What's new

Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas HD-DVD Combo 11-21-06! (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Ron Howard's How The Grinch Stole Christmas makes it's HD-DVD debut Nov. 21, 2006....

From dvdactive...

:)

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
I wonder why they keep saying that every now and then. They aren't anamorphic, they're natively widescreen with no squishing involved, unless they were referring to the DVD side.

Otherwise good news though. I think I've only seen this one once.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Awesome news. I love Christmas movies. But as far as Christmas titles go, though, I want to see Christmas Vacation in HD the most. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know everybody hates this film.

I absolutely loved it! Captured the original animated special perfectly!

I think that this film is going to look gorgeous on HD-DVD!

You know, months ago, when I had just a DVD player, I was totally
in favor of these combo discs. I thought it was a great idea for
people who still own DVD players and were thinking of one day buying
a HD-DVD player.

Now? I really dislike these combos. Yeah, they do allow us to play
the movie on any piece of equipment in our home --- but I'm not
particularly happy with the pricepoint.

Very happy to see GRINCH will be out on HD-DVD!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It's far from perfect....but still enjoyable. It should rather glorious on HD-DVD. It does capture alot of the original animated version although I do feel that one is indeed superior. Hopefully we'll get that one soon too. :)

Christmas Vacation would be AWESOME!

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

Ron, Universal missed a real opportunity to get HD-DVD in the hands of the masses. The masses won't pay that much for such an old catalogue title just for the added HD side as most of them probably already own this title on DVD and don't have HD players. A $19.99 SRP (15 or 16 retail) might (a big might I know) have pushed potential player buyers over the edge to upgrade, especially at Christmas time. The $35 SRP is going to make this new format look really expensive to the masses who might find the quality upgrade negligible. I'm an enthusiast and I won't pay that much. I got three kids, a mortgage and two car payments.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
It will be interesting to see how this disc will look.:rolleyes:

I was disappointed with the DVD when it first came out, because of the very soft focus of the picture. It was pointed out at the time that the theatrical film was intentionally made soft by the director, but any additional resolution would be most welcomed by me.

If the HD DVD will make it look as clear as I saw it at the theater, I'll be glad to pay the price for the holidays.:)

Paul

Dan M

Second Unit
I dont understand the theory behind these combo dics. Whats the point? Why would anybody who owns an HD DVD player want a standard def copy of the same movie? And vice versa. Why would anyone want to pay that kind of premium who doesnt own an HD DVD player just for the SD DVD? Just because they might be 'thinking' about buying into HD DVD down the road still doesnt warrant paying that much for a movie in the mean time IMO ....I dont get it. How is this good marketing strategy?

This is seriously hampering my buying decisions. I've already decided against buying Land of the Dead because of this

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the combo disc is sound in theory- its the price points they are coming in at that makes the theory untenable.

what they could have done was had
1) a standard dvd complete with extras on a second disc
2) a combo disc with no extras (the HD version would amount to the 'extra')
3) an HD DVD with the standard dvds extras

1 and 2 would be priced the same, while a slight premium would be tacked onto 3.

If that were the case, if Joe Six Pack wanted to get a jump on his HD collection, he wouldn't be put off by a higher sticker price in relation to what he has always picked up. And on the other hand, if HD owners wanted to pick up the title, we wouldn't be penalized or asked to subsidize other peoples adoption of the format.

In any case, it is more than stupid to price combo discs at a premium- if anything they should be 'loss leaders' designed to build a base. As of now, they are turning off the base.

Not very well thought out at this point.

as far as Seasonal fare goes, I'm looking forward to the announcment of A Christmas Story. never picked up the sd DVD, so I'm thinking this will be a good opportunity to add that one to my collection.

Dan M

Second Unit
well said Paul....

Now I understand Slither will be one of these combos as well. I was hoping to get that in HD but not sure its worth that price. I very much want to support the HD DVD format but this combo thing is truly turning me off and losing sales from me at the moment...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think that absolutley the biggest issue on combo discs is the price point. If the studios really want this idea to take off, they should be selling these at a loss rather than pumping the price up beyond the price of an HD only disc. Hell, sell them @ the same price and you'll get more adopters of this format than BD. What a concept!

I will say that the prices @ B & Ms in my area have been comparable to the difference b/w 1 and 2-disc versions of DVDs for Warner, but still: isn't the purpose of creating a new format to get as many people to adopt it as possible?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I absolutly agree with you. Now that I own a HD unit, the combo's are less appealing. In addition to the price point, I kind of like the having DVD's with the graphics on one side. Used to hate the S&P and Widescreen (dual sided releases). Had to get a magnifying glass out to read which side was which.

Thomas Eisenmann

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I think the appeal for most J6P customers (I work at Best Buy part time so I hear most of their questions/complaints/etc) would be "it's a movie I can play on our HDTV and also give it to the kids to play in the car on the portable, or in their rooms on their PS2"....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks