What's new

Wiring additional rooms for sound (1 Viewer)

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if I'm posting in the proper area. If not, feel free to move it where it belongs!

Here's what I'm wanting to do. I've got a home theater area already wired and functional located in one half of my basement. Receiver is Sony STR-DE885. The other half of my basement is pre-wired for speakers, I just need a little help getting them functioning properly.

Here's a rendering of my basement, with new speaker locations marked:

Four speakers total. Not concerned with fronts/rears, just want two wired up as LEFT and two as RIGHT as I'll only be pumping music into that room.

I also purchased a multi-room speaker selector:

Would like to have the four speakers in the room hooked up together as "one room selection". Taking ohms and impedance into account, and assuming 8ohm speakers will be used, what would be the best way to wire up these speakers? Series or parallel? Not quite sure what I'm doing here, and don't want to fry my receiver.

Also, where on my receiver do I connect the multi-room selector? The "B" set of posts? Then just switch to A/B on the receiver when I want to manually select other rooms? Sorry for all the questions, just kind of new at doing multi-room off one receiver.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No reason why you can’t wire up the four pool table room speakers with the multiswitch. It can be connected to your receiver’s “B” terminals.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If I'm reading the specs correctly on your amp STR-DE885, it doesn't have a speaker B, so you will have to bring your Front Left and Right into your speaker selector. Then Output 1 or A to your surround room front speakers. Then 2 and 3 or B and C for the other two pair of speakers that are located in the other room. You will have to change the surround to stereo for full Left/right when using the other room and change back to surround when just using the home theater room.

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
No, I've definitely got B speaker-set. A/B button is right on the front of the receiver. What I don't have is a "2nd Room" output. I think that was exclusive to the STR-DE985 (a step up from my receiver).

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Ok then just hook the b speakers to the input on your switch and you will use the a and b out of the speaker switch to the other 2 pair in the other room. you won't use the output from c and d. Still when running the other room change your surround to "stereo" so you get all information to the left and right channels and switch back to surround when just using the surround rooom. It would be nice to have a 2 zone receiver instead of the one that you currently have, then you could listen to something different than the other room, ie you could be watching a DVD movie in the surround room and listen to Cable/Sat music in the other room, but that would require a different amp.

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I've got everything wired up and working. Thanks for all the info!

Just one question. Why is the volume in my second room so much lower than in my main room? When watching tv, my volume is normally set anywhere from 30-40. When I switch over to my second room, I've got to crank it up over 50 to hear it well. Any ideas why the difference in volume?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Some speakers aren’t as efficient as others. IOW, they require more power (watts) to play at the same volume as more efficient speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
I wired them in series, 2 for the left channel, and 2 for the right channel. They are 8ohm speakers. My receiver can handle a min. load of 8ohms, so I had to go series instead of parallel. Or do you think I could get away with parallel wiring? It's my understanding that most receivers can handle a 4ohm load as long as you aren't cranking the volume for hours on end.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If you have the speaker selector why did you wire them in Series? Are you not using your speaker selector?

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I'm using the selector. It is a four-room selector, with two speakers per room. I've wired my speakers in series because I wanted to connect four speakers up to one room selection. I could have wired two speakers to one room selection, and the other two to another room selection, but I've got three other rooms in the house that I want to wire up to the selector.

Was going over this with a friend and drew up a diagram of how I've got everything now:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The series wiring is probably what’s doing it. Those speaker selectors are loaded up with resistors to compensate for the additional load as it is. I can’t imagine wiring up in series on top of that doing anything good.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m sure it is – that’s what they do, after all. :D I think the mystery factor is the volume control. Is it possible to use one that can control four speakers at once?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
So you're saying I can go with parallel wiring and not worry about overloading my amp?

Also, I am controlling four speakers with the one volume control, but the control is really only built for controlling two speakers (left and right).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I honestly don’t know. I can’t say that I’ve ever seen anyone try to double up two sets of speakers on a single set of terminals of a speaker selector.

There might be an easy to figure it out. You can try hooking them up parallel and taking an ohm reading at the selector switch’s inputs. If the reading is within the tolerances of your receiver, you’re in good shape.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Is the Volume Control also Labeled as Impedance Matching? If you are using the Selector then a Non-Impedance Volume control should be used. You will get a lower volume if it's wired the way you have it in you Series picture. You have 16 ohms resistance instead of 8. Expect less Volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks