What's new

Let the controller debate begin! (1 Viewer)

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Ok well to start things off I thought Id post a few pictures of each of the controllers. Personally I like the dreamcast one a lot more than the PSX one so I'm leaning towards the Xbox controller for comfort.
All of them side by side:
fourway.jpg

Back of the GC Controller
GCNcontrollerback.jpg

Back of the Xbox Controller
Xboxback.jpg

Here is the Xbox controller for Japan
JapanXbox.jpg

Here are some interesting links, even one of a Xbox glowing in a kiosk. http://www.telusplanet.net/public/so.../Xboxkiosk.jpg
top of an Xbox controller: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/so...rs/Xboxtop.jpg
Xbox beside a Dreamcast: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/so...SDreamcast.jpg
Oh and a picture of a Xbox controller beside a hand to give you an idea of how big it is. http://www.telusplanet.net/public/so...oxwithhand.jpg
What do you think is the best and why?
Dean

James D S

Screenwriter
smiley_jawdrop.gif
Is the outer layer on that XBox controller's cable woven?
It's pretty hard to beat that Dreamcast controller. Seems Microsoft agrees.
wink.gif

[Edited last by James D S on August 08, 2001 at 03:02 AM]

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Based on the above photos my first choice would be the Gamecube controller. I'm comfortable with both Playstation and Dreamcast controllers, and Gamecube looks like it just might turn out to be the best of both worlds.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
For fighting games I think you can't beat the Sega Saturn pad. I have held several revisions to the Xbox controller, including the Jap one....and I know I will be importing a Jap controller, and I have big hands also, but for overal gaming I like the Jap Xbox controller the best. I haven't held a GameCube controller but I will take BrianB's word that it rocks. Now I wish companies would look at the Sega Saturn analog pad when making their analog devices, sure it took up more room on the face, but it rocked! I hate the sticks, my thumb is constantly slipping off of it and it just doesn't give me the feeling of being in controll like a good ol' D-Pad does.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Is that last Xbox controller the Japanese version?
Here are my thoughts on each:
I have what I assume are average sized hands if that matters.
Dreamcast: holding the Dreamcast pad forces my hands at an awkward angle with the bottom of my wrists slightly facing my body (whereas most controllers allow the wrists to face one another). This causes an odd strain over extended play periods.
I love the button layout and the analog pad is fantastic. I just don't like the way the controller angles inward at the bottom.
I can't believe no one has copied the VMU idea. It's the most innovative (and poorly used) controller feature I've yet seen.
PS2: When using the controls on the front face (that is, all the buttons except for the shoulder buttons) this is my favorite controller of all time. However, once I'm forced to use the shoulder buttons this controller drops to second on my list to the N64 pad.
The shoulder buttons, used in conjunction with the front face buttons, stretches me in ways I find uncomfortable. This is really only a problem with extended play, however.
The placement of the analog sticks is perfect. Though the D-pad is poor compared to Sega and Nintendo D-pads.
GameCube: I have no experience with this controller but it looks very similar in general layout to the PS2 pad. I've read it's smaller than the PS2 pad so perhaps that will make the shoulder buttons more comfortable?
Did the Z-trigger make it into the final version?? It's not in the picture above.
Xbox: Again, I have no experience with it. It sure does look like a big Dreamcast pad. The buttons really look like the same hard plastic material Microsoft uses for it's PC game pads...and let me tell you...those buttons SUCK.
I'm still not sure what to think about the huge green Xbox logo in the middle. I had hoped that was a button with a 'control-alt-delete' macro on it.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Camp on August 08, 2001 at 11:51 AM]
[Edited last by Camp on August 08, 2001 at 11:52 AM]
[Edited last by Camp on August 08, 2001 at 11:53 AM]

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
---------------------------------------------------------
Is that last Xbox controller the Japanese version?
---------------------------------------------------------
yes
A couple more details about the controllers:
The nintendo has a different feel to it than all of the rest. it feels almost like its made out of a hard rubber more than plastic. Should make it much nicer to hold on to for longer times.
The Xbox controller has 2 (custom shape)usb ports out of the top of it. This means that you will be able to add things like microphones, headsets, electrical zappers (don't laugh there are some in development) ect that will be able to connect to your Xbox without the big ass cord to the actuall console. Cool idea for sure.
I find that the PSX controller makes my hands cramp up after about an hour or so, the GC one is even a bit smaller so I think this might become worse. Thank goodness the stick is where it should be. Put the sony buttons on the Game cube controller and you would have what the PS2 controller should of been.
Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, the GCN has the best controller, and here's why:
First off, the 4 main face buttons (A, B, X, Y) are made so you can press A and either X or Y or B at the same time. This way, you can do attacks that require multiple button presses at the same time. Also, it only has 4 face buttons. 6 is a little hard to use, since you can't cover them all with just one finger. I know that two aren't used often on the XB controller, but its still a design flaw IMO. The L and R buttons are easy to reach and have a special click feature (push them in all the way and it clicks, registering as a new button press) that can be used for some games. The Z button is located in front (or behind, I'm not sure) of the R button, and is supposed to be easy to use. The C-stick is a good idea, and the D-pad and other stick are supposed to be easy to reach and use. The different sizes of the buttons allows you to find them without looking at the controller or memorizing the layout. Also, the controller is lighter than most (the DC one was heavy, and I've heard the same thing about the X-Box controller) and is still very functional.
Also, I don't see why everyone liked the DC controller so much. The D-pad was out of the way, it was heavy, the cord got in the way, it was huge, and it wasn't very functional. If MS knew what they were doing, they would have made an entirely new design. That D-pad on the XB looks to be hard to use, and the buttons look small and cluttered. 6 buttons is harder to use, even if two aren't supposed to be used often.
The PS2 controller is functional and easy to use. Just memorize the 4 face buttons, and you can use it. I just use one finger for the L and R buttons. I can see it getting annoying to use after a while, but for the most part I think it is up there as one of the best.
Everything that I said was "supposed to be" was from reviews of the GCN from E3 or from people who played demos. It is not first hand experience.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I haven't used any of these systems, but web reports from E3, I believe, generally agreed that the GC controller was very comfortable and the XBox controller was very uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I can't find them anymore.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I think the Sony Dual Shock is about as close to perfect as you can get. Nintendo's pads always feel weird, and the DC's controller curved inward, prompting the most unnatural hand position imaginable. XBOX's looks ok, as the sides slope outward.

That said, I've never found a third party controller that was as good quality as the original system controller.

------------------
- Dave

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=bickle

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Dean,
Will the final GC controller have the Z-button below the R button? Your photo doesn't show it. Morgan's info seems to indicate that it will be included. Anyone have a final verdict?
-Camp

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I had read in a Rogue Leader preview at GameSpot that it was above it, and the latest issue of Nintendo Power goes along with that. Then again, the RL preview said the B Button was bean shaped, and the final version is not. So I would assume the Z Button is above the R Button.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Well, initially the Z-button was a "trigger" that only your right hand could reach. Then at E3 Nintendo made a big deal of the way the shoulder buttons "click" like a trigger after traveling quite a bit.
I was never able to determine if that was the death of the official Z-button or not. I kind of think the "click" added to the shoulder buttons replaced the Z-trigger.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Hey Camp, the Z trigger is still there and it it is only on the right side.
Here is a picture of it, also kind of gives you an idea of how thick it is.
gamecubeside.jpg

Dean
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on August 08, 2001 at 10:37 PM]

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Interesting that both Nintendo and MS went with the transparent wire insolation to give that braided look. Hmmm I wonder who copied who :)
Dean

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
X-Box,Dreamcast,Playstation,Gamecube......who cares???

The best controller EVER is....
(drumroll.......)

The Atari 2600 joystick!!!!!!!

wink.gif

------------------
"Don't make me angry....You wouldn't like me when I'm angry......"

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I don't like the DREAMCAST controller, its too fat and bulky.
The XBOX controller seems to have been designed after the DC controller, so naturally, I have my reservations about the XBOX controller as well.
I really like the SONY PlayStaion console controllers though.
The GAMECUBE controller doesn't look like a comfortable controller either.
------------------
LuvLBX

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Nintendo has made few changes to the GCN controller since last Spacworld, which was before MS showed any pictures of the XB, letalone the controller. The only change to the GCN controller is the B Button shape (went from bean to pea shaped) and I think the Z-Button placement has been redecided apon a few times, but stayed near the right shoulder. Everything I have read about the controller has been good, but the X-Box controller has been mixed. 2 people I know didn't like the controller's size, and I have read in magazines about how hard it is having 6 buttons squished together. I also heard it can get heavy when you put in memory cards or other devices, which is not a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks