Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

16-Year-Old Dies From Allergic Reaction

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
Life changed in the matter of an hour for the Schivley family. It was in that short span of time that the youngest family member, 16-year-old Brent died from an allergic reaction to peanuts.

"It's hard to believe one bite of a cookie took my son's life," said Caryl Schivley, Brent's mother.

Brent was at a friend's house when he unknowingly took a bite out of a Nutty Bar. At the time the cookies were away from its original box and individually wrapped in plastic.

"And then he said, this is what his friends told me, 'I should not have eaten this.' He threw it in the trash can and he went and took Benadryl, which has always what's worked," said Caryl.

But about an hour later, Brent had an allergic reaction as he walked home. He collapsed on the side of the road and didn't respond to administered EPI-Pens or the care of emergency workers.

"I think the reaction just got away from him."

The Schivley family says Brent has always been good about monitoring his food allergy. While they don't fault Little Debbie for his death, they wish all companies would put labels on all food packaging.

"If there was a label on the clear package that said peanuts or said contains nuts then he never would have taken a bite," explained Caryl.

Added Chuck Schivley, Brent's father, "If they have an opportunity to know what they're eating and read that label that can be the difference between life and death."

With allergic reactions coming on so quickly, the family says the best advice is to be prepared.

"Keep an EPI Pen on hand because really with such a limited time frame when you have that type of reaction, you need to have it there almost immediately," he said.

Maybe its just me but if I were allergic to nuts and I saw the name of a product was NUTTY bar I think I would stay away from it.

Quote:
"If they have an opportunity to know what they're eating and read that label that can be the difference between life and death."

How did they know it was a nutty bar if it had no label?

#2 of 36 Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted September 14 2006 - 06:42 AM

Quote:

Because the box that was in another location was labeled Nutty Bar but the plastic wrapped individual bar that he ate was not labeled:

Quote:
At the time the cookies were away from its original box and individually wrapped in plastic.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#3 of 36 D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 06:42 AM

Quote:
Maybe its just me but if I were allergic to nuts and I saw the name of a product was NUTTY bar I think I would stay away from it.

But the article clearly says:

Quote:
At the time the cookies were away from its original box and individually wrapped in plastic.

Quote:
If there was a label on the clear package that said peanuts or said contains nuts then he never would have taken a bite

Does this clear it up for you?
Scott

#4 of 36 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,000 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 14 2006 - 06:49 AM

When you were 16, was every decision you made smart? I was not a reckless kid, but there were a couple of times I took a chance I shouldn't have.

It's amazing how many teenage boys make it to adulthood.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#5 of 36 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassen M. West
The article suggest he didn't see the name of the product. The wrapper had no label.

Quote:
Because they know the box where the individually wrapped bars came from. The bars were away from the box. The kid never saw the original box. Also, are there no candies you can recognize even without a label?

No one is arguying the fact that the kid should have been more careful. But when one is allergic to something as mundane as nuts, such oversights are bound to happen. The kid's reaction suggest that not only he is no stranger to such occurences, he underestimated the severity of the situation.

In their grief, the parents simply wish there were a label on the candy wrapper.

This is an unfortunate and tragic accident.

--
H

#6 of 36 Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 07:07 AM

Not every decision, but I knew I was allergic to bee's so I stayed away. Plus nutty bars smell like peanut butter and almost taste like it. This isn't a choice if he should jump his bike off "the awesome jump" we just made out of plywood and duct tape over sharp rocks. This is open the package and smell the nuts, maybe take a bite. I'm not making fun of the kid or his family but nut allergies are one of the worst I just think he could have been more cautious. Also nut allergies can get worse over time making the reaction get worse over time as well. I knew a 9 year old that had diabetes and she could administer her own shots and knew how to read her blood sugar. Age should have nothing to do with how well you know your own body or how quickly you can dial 911.

#7 of 36 D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 07:27 AM

OK, but that is entirely different point than your first point. In your first post, you said that he knowingly ate a bar that was clearly labelled "Nutty Bar". Now you are saying that he's an idiot even if it wasn't labelled.
Scott

#8 of 36 Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 07:37 AM

Here is a rule if you are allergic to something:

If you don't know what you are eating, don't eat it.

#9 of 36 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
Not every decision, but I knew I was allergic to bee's so I stayed away. Plus nutty bars smell like peanut butter and almost taste like it. This isn't a choice if he should jump his bike off "the awesome jump" we just made out of plywood and duct tape over sharp rocks. This is open the package and smell the nuts, maybe take a bite. I'm not making fun of the kid or his family but nut allergies are one of the worst I just think he could have been more cautious. Also nut allergies can get worse over time making the reaction get worse over time as well. I knew a 9 year old that had diabetes and she could administer her own shots and knew how to read her blood sugar. Age should have nothing to do with how well you know your own body or how quickly you can dial 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D

Yes. We know. The parents know. The kid probably did too. Yet he fucked up and died. It's his fault. We know. The parents know. No one said, or implied otherwise. So I have to ask... what exactly is your point?

--
H

#10 of 36 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 09:37 AM

It's sad because he only took one bite. Maybe if he ate the whole thing, I'd be thinking: "Didn't he realize he was eating a peanut product?" but he took one bite and realized his mistake. Definitely one of those "Damn, that was stupid" moments that we all have made. This (unfortunately) was a deadly mistake.
Quote:
While they don't fault Little Debbie for his death, they wish all companies would put labels on all food packaging.
While I have no problem with this, it always bugs me when we have to create warnings upon warnings on every product. Sure this isn't as bad as the f**in "Caution: Contents Inside are VERY HOT!" warning on McDonald's coffe cups, but it's this whole idea of making sure that manufacturers have to warn us to ensure our safety that makes me wonder...

Or maybe I'm just upset because of all of the press I've been hearing about "Anti-Bacterial" stuff that is supposedly causing these recent peanut allergy deaths. The idea that people are SO freaked out about germs that they are creating a generation of children that can't even handle peanut dust. Posted Image

#11 of 36 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,930 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 09:39 AM

Is there a study anywhere that suggests that people are more allergic to things than in the past? I just seem to hear about people being (deathly) allergic to nuts and other things but I don't remember hearing that much about it when I was younger and I was someone who read the papers and kept up with the news all the time.

#12 of 36 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 09:53 AM

Kevin, do some research into Anti-Bacterial studies. From what I've read, a lot of studies say that these products are making things so clean that our bodies are trying to find SOMETHING to be allergic to. They say that this is the reason for all of the peanut allergies in kids.

I would assume that these kids immune systems haven't had the chance to work enough, so they are more susceptible to allergies like peanuts.

#13 of 36 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 10:15 AM

Damn- I like those things too, though I've always wondered why they were called "Nutty Bars" when there's no actual nuts in them besides peanut butter.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#14 of 36 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 11:39 AM

> If you don't know what you are eating, don't eat it.

My thoughts exactly, when you are so allergic to something so common.

#15 of 36 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 02:48 PM

Quote:
...This isn't a choice if he should jump his bike off "the awesome jump" we just made out of plywood and duct tape over sharp rocks. This is open the package and smell the nuts, maybe take a bite...

Isn't that what he did? He took a bite, realized it wasn't something he should have eaten, threw the rest away, and tried to save himself. Did you read the same original-post that I did?
Kyle McKnight

#16 of 36 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D

true, how about NOT taking a chance? sad for all involved, and everyone has the right answers after the fact, but a strong peanut allergy is not something you fuck around with.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#17 of 36 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 05:46 PM

It was a tragic combination -- he did the usual that would deal with the coming allergic reaction (take Benadryl), but for some reason this reaction was particularly strong, and it sadly killed him.

In hindsight, as someone allergic to peanuts, he should have stayed away from any cookie unless he knew for certain it was nut-free. But that's in hindsight, which is always 20/20 -- at the time who would've known?

I do find it odd, I read lots of reports of peanut allergies in the US etc, but I have never heard of anyone being allergic to peanuts here.

#18 of 36 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 05:47 PM

Posted Image

On the outside, it looks like a chocolate covered wafer.

#19 of 36 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ Reynolds
true, how about NOT taking a chance? sad for all involved, and everyone has the right answers after the fact, but a strong peanut allergy is not something you fuck around with.

CJ

...again... the point?...

--
H - COMPLETELY disgusted by the overwhelming of stench of the smugness in some of these reactions to the preventable, yet distressingly EASY (one mistake!) death of a teenager. Bleeeeech Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 of 36 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
...again... the point?...

--
H - COMPLETELY disgusted by the overwhelming of stench of the smugness in some of these reactions to the preventable, yet distressingly EASY (one mistake!) death of a teenager. Bleeeeech Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
so why do i have to explain my point? a nutty bar reeks of peanut butter, as soon as you take it out of the package, whether it is marked or not. it's also extremely easy to open it up and find layers of peanut butter. i dont think anyone was calling the kid a moron, most of us were just saying he could have used more caution. but it's in the past, so there's no point talking about it? i dont get why you reply to everyone who doesnt have a "point".

and what you do you expect in a thread like this? it surely isn't going to only be "what a tragedy, i feel for the family" posts, which i'm sure we all do. the kid made a mistake, and in any other AHL thread where someone makes a stupid mistake resulting in severe injury or death, their decisions are questioned. but we can't talk about this one?

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow