-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dungeons & Dragons (cartoon). Finally!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#21 of 38 David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted December 07 2006 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon F.
What are the chances of BCI going after the old Marvel cartoons? They seem to be in limbo.

They are among the many shows that I routinely beg our acquisitions guys about.

I'm not sure of the availablity of them - or what any outstanding legal or ownership issues might be. But we look into a lot of stuff. It just depends on if it's available, if it's affordable, and if we think we have a shot to make some money off of it.

#22 of 38 Jon F.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted December 07 2006 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Levine
They are among the many shows that I routinely beg our acquisitions guys about...It just depends on if it's available...

Glad to hear it. If you ever find out what's going on with the rights to the Marvel cartoons, please let me know. With all of the Marvel movies that have been coming out, the best time to release the DVDs of the old cartoons is about to pass. Many of the fans would love to know what is going on.

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT WORK on the D&D DVDs. You guys always impress.

#23 of 38 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,969 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted December 07 2006 - 11:24 AM

Aw, hell yeah...been looking forward to this one for a long time, and the packaging (the classic '80s "TSR Red Box" that I grew up playing) is awesome. Also notable for being one of Michael Reaves's early series gigs.

Warduke pVVnz j00.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#24 of 38 coryE

coryE

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted December 08 2006 - 08:53 AM

Any canadians having luck finding this in stores?

I've looked here in Belleville at Walmart, Futureshop, Music World, Sams and Zellers.

No where to be found.

Would prefer to buy it in store instead of online, but it's looking grim.

A few shows have been hard to find here, like riptide season 1 from VEI, nowhere to be found.

Frustrating to be wanting to buy a product and no one is selling it.

Cheers

Cory

#25 of 38 Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted December 10 2006 - 04:52 AM

Here's some info about changed music directly from Andy Mangels. I can't say I would've noticed this anyways, but here's the info for those that are curious:

--Previous Message--
: I am curious as to whose idea it was to change the music score in
: select episodes, Dragons graveyard and day of the dungeonmaster
: in particular.
First, please spell my name correctly, even if you're ranting at me. It's "Mangels."

Secondly, you may express your displeasure to Disney, who contractually mandated the new music, and paid for and recorded it. The contracts for the D&D release were held up for months due to this issue. BCI was presented with two options by Disney:

1 - NEVER release D&D on DVD at all
2 - release the DVD set with approximately 3 minutes total of newly-recorded music

It's my understanding through another fan that Robert Walsh has been in a seven-year legal battle over his music for this and other series. Perhaps this has something to do with Disney's decision. I don't know. Disney wouldn't tell us.

BCI spent a lot of time and money to put a huge amount of special features on this DVD set, and to provide as much rare and altered footage as they could. So far, the critical reaction has been that this may be the BEST animated series release ever put on DVD.

It's unfortunate that Disney put us in the situation contractually that the music had to be altered. Again, you may contact their legal department and "rant" to them all you'd like.

It's also unfortunate that this minor element would "ruin" your feelings for the entire set. If having digitally-restored episodes with huge extras and input from the show's creators is really not as good for you as your "20 + year old tapes," and I can trust you not to just go out and buy another set, I'll buy the DVD set back from you in exchange for your hardship.

Finally, it's even more unfortunate that if you HAVE "20 + year old tapes," that you didn't make them available to us when we put out the call (on this list and elsewhere) for tapes so that we could make this the best and most complete set we could.

Best,
Andy Mangels
www.andymangels.com
www.wonderwomanmuseum.com
Member, International Association of Media Tie-In Writers

Looks like the slightly altered music was the way to go.

BTW David I've been very happy with every release I've bought from BCI. It's been great rewatching some of these old shows with my 7-year old son (not to mention all the work put into the special features).
Keep up the good work!!!

#26 of 38 David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted December 10 2006 - 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe:C
BTW David I've been very happy with every release I've bought from BCI. It's been great rewatching some of these old shows with my 7-year old son (not to mention all the work put into the special features).
Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks Joe! I can't tell you how much fun it's been working on stuff that was such a huge part of my childhood. I think the fact that most of us from acquisitions through product development through design are in the target audience (mid 20s to mid 30s) and big fans of the properties has really been a big factor in the type of work we do.

#27 of 38 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted December 11 2006 - 04:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks Joe! I can't tell you how much fun it's been working on stuff that was such a huge part of my childhood. I think the fact that most of us from acquisitions through product development through design are in the target audience (mid 20s to mid 30s) and big fans of the properties has really been a big factor in the type of work we do.

