Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Flying Cars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Julia

Julia

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 10:27 AM

Ok, it’s 2006. Where are my flying cars? Yes I know they have them already, but you need a pilot’s license (which is silly because they are VTOL and you don’t need to use an airport runway, but I guess you need a license to use a helipad too). I don’t want big bulky VTOL specially licensed cars, I want something like this: speaking of which, what is this from?

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 11:32 AM

I don't want all you people flying in cars. It's bad enough as it is.

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 12:50 PM

Well... A flying car that runs on fuel would be too dangerous. I don't see that ever happening. People would be falling to their deaths from the sky. Also, most people wouldn't be able to handle the flying car.

I could see it happening with some sort of magnetism, but even then, it's too dangerous.
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 01:11 PM

Quote:
Well... A flying car that runs on fuel would be too dangerous. I don't see that ever happening. People would be falling to their deaths from the sky. Also, most people wouldn't be able to handle the flying car.

Not really. If it got to the point of flying cars, computer control would be advanced enough to deal with issues such as low fuel, collision avoidance, navigation, etc.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia
... they are VTOL and you don’t need to use an airport runway

Julia,
Have you been watching Bladerunner, again? Those won't be in common use for another 10 years, and that's in California. Posted Image

Really, the flying cars I've seen were little planes with wings that folded back.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

• 1,153 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 01:21 PM

"It's times like this it occurs to me that we were lied to by The Jetsons..."

My Extensive DVD collection.

Shameless Webpage Plug: My Movie Reviews.

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 02:34 PM

http://www.hometheat....ght=flying car
LOL - deja vu

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 03:41 PM

I thought something seemed eerily familiar about this thread.

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Julia

Julia

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 06:03 AM

I found another flying car video. This one complete with idiotic German tourists, how I love them:

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted September 14 2006 - 08:35 AM

Forget it, won't happen.

Did you see Back to the Future II? Even if we create floating pylons to form skyways, do you really think that people will stay within them?
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Julia

Julia

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted September 18 2006 - 11:02 AM

What the hell, there's another:

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHastings
Actually I thought that this was a NeilV thread—at least until I noticed that someone else was the thread starter.
¡Time is not my master!

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Julia

Julia

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 05:42 AM

OK, I think this page sheds some light, but I'm not sure of what kind: http://www.angelfire...uturetechtoday/

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 05:49 AM

There was actually an ad on Yahoo's home page a few days ago. A didn't see exactly what it was, but if it comes up again, I'll se where the link goes.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan X
Not really. If it got to the point of flying cars, computer control would be advanced enough to deal with issues such as low fuel, collision avoidance, navigation, etc.

Computer control couldn't extend to vehicles that are being used that have no such control. This is why early 'self driving" cars from the 80's were scrapped. They did fine in same-model tests, but the transponders couldn't "see" vehicles without them and would run into cars/motorcycles at 65mph. (closed-track testing of course). Unless 'Beyond 2000' lied to me.

Plus we have a huge segment of society that simply has to tamper with any sort of government control or safety device made. If anybody could fly then we'd have alot more "Car lands in 3rd story bedroom" accidents. Aviation is an invention that MUST be retarded (in the non-offensive, technically correct use of the word) for the good of all mankind. Kinda for the same reasons we don't have "basement nuclear power plants" that PopSci. said we would be 1970.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Julia

Julia

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHastings
There was actually an ad on Yahoo's home page a few days ago. A didn't see exactly what it was, but if it comes up again, I'll se where the link goes.

Cool, let me know. I mean, I think it's a viral campaign for GM, but there are SO many cars under the GM umbrella that I wonder what they're actually advertising.

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 03:59 AM

Julia, I found your answer - it appears that it has to do with GM's new 100,000 mile extended warranty:
http://www.gm.com/wa...

There's a button to view the flying car commercial after the Flash animation loads.

But I still have no idea what flying cars have to do with 100,000 mile warranties???

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Julia

Julia

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 06:39 AM

Aha. Well thanks for finding that! How odd. I think that ad campaigns are actually getting better with all this viral stuff. I mean, I found those videos actually entertaining. Not sure if it makes me more likely to buy a GM car, but that 100,000 mile warranty doesn't sound bad! I bet it's something like that GM is "flying" about the competition with that offer... they should let me write ads. Posted Image

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia
I bet it's something like that GM is "flying" about the competition with that offer... they should let me write ads. Posted Image
LOL - The way I interpreted the "100,000 mile warranty = flying car" was "...above the competition".

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 06:47 AM

Allusion to freedom.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow