-

Photo
- - - - -

The Class ongoing thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
107 replies to this topic

#1 of 108 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 04:27 AM

Tivo showed the first episode of "The Class" last night via Discovery, and commercial free. This show seems to be one of the breakout shows of the season. I was glad to see Jason Ritter get a role to prove he did inherit his father's comedic genious. Will it hold up for an entire season, I don't know, but I can't wait to see more.

#2 of 108 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,782 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 06:16 AM

"The Class" - I wouldn't mind it sticking around, but I am not sure it's going to find its footing amongst the viewers. The only reason I'd watch it is for Andrea Anders and Lizzie Kaplan. The premise of the show is that one classmate from the 3rd grade gathers as many 3rd grade classmates for his girlfriend (but it's been 20 years since 3rd grade for all of them), and when all these classmates gather and re-connect, some romantic sparks fly and the lure of a second chance proves to be irresistible for some of them.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 108 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 06:23 AM

I'll watch it because until I got to college, the best time I ever had in school was the third grade. I often wonder whatever happened to my friends (I moved away after 5th grade.

#4 of 108 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 07:49 AM

Seems odd to use 3rd grade - we weren't thinking of ourselves as a class then like we did in high school.

How do you even find people you knew when they were 8 or 9? Many of the women will have changed their names.

#5 of 108 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 11:16 AM

I saw this a few months ago, and the laugh track was really annoying, especially since there was only one or two good jokes in the whole thing. If they toned that down, and uh, write better jokes, it might work, since the cast is interesting.

#6 of 108 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 03:30 AM

I'm looking forward to this show - it looks like it'll be pretty funny, so I'm glad to hear some good stuff about it. I like Lizzy Caplan a lot, she was good in Mean Girls. I also think that it looks like it would pair well with How I Met Your Mother. I'll be checking it out next Monday.

#7 of 108 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,782 posts

Posted September 18 2006 - 01:56 AM

FYI: Series premiere on CBS tonight 8 p.m. EST.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#8 of 108 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 18 2006 - 04:01 AM

Woohoo! I'm looking forward to checking it out tonight.

FYI - A really good review, here: http://today.reuters....N-CLASS-DC.XML

#9 of 108 OFFLINE   Wendy_L

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 02:08 AM

I only watched about 1/2 of the episode last night and I wasn't that impressed. I'll give it another chance tonight. Maybe it was my mood last night.
Who needs a life when you have TV?
My Current Top 10: Grey's Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, Medium, Veronica Mars, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Lost, Heroes, Desperate Housewives, Entourage, Survivor
Top 3 All-Time Favorites: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Friends
I Still Miss: Tru Calling, Once &...

#10 of 108 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,032 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 19 2006 - 02:21 AM

It wasnt that bad. But then again, I am turning out to be a jinx for shows. If I like them, they get cancelled. So, since I just said it wasn't bad, maybe this show will not catch the "if Scott likes it, it will get cancelled" bug.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#11 of 108 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 02:44 AM

I really enjoyed it! I think the characters are all different enough that their interactions will stay interesting, and I like that they weren't all instantly best friends - there's a lot of places to go in terms of how they all become friends, and who has scenes with whom.

Lizzy Caplan was awesome. I loved the "I have totally forgotten your name" line. And the red headed depressed guy might have moved into the slot of my favorite character because I love that kind of dry and deadpan humor. (Also, did he hit her with a car? Totally not expecting that!)

#12 of 108 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,032 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 19 2006 - 02:52 AM

Abby, Yes, he ran her over. LOL

Guess he is the new Schleprock. Bad luck following him everywhere he goes.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#13 of 108 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 05:37 AM

The critics that panned The Class also panned How I Met Your Mother. I think both shows are good and a great way to start the week.

#14 of 108 OFFLINE   Daryl L

Daryl L

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby_B
I really enjoyed it! I think the characters are all different enough that their interactions will stay interesting, and I like that they weren't all instantly best friends - there's a lot of places to go in terms of how they all become friends, and who has scenes with whom.

Lizzy Caplan was awesome. I loved the "I have totally forgotten your name" line. And the red headed depressed guy might have moved into the slot of my favorite character because I love that kind of dry and deadpan humor. (Also, did he hit her with a car? Totally not expecting that!)
I thought it was pretty good too. Lizzy's great, I liked her in Related on WB last season. And the guy hitting the girl with his car was priceless and made the show worth the watch. I'll keep following it for the time being.

BTW, it can be watched free on cbs.com on innertube if interested.
Daryl L 
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
15" LED Glossy Widescreen
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB GDDR3 Vram

#15 of 108 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,421 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted September 19 2006 - 08:43 AM

It was ok. I'll probably give it another episode or two before I commit it to a series recording.
There were some things that just didn't sit right. Not really sure what those things were either.
I think my biggest problem was that it took half of the episode to figure out who that girl was (the one from Mean Girls).
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#16 of 108 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 10:30 AM

I had low expectations for this show and I was totally surprised that I enjoyed it thoroughly. Hope it holds up as it makes a great lead for the Monday comedy block.

#17 of 108 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams
I had low expectations for this show and I was totally surprised that I enjoyed it thoroughly. Hope if it holds up as it makes a great lead for the Monday comedy block.

I know - I think it goes really well with How I Met Your Mother.

The car thing? Priceless. Richie the Depressed Guy is awesome Posted Image It just came out of nowhere and was so funny. I like that it seems to be going for the unpredictable there (and with other things - like how they are not all still friends, that some people weren't really into the "reconnecting" thing, etc.)

#18 of 108 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 02:18 PM

Richie hitting her with the car was what sealed it for me. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

#19 of 108 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Morris
Richie hitting her with the car was what sealed it for me. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

That was totally awesome. I actually still had the ep on the DVR, and I watched that part again, and it was still funny. Posted Image Hi-larious.

I wonder if that incident will play in next week? (Maybe that is how they all keep reconnecting?)

#20 of 108 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 05:28 AM

Damn, I missed it. How many episodes have there been? Are they legally available anywhere?

Forum Nav Content I Follow