Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Big Valley Season 2?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#41 of 62 OFFLINE   JeffWld

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted October 26 2006 - 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Alden
That's what I've been doing. At least I have them complete and great quality. If it comes out I'll buy it and give the discs to a friend. At 30 cents apiece for high quality, Japanese made Taiyo-Yuden discs, I think I can afford to be on the safe side.

Those of us with access to all of this Fox library material have moved on and started doing it ourselves. I'm not banking on the great Fox taking care of us.

#42 of 62 OFFLINE   Batmanfan66

Batmanfan66

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 01:56 AM

I for one will be buying this set when it arrives!! My very favorite western series..

Danny~

#43 of 62 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 02:26 AM

The Bottom Line is a Full season of BV is worth the $40 that it will be with discounts. I'm buying
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#44 of 62 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
Gord, while you're reading this thread, answer me why Fox has been so lax in opening its vaults for vintage shows!

It's not selling. They can make more money off a new show than an old show, so they're putting their resources where they can see the biggest return. From what I've heard we may not see any more NYPD Blue or Hill Street Blues due to poor sales of the sets. Classic TV is a harder sell because some people haven't heard of the shows, or if they've heard the title they may not know what it's about, and so they wouldn't buy it. I've discovered many, many interesting shows since starting the website, but I wouldn't have purchased them on my own.

With that said, I expect we'll see more classic shows released as the studios get used to earning less money on TV sets. The expected profits are lower now, which makes some of these shows more viable.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#45 of 62 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
It's not selling. They can make more money off a new show than an old show, so they're putting their resources where they can see the biggest return. From what I've heard we may not see any more NYPD Blue or Hill Street Blues due to poor sales of the sets. Classic TV is a harder sell because some people haven't heard of the shows, or if they've heard the title they may not know what it's about, and so they wouldn't buy it. I've discovered many, many interesting shows since starting the website, but I wouldn't have purchased them on my own.

With that said, I expect we'll see more classic shows released as the studios get used to earning less money on TV sets. The expected profits are lower now, which makes some of these shows more viable.

Gord

Not getting any more HSB's now that would really stink
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#46 of 62 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,477 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
The Bottom Line is a Full season of BV is worth the $40 that it will be with discounts. I'm buying

Agreed!
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#47 of 62 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
Classic TV is a harder sell because some people haven't heard of the shows, or if they've heard the title they may not know what it's about, and so they wouldn't buy it.

Like what shows haven't people heard of? Hill Street Blues? C'mon. I'm not buying it. In this day and age with 500 channels I find it hard to believe that popular shows from previous decades aren't known to viewers. If you were a kid in the 80s, as opposed to the 60s, you got to see Dennis the Menace, Donna Reed, Dobie Gillis, Patty Duke, My Three Sons, Route 66, I Spy, Make Room for Daddy, Ann Sothern, Private Secretary and more on Nick at Nite. CBN ran Bachelor Father, My Little Margie, Love That Bob, Wagon Train, Farmer's Daughter, Here Come the Brides, Bill Cosby Show and many more. I mean yeah, if you're like 15 now, then no, you weren't around. But leaving out the children, and by that I mean pretty much anyone under 30, you've had access to the same shows as us older folks.

#48 of 62 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 06:00 AM

Well, thanks for getting back to me, Gord. Fox could try to drum up interest in its vintage shows if they were to be released at discount prices or even lease the DVD rights to some of their older shows to independent companies like Anchor Bay, MPI and Image. Someday there should be a premium classic TV channel without commercials- kinda like Turner Classic Movies, but instead of films from the Warner/Turner vault, we'll see newly remastered, uncut episodes of classic shows without ads- the promise of 'TVLand' carried to the nth degree.

Some of the premium channels owned by Encore are already showing uncut shows along with films on their schedules. I believe Encore Westerns is showing newly-printed episodes of Alias Smith & Jones and The Big Valley along with feature films. If Fox were to do a premium channel that would exploit its TV show vault the way Fox Movie Channel uses its feature film vault, it would generate more interest in these shows and easily pave the way to more DVD releases.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#49 of 62 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 11:33 PM

Well if we all buy this dvd, we won't have to DVR things off Starz, because if it sells, they'll probably release the rest of the series. I think we're all in agreement here that we're gonna buy it; and I for one can't wait!

