Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stage Door Cinema

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Kent F

Kent F

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 05:01 AM

Mostly finished...let me know what you think!

http://www.hometheat....g2_itemId=6233

Thanks for looking.

Kent

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   L8NVR

L8NVR

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 05:25 AM

Kent, that is a fantastic looking setup you have there, how big is the room? How long were you working on it? Once again, very nice.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Kent F

Kent F

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for your kind words. Had a house fire last April, by the time we gutted the inside (sheetrock, some framing, all electrical, low voltage), and began actual construction in June...we decided to add an upstairs in our huge attic space that was previously unused. I had been wanting a Home theatre for about 6 years, and had actually gotten some bids for renovation/addition prior to the fire. I pretty much designed the upstairs myself, and had a builder/architect do a basic floor plan for the construction, and had them finish to the point of passing inspection...they followed my wiring needs, and I pre-determined all hvac, low-voltage box, receptacle and lighting switch locations. It took about 10 months of off/on work by myself and my father-in-law to complete the room. The proscenium, risers, stage, acoustical panels, placement of lighting, painting, trim, etc...was DIY. Still missing valance between speaker panels, and automated curtain for stage. But, my family and I are very proud, as this is my first big project and it came out almost exactly as I had envisioned. Still need some poster/print art...but the kids are happy! The room is 18'wx22'Lx8'H. Seating is Coaster. Sanyo Z4 projector at 14'2" on 104" Carada 2.35 Criterion screen. 7.1 surround by Axiom. Next task..."Stage Door Canteen" (snack/party bar) just outside the entrance. Kent

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   king

king

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 11:41 AM

Very nicely done. I know what it's like to put in your own time and effort...the rewards are well worth it. Mine is about 75% complete but still lots to do! It's nice to have such a big room, especially the width for all the seating. I can fit only 3 seats across and maybe 3 more behind. How did you do the blue neon lighting?? If you do put in frames art, don't put glass in the frames...I find that it shines a lot when watching movies.
Sony VPL-VW50 1080p Projector, Da-Lite 106" Cinema Contour screen, Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player,
Harman Kardon 335 7.1ch receiver, Polk Audio RTi10 speakers, CSi5 center, RC615i surrounds, Velodyne DPS-12 Sub, Monster 400, THX cables

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Kent F

Kent F

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 03:16 PM

The blue color is a little deceiving...I took the pics without flash, and the colors are off a little. The walls appear more red than the merlot/burgundy that they are...the carpet appears grey in the pics, but is actually a deep navy..and is very regal looking with the burgundy walls and gold trim. The rope light is led rope light that I picked up during the holidays last year...It tends to give off a blueish-white light and though it is 110v, I don't think it can be dimmed. It gives off the perfect amount of light, and I have it around the riser lip and the stage lip. The ceiling glows nicely, but doesn't appear so blue in person. Too bad. I've considered the canvas style movie prints...saw them somewhere on the web, will have to save it to favorites if I find it again...maybe it was on the "bay". Kent

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   DelRay

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 08:25 AM

Awesome job Kent.Posted Image Looks like you took your time and did it right. Now it's time to sit down and enjoy.Posted Image

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   David Noll

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 12:20 AM

Kent, Very well done!! And to steal back, from DelRay above, my response that I tell everyone "Make sure you find time to sit back and enjoy it!!!!" David

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Kent F

Kent F

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 10:15 AM

Thanks David...I will, that is...after I complete my curtains, and don't forget the buttkicker/shakers. But, it is nice to be able to sit back and watch. I followed the advice of not hanging the pj till almost finished, and am glad I did. I would not have finished to the point I have. Kent

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   CygnusX1

CygnusX1

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 02:36 AM

Showtimes? Ticket pricing? Don't leave us hanging! Posted Image

Excellent Job!!!

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Alen Koebel

Alen Koebel

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 03:01 PM

Very impressive! How did you do the lights around the ceiling? That's the first installation I've seen myself with dual "lines" - and different colors to boot!

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Kent F

Kent F

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 06 2006 - 11:59 PM

It is just done with crown moulding dropped down off the ceiling about 8 inches. Behind the crown, I put a ripped 2x3 for laying the led rope light, and used large (1/2" I think) plastic cable fasteners (U-shaped) to hold rope in place...I had rope channel from HD but the fasteneners were easier to work with for me. The rope gives off a slightly blueish-white glow, and the ceiling is painted flat black, so it gives that effect. I will say that no flash was used, and the colors are off in the pics. The walls are more of a deep burgundy/wine/merlot'ish color, the carpet deep navy, and the ceiling glow is not as blue in person as it appears...everybody seems to like it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users