| Life changed in the matter of an hour for the Schivley family. It was in that short span of time that the youngest family member, 16-year-old Brent died from an allergic reaction to peanuts. |
"It's hard to believe one bite of a cookie took my son's life," said Caryl Schivley, Brent's mother.
Brent was at a friend's house when he unknowingly took a bite out of a Nutty Bar. At the time the cookies were away from its original box and individually wrapped in plastic.
"And then he said, this is what his friends told me, 'I should not have eaten this.' He threw it in the trash can and he went and took Benadryl, which has always what's worked," said Caryl.
But about an hour later, Brent had an allergic reaction as he walked home. He collapsed on the side of the road and didn't respond to administered EPI-Pens or the care of emergency workers.
"I think the reaction just got away from him."
The Schivley family says Brent has always been good about monitoring his food allergy. While they don't fault Little Debbie for his death, they wish all companies would put labels on all food packaging.
"If there was a label on the clear package that said peanuts or said contains nuts then he never would have taken a bite," explained Caryl.
Added Chuck Schivley, Brent's father, "If they have an opportunity to know what they're eating and read that label that can be the difference between life and death."
With allergic reactions coming on so quickly, the family says the best advice is to be prepared.
"Keep an EPI Pen on hand because really with such a limited time frame when you have that type of reaction, you need to have it there almost immediately," he said.
- View New Content
- Blu-ray, DVD, Streaming Video and Digital Downloads
- Home Theater Hardware
- Theaters, Remotes and Accessories
- Equipment Reviews
- DVD & Blu-ray Reviews
- Other Diversions
- Bargains and Deals
- Feedback and Testing
- DVD/HDvision (French)
- Theater Photos
DVD & Blu-ray Reviews
- Equipment Reviews
Blu-ray Release Listings
- Shop Amazon