Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

On The Buses Ultimate Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Mark Lx

Mark Lx

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 11:38 AM

Well I received this yesterday, 74 episodes (7 series) on 11 disks. This is an R1 release. This is the first British show I ever remember seeing (not Monty Python), followed by The Two Ronnies.

The first 2 series (13 episodes from 1969) are in black and white and I wonder if these have ever been shown in North America. I don't remember any B&W episodes but that doesn't prove anything. I watched the first 3 last night and didn't recall them (though the theme of one episode was worked into the first movie). A different actress plays mum and Blakey hasn't development his animated temper and laugh. He's just a miserable old inspector (Lewis was actually only 33 I've been told) without the humour. It still works well.

The part 1 and 2 breaks are there, as are the London Weekend openings (which change through the years). I don't recall these ever not being on television though. The opening animation changes through the series, with series 1 having an outdoor film opening. They give you the entire theme song on the menus, which I hadn't heard before. The episodes are about 25 minutes (flow nicely with no noticable cutting) and there are 6 or 7 episodes per one-sided disk (with one having 8 episodes). There are 7 slim snapper cases. Quite compact.

A few of the newer series episodes are black and white as well. I guess no colour copies exist, as is common with some British shows (like Doctor Who) of this time. This surprises me, as On The Buses must have been running in North America by 1975 and was run every year or so on one of my stations (Seattle,Bellingham,Vancouver) until about 1984.

I can't really complain about anything. The picture is pretty good. The outdoor film looks a bit rough, but always did.

#2 of 9 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,570 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 07:34 AM

Oh, man - this is on DVD? Killer! I remember watching the show on KVOS on Saturday nights during the run up to Doctor Who. They had this great Brit line up they rotated through: Dave Allen at Large, Doctor in the House/At Sea, Benny Hill and On the Buses, and then 2 or so hours of Who to cap off the night. It was a great way to spend a saturday night during my youth.

How much is the set?

***EDIT***
More importantly, how does the show stand up to the test of time? I thought Benny Hill was just the funniest thing ever when I was a youngin', but he barely cracks a smile for me now. I loved OtB as a kid, but I dont want to have my memories tainted by the fact that the show really sucked, and I was just too young to notice.

#3 of 9 Mark Lx

Mark Lx

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 08:22 AM

I find it very funny. It's not a kids show so you might have missed a lot when you were young. I paid $70 Canadian (it's 11 disks), but that was pre-release sale. The set is pictured on the amazon sites. I think the first season is great. Arthur is more of a man and a better antagonist for Stan.

Yes, Dave Allen was good. There's only a "best of" release in R2. Same with The Two Ronnies.

#4 of 9 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 02:39 AM

This is the show that inspired the 1973-74 NBC series Lotsa Luck starring Dom DeLuise, which is now on DVD via S'More Entertaiment. So the original is available, too? About the later B/W shows: let me guess- they're from 1971, right? There was a technicians' strike that affected both LWT and Thames Television, so most of the shows from that time period had to have shows filmed/taped in B/W as the strike went on. Among the shows affected: Upstairs, Downstairs, Budgie, The Benny Hill Show, and Bless This House. Of course, as soon as the strike ended, all the affected shows went back to color production. To insure its chances of being picked up by America, the producers of Upstairs, Downstairs actually reshot its first episode (which was in B/W due to the strike) in color. As we all know, the gamble paid off....
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#5 of 9 Alan-A

Alan-A

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 04:37 AM

I can't seem to find this listed anywhere, at least in R1. What company released this and where is it available?

#6 of 9 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,570 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 07:53 PM

The only ones I've found are the R2 versions ( and those are season by season - not whole sets) and something at Amazon that's unaviliable.

#7 of 9 Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan-A
I can't seem to find this listed anywhere, at least in R1. What company released this and where is it available?

I found it here http://www.amazon.ca....865138?ie=UTF8

I guess it is an Canadian only release since I did not find it on the American Amazon site

#8 of 9 Mark Lx

Mark Lx

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted September 24 2006 - 03:47 PM

It's put out by VEI (who apparently put out a show called Hardcastle and McCormick). I didn't realize it was Canada only. Seems odd they go to the trouble to restore episodes from the cut R2 releases just to release it in a limited area. Definitely R1 though, as the player I've been watching it on is only R1.

#9 of 9 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 03:26 AM

Have done a HTF thread search for the UK comedy sitcom On the Buses in this HTF forum folder, and there was only this thread. Thought it best to post in here, rather than start a separate thread, even though I would post about another British comedy series Bless This House.

Have seen some episodes of On the Buses, but prefer the ones when Stan and Arthur were in the show, compared to when Blakey was living with Stan's mother and sister Olive.

Was going to get the Network release of the feature film version of Bless This House (1972), but it's presented in a fullscreen aspect ratio.

Optimum releases a DVD set of the three big screen On the Buses films, but the first film (also called On the Buses) is presented in a fullscreen aspect ratio.

Network last September released a Complete Omnibus Edition boxset of On the Buses, including the three big screen films and the spin-off series with Blakey called Don't Drink the Water.