Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SONY changes the Front Projection Landscape with a real "Pearl" **NEW Info (9/15)**

CEDIA 2005-2007

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 03:10 PM

We came away from the Sony Press Conference at CEDIA this afternoon with a realization that the entire pricing structure for state of the art Front Projectors has been completely decimated.

They introduced their brand new 1080p SXRD (LCoS) 3 chip projector - the VPL-VW50 (nicknamed the "Pearl" after its older sibling, the $10,000 VPL-VW100 - The "Ruby" -) with the following specifications:

1080p resolution (1920 x 1080)
3 Chip SXRD (LCoS) technology
2 1080p HDMI inputs with full support for 24fps!

And here's where it gets interesting:

List Price $4999!!!

That's half the price of last years FP with some added capabilities. There are some differences (a UHP lamp instead of a Xenon lamp) but on first glance the plusses greatly outweigh the minuses.

Naturally, we will be visiting both the SONY booth and the STEWART SCREENS booth (they announced a SONY/STEWART home theater partnership at the conference as well) to do some extensive hands on viewing, etc. with the actual unit. And, as I write this, Ron and Parker are working on getting the video of the press conference on line here at the HTF so you can see the announcements unfold. There are some other goodies there as well (including the fact that the Sony Blu-ray player will output 1080p/24 which is very good news for the best presentation of film material.) Watch for an announcement when the video becomes available.

And for those who want a little "taste" of what was, up to now, a "rumor" here's a link to some of the specs.

Look for our video.
Look for additional specs as they are posted on the web.

Sony says the unit will be available from them "immediately" (whatever that means.)

$4995 list price.

The game has changed and the ripple effect has to make other projectors cheaper from top to bottom. Otherwise it's a no brainer for people who were looking for an FP option.

Much more to follow.
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#2 of 21 ONLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,670 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 05:59 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks for posting that. First, $4999 is an UNREAL price for this....unreal. Should street for around $ 4000 perhaps????

Even better news for those who still can't bring that home will be the more affordable offerings from Panasonic, Optoma, InFocus, & Mitsubishi....add Sanyo & Benq to that mix too.

With Sony's 1080p Pearl pricing strategy...it actually helps lower the cost of other units imo.

Wow. Wow.

Might just be that 1080p front projection is more of a reality than a dream. Posted Image

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 06:22 PM

Quote:
With Sony's 1080p Pearl pricing strategy...it actually helps lower the cost of other units imo.

Exactly, Tim. As I mentioned in the "normal" thread in the Displays area, lowering the price of any desirable technology causes a ripple effect in all models with lesser specs. It's win/win all around and all interested in HT at all levels benefit.

Posted Image Posted Image

To me, the trip has already been worth it and the show doesn't officially begin until later this morning!

Incidently, since I observed your signature graphic, you might be interested in what film we will be seeing this evening at a theater here in Denver in 4K digital (!) - thanks to Texas Instruments. Yep - Superman Returns. (No, I can't sneak out a digital copy for you and post it here as a CEDIA "video." You'll have to settle for the Sony Press conference for now!)

Way past my bedtime or I'll never make it through tomorrow.

RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#4 of 21 ONLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,670 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
Exactly, Tim. As I mentioned in the "normal" thread in the Displays area, lowering the price of any desirable technology causes a ripple effect in all models with lesser specs. It's win/win all around and all interested in HT at all levels benefit.

To me, the trip has already been worth it and the show doesn't officially begin until later this morning!

Incidently, since I observed your signature graphic, you might be interested in what film we will be seeing this evening at a theater here in Denver in 4K digital (!) - thanks to Texas Instruments. Yep - Superman Returns. (No, I can't sneak out a digital copy for you and post it here as a CEDIA "video." You'll have to settle for the Sony Press conference for now!)

Way past my bedtime or I'll never make it through tomorrow.

Way cool!! Superman Returns! That's swell. Posted Image Very jealous.

Get some rest Robert...as we expect much more reporting from you. Posted Image

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 12:23 AM

The VPL-VW50 is officially on the SonyStyle site HERE.
Shipping in October.
Film at Eleven (last night)
Posted Image
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 01:30 AM

More information HERE. We will be looking at the JVC today or tomorrow.

Early info: The SONY is under $5,000. The JVC is under $7,000.

The SONY ships in early October. They are "predicting" that the JVC ships in "First Quarter, 2007."
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#7 of 21 ONLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,670 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 02:49 AM

Good stuff Robert....how was the movie you dog! Posted Image

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 06:46 AM

This is great news. I want to save for the Pearl, though I still don't know how I'm gonna do fp in my space. I'll have to try to figure out a way. Posted Image

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 10:59 AM

I see a 1080p projector in my near future!!

Awesome news, Robert!!

Mike

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#10 of 21 ONLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,670 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 09:59 PM

I just read that review on the Pearl which, btw, was the most specific and detailed video gear review I have EVER read. Wow.

The Pearl is out of my price range for now...but after reading that review, this one might just be worth waiting a little and selling off a few body parts in order to get it. Posted Image....Looks might impressive. Mighty impressive. Posted Image

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,572 posts

Posted September 16 2006 - 04:07 AM

Robert, I just wanted to say Welcome to Colorado. Wish I could come down there and finally meet in person. You've had 90 degree weather and now you can expect rain and 60 mph winds. Enjoy!

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,941 posts

Posted September 16 2006 - 05:31 AM

quick, sell your FP NOW! before prices go crazy Posted Image. heh heh heh. this is good news ALL AROUND. it means that it will take LESS years for a 1080p FP to be in $1,000-2,000 range Posted Image. awesome, just totally awesome.

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 16 2006 - 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRice
Robert, I just wanted to say Welcome to Colorado. Wish I could come down there and finally meet in person. You've had 90 degree weather and now you can expect rain and 60 mph winds. Enjoy!

Thank you, John. Yes, it was lot hotter here than in NY (unexpected, especially for the middle of September.) And the wind blew me all the way back to my hotel as I get ready to head out again tonight.

I've been to Colorado and Denver enough times in the past to expect the unexpected. Downtown has hatched a lot of new buildings and cleaned up several others since I was last here in 2004.

Take care.
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted September 16 2006 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
More information HERE. We will be looking at the JVC today or tomorrow.

The SONY ships in early October. They are "predicting" that the JVC ships in "First Quarter, 2007."
Early reports are that the new JVC bests not only the Pearl, but also the Ruby as well. Did you get a chance to see the JVC yet?

I agree with those posting that these price-performance ratios seem to be amazing, and has me seriously thinking of going FP.

Regards,
Dan

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
We will be looking at the JVC today or tomorrow.

Help! Where is your comment about the JVC projector?

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 07:40 AM

Sorry about the oversight. The JVC product was a prototype and not really ready for prime time in September. The JVC reps really couldn't answer any questions about the final specs so the jury is still out.

Rumor has it that the unit will be released near the end of 1st Q 2007 and I expect there will be more concrete information at CES. I'm as eager as the next person to learn more. In fact I've put a purchase on a Sony Pearl on hold until the JVC is released before I make my own personal FP upgrade.
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts

Posted January 06 2007 - 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
I'm as eager as the next person to learn more. In fact I've put a purchase on a Sony Pearl on hold until the JVC is released before I make my own personal FP upgrade.
That is exactly my attitude! I'm not going to move until someone with judgement and experience has made a proper comparison.

As and when you are able, let us all know how the two compare.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 03:49 PM

I'm also not dismissing 1 chip DLP 1080p from consideration as well. With 1080p and more modern color engines the chance of any "rainbow effect" has been greatly reduced and I've never been suceptible to these rainbows anyway so I don't need a three chip model in that regard. While LCoS is nice, I do prefer the richer colors and deeper blacks of DLP (my Runco is 720p DLP) and the Optoma HD81 has been getting great reviews and can be had for under $6K. I'm waiting on all this until after CES in any event.
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts

Posted February 17 2007 - 04:12 AM

The JVC DLA-HD1 projector has just been given a rave review in the British magazine Home Cinema Choice.

HMC says the projector is physically large and has 2 x HDMI inputs as well as component, S-video and composite. The review comments particularly on the black levels achieved by the projector - (JVC claim contrasts levels 0f 15000:1) - the vivid range of colours and the detailed images free of noise. The review declares that the JVC is superior to the Sony Pearl and possibly the Ruby too. It summarises by saying that it "simply blows the competition away" and that it "could rock the world to its very foundations."

Extravagant praise. Anyone able to offer a second opinion?

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 10:17 AM

I saw the prototype of this JVC projector at CEDIA 2006 in Denver last September. At the time it looked promising but I reserved decision because it wasn't yet a final product. Now that several people whose opinions I value have seen the JVC DLA-RS1 in action at CES 2007 and have commented on how great it looks I'm actually ordering one for my home theater. While the "Pearl" is a great unit, it appears that the RS-1 raises the bar even more with greater brightness and blacker blacks. Watch the forum for a review after I've installed my new projector. (Probably late March/Early April).
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

Back to CEDIA EXPO 2005-2007

Forum Nav Content I Follow