#50 of 62 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 04:09 AM

They are currently in the last season of Big Valley on Encore westerns. I for one am going to DVR the ones I don't have and buy the sets as they come out. This is a great show!!

#51 of 62 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted October 30 2006 - 05:57 AM

Curious as to how everyone's doing with this set...it looks I'll need to return the 2nd set for an exchange due to defects (intermittent artifacts, pixtels, etc). The 1st returned set had an ep with the "skips/freezes" sickness. I bought the set from Amazon so, no hassle in the exchange...free postage....outside the 30-day purchase time, no issue.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#52 of 62 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
Curious as to how everyone's doing with this set...it looks I'll need to return the 2nd set for an exchange due to defects (intermittent artifacts, pixtels, etc). The 1st returned set had an ep with the "skips/freezes" sickness. I bought the set from Amazon so, no hassle in the exchange...free postage....outside the 30-day purchase time, no issue.

Jeff, I had no issues with the set other than one early episode that froze. When I reloaded the DVD, it played fine and there were no other issues that I had with the set which has become, somewhat surprisingly, one of my favorite TV-on-DVD releases for 2006. I hadn't seen BV in ages, and the first season stories were consistently engaging.

#53 of 62 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted November 11 2006 - 12:43 AM

You can now pre-order this title on Amazon for 27.99. It lists a release date of January 30th, 2007.

Thought you all would like to know!

#54 of 62 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,135 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 06:30 AM

I saw the box art and that has to be an early version. Why is Heath (Lee Majors) pictured twice? Where is Jared (Richard Long)? I hope that this gets corrected.

#55 of 62 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 12:19 AM

At first glance, I thought the same thing, too. But look again, isn't that Richard Long in the front?
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#56 of 62 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 04:00 AM

No, it's Lee Majors in Jared Barkley's clothes. That's what you get when you photoshop and don't think about what you are doing.

And if you feel the need to photoshop, fine--there probably aren't enough suitable cast photos. But must one make it appear so obviously photoshopped? The Barkleys look like their situated a hundred feet above the eponymous "Valley".

I'm also perturbed about the price--the Amazon reviewers have nailed it.

#57 of 62 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted September 18 2009 - 03:48 AM

So I take it this show is DEAD on more releases? It isn't like there are a lot of seasons. But I was thinking Bonanza has a following behind it but 14 Seasons! When they get that entire series released we could all be dead.

I would very much like more Big Valley but half season usually kills a shows sales even more. The publis is a lot more intelligent with these studio practices then the think. Really sad.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#58 of 62 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,581 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 04:11 AM

Of the many shows I've collected and seen stalled/abandoned - and believe me they are numerous - I'd say this one is as dead as dead can be.  I see absolutely no evidence that Fox plans on picking this one back up anytime soon.  Heck, I have more hope for future releases of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER than I do for BIG VALLEY, and LITB has been sitting dead in the water for quite some time.  But I keep thinking that show is so iconic that it's got to pop back up at some point.  With BIG VALLEY though, I just don't trust Fox to do right by it so my hopes for future releases are really low.

Gary "just my opinion, I don't have any insider knowledge about the status of BV or LITB other than what I see - which unfortunately is nothing at the moment" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#59 of 62 OFFLINE   Greg2356

Greg2356

Second Unit

• 340 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary OS View Post  Heck, I have more hope for future releases of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER than I do for BIG VALLEY, and LITB has been sitting dead in the water for quite some time.  But I keep thinking that show is so iconic that it's got to pop back up at some point.  With BIG VALLEY though, I just don't trust Fox to do right by it so my hopes for future releases are really low.

Gary, I do certainly believe that "Leave It To Beaver" will be released at some point because like you say it is "So Iconic!!!! I can't see how it 'Couldn't Be Released' in it's 'Entirety' in the near future. I know that Jerry Mathers is going to be on Oprah soon among other guests as well, since I happened to walk in on a Promo for the show, but unfortunately I didn't see the whole thing. So I am not sure if it is today or next week! Sorry about that!!!! If I find out, I'll post again.

Update: Jerry Mathers is introduced by Oprah Winfrey on Monday's September 21, 2009 Oprah Show. It is an episode where Oprah goes back in time to the 1960's.

#60 of 62 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 05:32 AM

Well, I'm hoping for an outfit like Shout! Factory to take it over to complete the run.  I've heard that a movie remake of the Barkley saga is planned, so hopefully Fox or another company will pick up the DVD releases.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow