What's new

"Quincy, M.E.", Season 3 where are you? (1 Viewer)

Videowack

Agent
Has anyone heard anything regarding the release (or why the delay) of "Quincy" season 3? It's been quite awhile since the 1st and 2nd seasons were released and Universal's been fairly quick with their other title releases.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Videowack said:
Has anyone heard anything regarding the release (or why the delay) of "Quincy" season 3? It's been quite awhile since the 1st and 2nd seasons were released and Universal's been fairly quick with their other title releases.
I don't think Universal has been quick at all when it comes to their classic TV shows from the 60s and 70s...Where's Dragnet 69-70, Adam 12 season 2, Leave it to Beaver season 3, Alfred Hitchcock Presents season 2, etc., etc.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I don't think we'll see it; something tells me it sold poorly....like most of their classic TV.
Gord

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Gord Lacey said:
I don't think we'll see it; something tells me it sold poorly....like most of their classic TV.
Oh crud! That is horrible, horrible news from Gord. I've got a sick feeling in my stomach after reading that. Universal has a couple of my favorites, especially "Leave it to Beaver", and the thought of them abandoning that series is honestly too much for me.
Gary "and I've always liked Quincy too, but at this point it was pretty obvious that Universal had more than likely abandoned the series" O.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe there's a reason their classic TV didn't sell...
Because it wouldn't play on most people's players.

Videowack

Agent
Carlos Garcia said:
I don't think Universal has been quick at all when it comes to their classic TV shows from the 60s and 70s...Where's Dragnet 69-70, Adam 12 season 2, Leave it to Beaver season 3, Alfred Hitchcock Presents season 2, etc., etc.
I meant series such as COLUMBO, MURDER, SHE WROTE, ROCKFORD FILES, etc. Those have been coming quickly, where QUINCY has not.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Every show Carlos mentioned *has* been released, just without any followups. BTW, since you've been here since 2004, I'm guessing we know you by another name?

Videowack

Agent
Greg_S_H said:
Every show Carlos mentioned *has* been released, just without any followups. BTW, since you've been here since 2004, I'm guessing we know you by another name?
Who are you speaking of?

Videowack

Agent
Gord Lacey said:
Gord
Hopefully that won't be the case. When I see the crap that is being put out on DVD today, it makes me wonder a great deal. Maybe I should stop wondering!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Videowack said:
Why? are THIER players allergic to Universal?
No, it's just that their DVD-18s were pressed badly and freeze up. Many people have had to replace their Universal TV sets multiple times or just give up. That's why I've been reluctant to buy many Universal shows on DVD, and might just get the region 2 versions instead if I want them badly enough. I would have gladly bought Murder She Wrote, Magnum P.I., Leave it to Beaver, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Rockford Files, and some other shows if I didn't have to worry about them not playing. And it must be the pressing plant, because none of the Warner DVD-18s have frozen up on me.
I wish Universal would let shows they own outright out to Anchor Bay or Shout! Factory, or anyone who will treat them better.
Plus, they remove the original Universal logos.

Videowack

Agent
MatthewA said:
No, it's just that their DVD-18s were pressed badly and freeze up. Many people have had to replace their Universal TV sets multiple times or just give up. That's why I've been reluctant to buy many Universal shows on DVD, and might just get the region 2 versions instead if I want them badly enough. I would have gladly bought Murder She Wrote, Magnum P.I., Leave it to Beaver, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Rockford Files, and some other shows if I didn't have to worry about them not playing. And it must be the pressing plant, because none of the Warner DVD-18s have frozen up on me.
I wish Universal would let shows they own outright out to Anchor Bay or Shout! Factory, or anyone who will treat them better.
Plus, they remove the original Universal logos.
I must say, I have never had a problem with any title put out by Universal. Sorry to hear that you have.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I know I stayed away from most of Universal's TV output because of the widespread reported problems. I just don't have time to check out 25-30 episodes immediately after purchase and then re-check them if an exchange is needed.
The other thing is that Uni shot themselves in the foot by releasing too many of these at once. Didn't Quincy get released on the same day as McCloud and MacMillan?
In my opinion, Uni needs to bear some of the responsibility for certain titles not selling well. To their credit though, they've apparently switched to single sided discs for current and future releases.
Classic TV can sell well if marketed correctly. CBS/Paramount has shown that to be the case. Unfortunately Uni's struggles have probably killed any chance of future seasons of the above mentioned shows and we'll probably never get DVDs of Ironside and other similar era/genre shows.
Steve

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Universal TV on DVD had been crap until very recent. DVD 18s crammed with to many episodes per disc. No extras and worst of all expensive for what you got. As much as $100 for classic Galactica, and Buck Rogers. Thankfully those were short series they did in one swoop. I did get those 2 shows, but not without problems. I passed on a number of the shows (Quincy, season 3 of Columbo, and Rockford) because of what i read.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Hmm, I guess all this means I really shouldn't be looking forward to Universal properties like "Run For Your Life," "Suspense Theater," "The Outsider," and such coming out anytime soon. Ah, well. Wasn't really expecting them anyway. But the whole tv-on-dvd trend has indeed become a bit disheartening in the past six months or so. Glad that Universal seems to have gotten its act together, although I don't really see them having much tv-fare on the horizon that interests me. Even poor Beaver Cleaver is being neglected, with no 3rd-season talk circulating yet. At least they'll get some of my dough next week via 'movie' sets, with their Karloff, Inner Sanctum, and Sci-Fi collections.

I avoided Universal sets myself for a while. After a nice run with no problems, I hit a major bump in the road, with three Universal sets in a row giving me headaches late last year. This past week I timidly took a chance, picking up the "Kolchak: Night Stalker" series, since nothing else out really grabbed me. It's a purchase I'd planned on last year when it came out, but I immediately dropped it, following that steady stream of bum Universal sets. Seems to be okay so far. But, I'm still terribly wary of "Columbo," "Rockford," and "Quincy," which really seemed to get a lot of customer flak.

Videowack

Agent
Bert Greene said:
Hmm, I guess all this means I really shouldn't be looking forward to Universal properties like "Run For Your Life," "Suspense Theater," "The Outsider," and such coming out anytime soon. Ah, well. Wasn't really expecting them anyway. But the whole tv-on-dvd trend has indeed become a bit disheartening in the past six months or so. Glad that Universal seems to have gotten its act together, although I don't really see them having much tv-fare on the horizon that interests me. Even poor Beaver Cleaver is being neglected, with no 3rd-season talk circulating yet. At least they'll get some of my dough next week via 'movie' sets, with their Karloff, Inner Sanctum, and Sci-Fi collections.
I avoided Universal sets myself for a while. After a nice run with no problems, I hit a major bump in the road, with three Universal sets in a row giving me headaches late last year. This past week I timidly took a chance, picking up the "Kolchak: Night Stalker" series, since nothing else out really grabbed me. It's a purchase I'd planned on last year when it came out, but I immediately dropped it, following that steady stream of bum Universal sets. Seems to be okay so far. But, I'm still terribly wary of "Columbo," "Rockford," and "Quincy," which really seemed to get a lot of customer flak.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I haven't had a single problem with ANY release from Universal. Maybe I have been lucky. I only wish I could know for a fact that no more "Quincy" seasons will be released, then I could go back to transferring my VHS tapes of the series from A & E over to DVD. I would hate to think that I may transfer 30 or 40 episodes and suddenly see here on this or any other site that "Quincy" season 3 is coming. It's quite a lengthy process (which I don't mind, having transferred so many tapes) but if I could avoid it, it would sure be nice!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My Kolchak had a little bit of freezing, but that stopped when I wiped it with a glasses cloth. No such luck with Adam-12 and Magnum S3. I have the contact information to send those back to Universal for replacements. Need to get to it.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Bert, Columbo is fine to get. Only season 3 was on DVD 18s. Everything else is single sided. And i guess selling well too!

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Would love to see Quincy Season 3, but like many fans here on this thread, I'm not going to hold my breath...I've only watched the first three or four eps of the first season of Quincy, and what I saw thus far was fine, no freezes or breakups. So, my fingers are crossed. I have had bad luck with other Universal sets such as ``A-Team'' second season, which prompted me to ask for an exchange for the second disc in the set. Darn Universal! Part of such a huge company, and they have to cut corners and be so cheap! :angry:
Have had much better luck with CBS/Paramount, Rhino, Fox and Buena Vista sets.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Where are you season 3??? It seems to be doing pretty good on TV in the UK, it was on ITV1 which is like mainstream day time TV and now it's moved to ITV 3 where it's on every day... I hate it when they desert fans like this, I never saw all the episodes as I wasnt around lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks