Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Quincy, M.E.", Season 3 where are you?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#141 of 205 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 06:14 AM

Again, the running times are shorter because of the slight speed difference, rather than any edits. Unfortunately, season 4 (and soon, season 5) of Quincy are not yet available anywhere in Region 1, so PAL is the only option for unedited episodes at this time.

#142 of 205 lj01

lj01

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted January 10 2012 - 06:31 AM

Yes, I would have to agree that the prints look fantastic and the speed-up thing is not a bother even in the slightest. Madman's service was top-notch as well, I pre-ordered these and had them in my hands (in the US) on November 16th, same day as they were released.

#143 of 205 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted January 11 2012 - 12:47 AM

The running times should be accurate and not based on those from Universal otherwise it's misleading to buyers. Shorter run times show whether they're edited or not and that would be information a buyer would want to know. Are these only in PAL or are they also available for NTSC? If PAL, there's no reason for me to bother with them since I don't have a dual region DVD player.

PAL/NTSC and DVD regions aren't the same thing, though. If the boxset is region-free (as foreign DVD releases sometimes are), your only concern would be whether your player is capable of converting the PAL signal to NTSC (which many DVD players--though not all--can do, often 'behind the scenes') or not, or if it can output a pure PAL signal if your display can handle it. It is a compatibility issue, but one totally separate from region compatibility.

#144 of 205 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 04:23 AM

Definitely a worthwhile distinction, but the Madman releases are not region-free either.

#145 of 205 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted January 11 2012 - 05:02 AM

Definitely a worthwhile distinction, but the Madman releases are not region-free either.

Ah! Part of the reason I even bothered to make the distinction is that, quite often it seems, several Australian released are encoded region-free, particularly if it's a title they expect to do a fair amount of export-related sales on (Darkroom, for instance).

#146 of 205 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 05:13 AM

If that is the case, then I may have been hasty. My copy of Darkroom is labeled Region 4. If it is, in fact, secretly encoded region-free, then maybe the Quincy set is the same. Neither will play on my Region 1 DVD players, but if you are correct about Darkroom, then it may just be the PAL thing.

#147 of 205 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 06:09 AM

If that is the case, then I may have been hasty. My copy of Darkroom is labeled Region 4. If it is, in fact, secretly encoded region-free, then maybe the Quincy set is the same. Neither will play on my Region 1 DVD players, but if you are correct about Darkroom, then it may just be the PAL thing.

If it is a region issue, the player will typically display something of that nature in it's display at the player itself. However, if it is a NTSC/PAL compatibility issue at your display, the player will not know that and it should show a normal display for playback.

#148 of 205 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted January 11 2012 - 06:36 AM

if it's a region issue, you should get a "wrong region" message (or something similar) on your television (and perhaps on the front panel of the player, too). Although several players will convert PAL to NTSC on the fly, there are some name brands (Panasonic and Sony are perhaps the most notorious) whose US players are intentionally engineered to be NTSC-only by the manufacturer. No idea if you'd get any kind of error message in those cases. There are many cases (particularly in Australia) where the package may display "Region 4", while the discs themselves are actually encoded for all regions. The Umbrella releases of ITV sitcoms (Man About the House, George & MIldred, etc.) were one such example. I know there is computer freeware out there for PC or Mac that you can download and use to tell what region(s) a particular disc is encoded for (assuming your computer has a DVD drive).

#149 of 205 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 07:24 AM

My old Denon displays a message on screen, as well as the player's display when attempting to play an invalid region. I mentioned the player display in this case because the person wasn't sure if it was a display compatiility or region code issue. So this approach might narrow it down for them. Also, even when it comes to players doing on the fly conversion, it may not be capable for all inputs connections. For example, i have a Marantz that can perform NTSC and PAL conversions on component but not on HDMI. That makes me think the capability happened to be available within a chipset along the analog path but not within the digital path.

#150 of 205 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 08:33 AM

Both my Samsung and Sony players show a compatibility error message with Darkroom.

#151 of 205 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,074 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by FanCollector 

Same here. My copy of Darkroom is labelled as Region 4, but (as discussed earlier on in this thread) will not play on a Region 2 player (only a multi-region player). Did get a "wrong region" onscreen message with Darkroom on a Region 2 player. Yet the two Blackjack (Austrailian detective series) DVD volume sets, which are also Region 4, will play on a Region 2 player.

#152 of 205 westumulka

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted January 11 2012 - 02:52 PM

Same here. My copy of Darkroom is labelled as Region 4, but (as discussed earlier on in this thread) will not play on a Region 2 player (only a multi-region player). Did get a "wrong region" onscreen message with Darkroom on a Region 2 player. Yet the two Blackjack (Austrailian detective series) DVD volume sets, which are also Region 4, will play on a Region 2 player.

I believe that any shows that are from Universal and licenced to Madman have to be set for region 4.

#153 of 205 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,074 posts

Posted May 31 2012 - 10:14 AM

Decided to get Madman's Region 4 release of the third season of Quincy, M.E. Might get the fourth season, depending on what the set is like.

#154 of 205 QuincyExaminer

QuincyExaminer

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 31 2012 - 03:42 PM

For all of you quincy fans, please be aware that the Quincy Examiner is working to keep you up to date as an online fan of the Quincy M.E. series. For more visit, the following link: The Quincy Examiner http://www.quincyexaminer.com

#155 of 205 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,897 posts

Posted June 01 2012 - 08:24 AM

I really want just one more season in R1 so I can see Jessica Walter's great dual role as a female newscaster who gets murdered by her twin sister who then assumes her identity.

#156 of 205 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,074 posts

Posted June 01 2012 - 11:19 AM

Is the post before last a spam post?

#157 of 205 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted June 02 2012 - 02:24 PM

I also would like it if they got a move on with season 3 of quincy

#158 of 205 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted June 03 2012 - 01:26 AM

I also would like it if they got a move on with season 3 of quincy

This thread has talked about both region 1 and region 4 releases, but i'm confused by your post, since Season 3 has been released for years: http://www.amazon.co...89&sr=8-1-spell

#159 of 205 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,074 posts

Posted June 03 2012 - 05:01 AM

Yes, the Universal (Region 1) releases of Quincy, M.E. are as far as the third season, Universal Playback (Region 2) released just the first and second seasons boxset, and Region 4 in Austrailia is as far as the fifth season at the moment.

#160 of 205 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 720 posts

Posted June 03 2012 - 08:32 AM

Yes, the Universal (Region 1) releases of Quincy, M.E. are as far as the third season, Universal Playback (Region 2) released just the first and second seasons boxset, and Region 4 in Austrailia is as far as the fifth season at the moment.

oh yeah, north america is region 1, i typed 2 by mistake, so i fixed my post to avoid further confusion. Maybe Tim is in the UK, it's sort of a shame the forum software doesn't automatically show the poster's location.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users