I think that's why the BCI releases are so damn good - the people working on the sets really are fans of what they're releasing. I can't tell you guys how many times I've gotten calls from people at BCI and they are SO excited by a new property they've acquired (they sound like little kids on Christmas - "Look at my new toy!!!"). I wish every studio could be as excited about their products.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#28 of 38 Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted December 11 2006 - 04:52 AM

Similar to Joe:C, I have just started to watch this impressive set with my 7 year old daughter and we have enjoyed what we have seen so far.

Kudos to any and all that worked on this set! Very slick indeed and I can't wait to get to the rest of the episodes and the radio play of the finale.

Andy

#29 of 38 BradD

BradD

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted December 11 2006 - 10:44 AM

Quote:
...(I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am of this set!)

It's been a while since I've been to this board. Just did a search and found this thread. I can't even begin to tell you how stoked I am about this series set. I'm a little embarrassed about how excited I get over the release of sets like this. Guess I'll never grow up. Thank you so much for putting so much into this set.

#30 of 38 JasonRH

JasonRH

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted December 13 2006 - 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryE
Any canadians having luck finding this in stores?

I've looked here in Belleville at Walmart, Futureshop, Music World, Sams and Zellers.

No where to be found.

Would prefer to buy it in store instead of online, but it's looking grim.

A few shows have been hard to find here, like riptide season 1 from VEI, nowhere to be found.

Frustrating to be wanting to buy a product and no one is selling it.

Cheers

Cory

I found copies at my local Walmart (in Nova Scotia).

#31 of 38 coryE

coryE

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted December 13 2006 - 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRH
I found copies at my local Walmart (in Nova Scotia).

Got a copy yesterday at Walmart.

For some reason it came out here on the 12th instead of the 5th.

Thanks for responding though.

Cheers

Cory

#32 of 38 Adam.H

Adam.H

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted December 28 2006 - 06:05 AM

PM for you David Posted Image Thanks

#33 of 38 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 30 2006 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
Guys, just a heads up. I got mine last night from BB and it includes a plastic "figure" in a see-through box on top of the case. It's attached using ULTRA high quality spots of glue. I was very careful and still managed to tear off a bit of the red packaging. This stuff is far and away the strongest glue I've seen on a DVD case.

Me, too, dammit. I wonder if Brentwood would send out a new boxtop.

#34 of 38 JoSAN

JoSAN

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted March 01 2007 - 11:18 AM

#35 of 38 tjguitar85

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted March 01 2007 - 11:57 AM

I couldn't disagree with you more JoSAN. If BCI had access to the DC filmation shows, then maybe they'd actually get released.

I'm hoping that Disney licensing Dungeons & Dragons to BCI gives some hope that Disney might license Filmation's Tarzan to BCI.

Anyway, I've had more problem-free sets from BCI than ones with problems and the ones that aren't right are being taken care of by the great people at BCI. A little slow, but they obviously care about the people buying their product, unlike the mega-congomerates who just expect you to return a set to a store and hope you end up with a good one.

#36 of 38 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted March 03 2007 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
First of all, the transfers looked like they were copied straight off of a worn out video tape; they were blurry and jumpy and gave me eye-strain just trying watch.

Hmm they looked terrific to me. I couldn't have been happier how they turned out.

#37 of 38 Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted March 03 2007 - 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSAN
I bought the set for my wife and we were extremely disappointed in the lack of quality of the discs.

First of all, the transfers looked like they were copied straight off of a worn out video tape; they were blurry and jumpy and gave me eye-strain just trying watch. A far cry from the clean quality of the He-Man sets.

Secondly, four of the five discs were either scratched, smudged, or badly delaminated. The double-disc holders are some new type of hub system that involves sliding the disc under a tab on one side. Terrible idea.

We got a refund but after all the problems we had with the She-Ra Season 1 set from BCI (we exchanged discs SIX TIMES and STILL don't have a complete set that plays right), and now this quick 'n' cheap money-grabber, we've pretty much had it with BCI/InkandPaint for good.

I'm certainly glad this company can't touch any of the Shazam! shows, since they are owned by Warner Brothers and not Filmation.

I guess you didn't see the Thundercats sets WB put out. BCI by far does the best job with animated TV Shows on DVD releases of any company today with all the extras and quality of the transfers.

Paul.

#38 of 38 JoSAN

JoSAN

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted March 03 2007 - 12:43 PM

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow