Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

'THE GRUDGE 2' looks to be decent enough.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted September 12 2006 - 07:10 PM

Just saw the trailer on INHD2 and I must say that it looks like it'll be just as good or better than the original, to which I am one of it's few fans. Posted Image

Should be a good time at the theater, just like the first.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 02:08 AM

Haven't seen the trailer yet, but I hope Shimizu does something as good as his Japanese stuff. The Grudge was pretty good, but not as good as Ju-on: The Grudge or its sequel.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,938 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 13 2006 - 02:32 AM

I looked at this site: http://www.sonypictu...hegrudge2/blog/

a little yesterday. It was a little to "Blair Witch" for my taste, but I'm still interested in the movie.

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 08:37 AM

I was underwhelmed by the first one. And the "The End...Or is it?" coda was ridiculous. The Japanese series is far spookier, and much more atmospheric. My girlfriend at the time watched The Grudge and told me "eh, it wasn't that scary". I made her watch Ju-On: The Grudge the next night. She didn't want to turn off the lights afterwards Posted Image

That said, the sequel looks interesting. And since I'm a sucker for Takako Fuji's portrayal of Kayako, I'm there.
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,938 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 13 2006 - 08:42 AM

The Grudge was plenty scary for me (I know, I'm a lightweight). Normally I would not hesitate to watch the original, but hearing that it's scarier...makes me stay away.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted September 13 2006 - 09:13 AM

I watched both and found them both frightening, Ju On had the slight edge, though.

How no one can get freaked by the sight of that girls face is beyond me, it gives me the heebeejeebees just thinking about it. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Josh.C

Josh.C

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 03:43 PM

Hearing that makes me want to watch the Japanese version. I thought the Grudge was ok, and could have been much better. I liked the Ring much more. Usually sequels to these types of films aren't even worth renting. That said, I'm still a sucker for them, and I'm sure I will convince myself to check it out anyway. JC

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,938 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 13 2006 - 05:10 PM

No kidding! It's one of a few movies I would like to own but don't out of FEAR.

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 05:33 PM

"The Grudge" didn't really do anything for me, but I'll probably still see the sequel. I mean, it's not like I hated the first one or anything. I just didn't find it great. I favored Ju On, as it had more atmosphere in my opinion.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 05:50 PM

I highly recommend the Japanese ones. They're lower budget films, so they have a less glossy look than their American counterparts, as well as more practical visual effects instead of CGI ones, but the end result is a more organic kind of horror movie, with Kayako coming across scarier because she's "there", with no digital enhancements to make her movements freakier. There's no mental "safety net" that reminds you "yeah, this is just a visual effect, it's not real". Think of the difference between Samara coming out of the TV in The Ring, complete with digital effects, and Sadako's arrival in Ringu. If you prefer the less glitzy original, you'll love the Ju-On series.

And the soundtrack... You'll never listen to piano music the same way again Posted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 05:59 PM

Yeah, I've prefered all the Asian originals to their American counterparts (The Ring and Ringu are close, however). And the soundtracks to most of the originals are indeed awesome. There's just something atmospheric and creepy because they're usually so miminalist, which may not be the best term to use, but it's all I can think of right now.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,809 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 06:14 PM

I've never seen The Grudge. The trailer on the Spiderman 2 disc is very scary to me and I'm a p___y. Posted Image

Not a big fan of horror movies as they bring out the cussing side of Timobi. When I get startled....S-bombs and F-bombs have a way of leaking out. Posted Image

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,256 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted September 14 2006 - 01:43 AM

Another vote for the Japanese version of The Grudge. I did enjoy the remake but the Japanese version is far creepier. And forget the woman, it's the little boy that scares me.... Posted Image especially in the Japanese version.

Looking forward to the sequel but would like to see the Japanese sequel first.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Josh.C

Josh.C

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 04:35 AM

I'm really glad I spotted this thread. I absoluetly love Horror flicks. Sometimes they are so bad, it's more comedy than horror. But the good ones will make you sit up in your bed at night, and make you feel like someone is walking around in your room.....BOO! Posted Image

I too prefer a more "fleshy" version as too overdone CGI, and agree with your description that it gives our minds a "safety net". Some of the best horror movies IMO are ones that had little to no CGI. The Changeling, The Shining, Poltergueist, and Pet Cemetary, to name a few.

Thanks for the info, I will be renting these soon.

JC

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,172 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 02:13 PM

The Grudge 2 was a pretty poor followup to The Grudge. Amber Tamlyn sleep-walks through the film, and it never becomes all that engaging because it's so poorly set up and relies too much on the spooky little blue kid and the spooky female for its scares on repeated basis to the point of parody. Its ending doesn't salvage an uninspired effort for its sequel. I give it 1.75 stars, or a grudge of C-.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 02:27 PM

I hated the teaser, it was like 2 minutes long. I kept thinking "Oh, it must be over" wrong! They probably showed just about every scary make you jump or cringe scene in the preview, God I hate it when they do that. I also hate they tell you in the teaser, in a F@#$ing TEASER! that Sarah's carracter is killed, so stupid.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted October 14 2006 - 02:57 PM

I quite liked it myself...It's more of the same from Shimizu, but if you like atmospheric horror then that's OK. The plot almost derails a couple of times due to a few overly silly set pieces, but there's was enough good creepiness and decent scares to make it a fun time. Some of the scares rely a bit too much on adding that sudden loud music cue when simply letting it play out would've been more effective. However, the rest of the sound design is well done and you actually get some deeper explanation of the curse's origins. I too thought they pretty much showed everything in the trailer, but the film still works and there's a still a few unexpected moments.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   BrettV

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 03:47 PM

I liked it, too. I don't really call those movies 'scary' .. but I do call them creepy. And this one had some great creepy moments. *** possible spoiler *** I hate the trailers nowadays. We have this supposed unknown hooded character going throughout the movie but she is clearly shown (including a cool creepy part) in the trailer. If you've paid any attention to the trailer, you immediately know who the 'hooded' neighbor is and what happens to her. Trailers give away WAY too much these days.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted October 15 2006 - 04:03 PM

It is a seasonal thing, also depend on our economy. For instance X-Men 3, they had cut costs for some reason and the preview showed all the cool parts that cost them a lot to make. Sometimes I feel the production value of the previews are better than the movies themselves. I really hope that Spider Man 3 isn't a dissipointment, but I will not hold my breath. If I go expecting the worst and get a descent movie I leave happy. If I go expecting a lot and get an OK movie it can be frustrating. Especially if the preview is awesome, anybody remember The Hulk?

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 06:51 AM

I just saw this yesterday and I must say that it was the first time in a long while that I came out of the theater pissed off for wasting my money and time. I'm a sucker for all horror movies but this time I was just a plain sucker for falling for this. What a convoluted mess this was. The plot didn't make any sense at all and it seemed like just an excuse to set up one creepy scene to the next. Sarah Michelle Gellar's sister is dragging her feet around like a zombie, trying to find out what happened to her sister and instead of giving us something new, we're given the same story that we got from the first movie. I don't know...I really wanted to like it.
Andres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users