What's new

Fanboys (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I posted this in the Star Wars thread, but it's its own entity and deserves its own thread.

Besides, can we have enough Kristen Bell as Slave Leia?

Description from the IMDb:

Sounds promising. And then there's this:

:D

Besides that, check these out:

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/8...oshots1dc0.jpg

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6...oshots2eo5.jpg

Come on. This couldn't be any more up geek alley if it tried. The very fact that they tried to get Jorge Garcia to play Harry Knowles is somehow encouraging.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0489049/

Brian D H

Second Unit
A little story:

My cousin is a struggling screen writer who lives in LA. He's been having some moderate success selling his screen plays to a few European production companies (One movie may be filmed in Galway and has the interest of some of the Python boys to produce). Although he's been bouncing between LA, NYC, Germany and Ireland for the last few years nothing of his has yet made it to screen. He's currently writing for German television.

Anyway, about two years ago he was telling me how he and his partner were pitching this particular movie all over Hollywood. They managed to get meetings with a number of studio executives, but couldn't sell it. All the studios seemed to think that his idea wouldn't appeal to a wide enough audience.

What was the idea? It was a comedy - a road movie about a group of fanboys travelling in a van enroute to a convention. His version had a mixture of geeks: 1 Star Wars, 1 Star Trek, 1 Comic Book, 1 Gamer, 1 Ren-Faire, and 1 Goth/LARPG. The title was...... "Fanboys". It's either theft or coincidence, but that's Hollywood for you. My cousin isn't upset about it since he understands that that's the risk you take when you pitch an idea. They can always change it just enough to get away with it. Besides, if he made a stink he knows he's never get hired.
______

As far as this one goes: I kind of wish it wasn't focused even more narrowly than my cousin's version. I'd have loved to see other types of "fanboys" lampooned/portrayed, and I think the dialog between the different types could have been hilarious. But, I'm still looking forward to this.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think I'd still be upset about it. I can imagine he'll go to see it, mainly to see if he can recognize any of his ideas, and get either mad or depressed if he does. He's smart not to fight it since he's trying to break in, but it all does really suck.

Brian D H

Second Unit
It's also possible that it's coincidence. He can't be the first person to think that fanboys are funny.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
"Fanboys" is such an obvious title for a movie that I wouldn't call it theft. "It's like Detroit Rock City meets Trekkies!" Seriously, after "Trekkies", who hasn't envisioned a Star Wars-related comedy/docu called "Fanboys"?

Or... "Warsies" :D (free lunch if anyone gets the reference)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I propose we don't make theft/not theft the direction of the thread, but I guess everyone's free to type what they want.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
The guys who made this actually pitched this before The Phantom Menace had it's world premiere. I read about this movie at around the time the Star Wars hype was at a fever pitch, around March of '99. After the movie turned out to be such a massive disappointment to most people, I thought the interest in such a concept would of died off, but to my surprise, here it is.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think the disappointment makes it even more interesting. I'm already cringing at the post-movie reaction scene. "My dying wish was to watch THAT?" Heh.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I am definitely interested in seeing this, and that picture sealed the deal. I like me Kristen Bell!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A trailer is available, albeit in YouTube quality video:

I got a "failed" when I tried to play that embedded. If you experience the same, here's the URL:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That pic is from 2006 if I'm not mistaken. She didn't do anything quite so interesting this year. :)

This movie seems to be in quite the state of development. I assumed it was going to be released soon, but then they announced the contest to win a walk-on part in the movie, so I guess that means now for a little while longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks