What's new

The Simpsons Season 18 (2006-2007) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the premiere of the Simpsons this past Sunday. It had a lot of great gags (the best being a Raiders of the Lost Ark bit) and a lot of references to The Godfather and The Sopranos. Some people say the show is tired and should hang it up, but I think it is remarkable that in its 18th season premiere, the show can still be fun. With the show renewed for two more years, and a movie next summer, it seems likely we'll be seeing a 25th year at some point.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Too bad they had already used virtually the exact same gag years earlier in "Homer the Great" (Stonecutters episode)

But, I still do like the show.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was pretty good, not great but much, much better than last season's manatees premiere atrocity. The show isn't back to its glory days, but this last season was very good, hopefully this one is too.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'd take family guy over simpsons right now =).

has it been 18 years? did it really start in 1988? holy cow! i must be getting old! i remembered watching first runs of this show when i was a teen.

i liked the ones i saw then around mid 90's to late 90's. didn't really have time to watch much of it in the last 6 years (busy w/school). i luv futurama. i really wish futurama would replace simpsons. why? SF is endless. the simpsons is limiting and very very tired. imho, they really should end simpsons and stick with futurama for the next 18-20 years!!! =).

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
That's my dream. Not that they should end Simpsons as I haven't watched it in years, but they just gotta bring Futurama back. Such a great show.

I did catch the season 18 opener and just thought it was average. Just felt too gimmicky to me with old jokes. Still impressive that this show has been on for so many seasons.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Actually, The Simpsons started in Dec. 1989 with its Christmas show. The regular season started as a mid-season show in Jan. 1990. With the exception of a slightly shorter first season, it really has been 18 seasons.

The good news is that Futurama is coming back! No idea if it will last 18 years (unlikely!) but at least 13 episodes are being made, to be shown (I believe) on Comedy Central. Futurama was a brilliant show and was never given the proper respect by Fox, which all but buried the show.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I keep thinking the 1st episode of The Simpsons was the one where Bart goes to a school for gifted kids, which I always refer to the Kywjibo episode.

Who remembers what a Kywjibo is? This had me rolling on the floor laughing when I first saw it. :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I may actually watch this season on The Simpsons. I havent seen the show really in about 5 or so years.

Sunday night were usually busy with HBO shows - Sopranos, Deadwood

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It's funny you mention this because I just listened to a commentary on the Season 8 DVD's (the Poochie episode) and they were saying how the show is actually still as funny as it always was (and I agree) but since a lot of the things that they used to do (that made the show popular) don't get the same 'shock' effect as they did when the show first started....I believe that's why people think it's gone down hill.

I'm kind of glad they don't go the South Park route where they have to keep pushing the envelope harder and harder to top each previous season. South Park is almost at the point where, if it doesn't top itself, it loses a lot fo ground. The Simpsons is still wonderful and funny. It may not make me laugh like it used to, but I seriously don't believe it's because it's not as funny.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
From what I remember, the Christmas special was still considered part of the Tracy Ullman Show.

As for last night's episode, I laughed when Bart and Principal Skinner had the peanut/shrimp faceoff, especially at the end when they threw those things at each other.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the Duel of the Fates music made it funnier. The whole concept of the episode was really great, but the end (with the rollercoaster) was a pretty lame way of ending the episode.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Personally, I thought the whole Homer/Marge plot was pretty lame and not terribly funny. The Bart/Skinner plot was a bit better.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks