utilize the 30-gig dual-layer combo format, otherwise I'll be passing on it.

#7 of 104 MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 12:04 PM

this is going to be very interesting

BD-50 for SUPERMAN, and HD-DVDcombo ?

so it will be 50 against 15GB or against 30GB ?

from
http://www.thedigita...com/#mytwocents
========================================
Blu-ray Disc - SRP $34.99 - BD-50, 1080p video (2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen), Dolby Digital 5.1 audio (English, French, Latin Spanish), special features TBA (presumably all DVD features will be included), subtitles: English SDH, English, Francais and Espanol, Closed Captioned
========================================

#8 of 104 LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 12:33 PM

What a crock! Until either HD-DVD or BD is confirmed as having dual HD layer, I think I'll just buy a loss-leader single-disk SD.

Update: OK. The Bits has confirmed both HD versions are double-layered. Although I have developed a slight bias for HD-DVD, I don't see any reason to pay extra for the superfluous SD version, so I guess it's BD for me (if Samsung gets the sharpness update to me by then.)

#9 of 104 Xavier Roy-Bois

Xavier Roy-Bois

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 12:36 PM

What " s wrong with Warner ? NO DOLBY-TRUE HD support with this title !

That "s totally inacceptable ! HD DVD needs the inclusion of DOLBY TRUE-HD on every MAJOR TITLE to survive !

With no TRUE-HD support from the latest titles except Batmin Begins for me it's mean SSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKK KKKEEEEEEEEE 2 !
Can"t wait to hear DD+ and DTHD at their full resolution !

Bring us HDMI 1.3 equipped receivers fast !!!

#10 of 104 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 12:56 PM

Hopefully it's not single layer only, otherwise I'll just be waiting for a proper release or (once I can afford a player, and that could be a while...as in like a year plus) the Blu-Ray release.

#11 of 104 Bob Black

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 01:00 PM

Knowing Warner, it will probably be the exact same encoding for both versions, provided it really is a BD50 and not a 25. It's probably the same reason why there's no TruHD audio on this release.

BTW, the HD-DVD version for me (and every release as well, since I won't be buying into BD).

#12 of 104 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,035 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 21 2006 - 01:24 PM

i dont have BR player yet and may not by christmas, but 'll likely get the BR version and not the hd dvd because of the combo thing. hate that idea.

plus it looks more, right in the blue case.
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 104 Edwin_H

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 01:26 PM

Wow Warner really is retarded. Combo discs are completely pointless. This is one of their titles that deserves all the bells and whistles. Instead they're &*#*ing it up by making it a dumbass combo disc. Way to go guys!

#14 of 104 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,853 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 02:10 PM

I'm doing the happy dance right now, I don't care if it's a combo or not. I doubt it will be single layer. WB hasn't disappointed me yet with a single High def release on either format, I don't think they'll do so here.

#15 of 104 Ryan Wong

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 02:13 PM

Okay, I can foresee a headline like this: Superman failed to fly in box office... and HD-DVD combo.

This movie deserves a Dolby TrueHD track. I can see why Warner more in favor of Batman than Superman. Posted Image
Ryan Wong

#16 of 104 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the update.
I'll wait for The Box!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#17 of 104 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM
is it confirmed that it is production ready ? I mean dual layer for HD-DVD side and single layer for SD ?

The director of Superman, Byran Singer, has been touting the HD-DVD release. Granted that this interview is pre-theatrical release, it is still interesting. With the special features that have been 'announced' with this release, it will probably be a 30GB/9GB combo disc like "Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift due for release 9/29.

Quote:
Bryan Singer, director of the new movie Superman Returns did an interview with The Hollywood Reporter recently and talked a lot about the special effects technology that went into the movie, plus the inclusion of blogging for fans during the moviemaking process. Despite the fact that the movie hasn't even been released in theaters yet, he's already giving details on the DVD versions. He mentions specifically Warner's In Movie Experience (IME) technology, using the interactive technology of HD DVD (and potentially Blu-ray also) to show behind the scenes looks as well as cast interviews while the movie continues playing. He sounds pretty excited, and the feeling is catching.

http://www.hdbeat.co....hd-dvd-extras/

Thomas Eisenmann
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#18 of 104 Jesper

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted September 21 2006 - 05:03 PM

Since no reason for Blu Ray - HD DVD for me..
Jesper Nielsen

#19 of 104 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 05:49 PM

While I'm excited to get SR on HD-DVD, I'm a tad disappointed that none of the other Superman films appear to be headed to the format on the 28th too. I never expected the box set to appear on HD-DVD, but I at least expected the first Superman film to come out alongside Superman Returns. I'll still be picking up SR on HD, along with Superman: TM and the Donner Cut on SD I guess. I really want the set though.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#20 of 104 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,652 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 06:03 PM

I'm ALL over the HD-DVD version. My most anticipated HD-DVD film this year.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow