What's new

Question about DVD player??? (1 Viewer)

Batmanfan66

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny
I was wanting to buy the new "Prisoner Cell Block-H when it comes out... Here is my question, I have a Philips Divix player and I am told that it will play these disc from Australia? Can anybody help me? Don't know how long it will be until this series is sold here in the USA.

Thanks
Dan Hurd~

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hello, Danny,

This one might belong in another forum at HTF, mainly the Home Theater Equipment section. An Admin will let us know on this thread but you may have more success at the HTF "Audio/Video Sources" Forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable posters here at HTF in all forums and I have picked up some cool info and help here. You're welcome to contact me with the Private Message utiliy if you wish. I have a little info on your thread topic.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Danny:
Most (though not all) Philips DVD players can be hacked to be made region-free and enable conversion of the PAL image to an NTSC one (which is just as important). Usually, it's a very simple remote control hack (punch a certain sequence of numbers on your remote to "unlock" the player).

However, I have no idea about DIVX players. As long as your DIVX player will play actual DVD discs, I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

You are "told" it will play them? You might want to try VideoHelp.com and check their hack list to make SURE your player has an available hack. Just look your player's model number up on the list.

Probably never. Prisoner (the Cell Block H was added to the syndicated version to avoid confusion with ITC's The Prisoner) was only syndicated in the US for a brief time in the late 1970s, from what I remember, so it won't be as well-remembered as other foreign shows like Doctor Who, which were distributed here for a far longer time.

I think Prisoner had more success in the UK, where it at least got repeated on satellite channels in the '90s, but even in Britain, the only DVDs they have are the compilation ones (same as the 25th Anniversary set in the US).

Your only option for complete episodes would be, I should think, to go ahead and buy the R4s.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Danny I don't know anything about Divix, but I buy region four DVDs regularly and they look unbelievably good on my Oppo 971, which is virtually region free out of the box (a 2 second hack available anywhere online). I highly reccomend this player.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I have a Pioneer DV-578 player. Region-Free, 16 Mb PAL/NTSC Converter. Flawless PAL-R2 playback. Haven't tried R4 yet but will soon.

Anyone out there had any problems with RCE-encoded DVD's on their Region-Free players?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks