Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A lot of new titles from UK

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike*Z

Mike*Z

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted September 07 2006 - 04:51 AM

A lot of new titles from UK
http://play.com/DVD/...RegionHome.html
http://play.com/DVD/...ComingSoon.html

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted September 07 2006 - 06:37 AM

Gosh, will GoNY be as ugly as the SD disc? :-@ Some new releases (new movies), at least. I say; Better than nothing (like this week!!!).
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Keith E

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted September 07 2006 - 08:05 AM

Since these are imports are they too going to have forced subtitles? There are a few titles in this list I wouldn't mind checking out.

#4 of 15 ONLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,770 posts

Posted September 07 2006 - 01:06 PM

These discs are from the English-speaking UK, there's no reason for them to have forced subtitles. Vincent

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 03:59 PM

The only issue now is finding a region free hd-dvd player.... Looks like a few Disney and New Line titles there... Dugger

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 04:00 PM

double post

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 12:16 AM

HD DVD currently has no region coding scheme whatsoever implemented (although I've heard one is being planned for the future). The titles linked to in this thread will play in all HD DVD players currently available in North America.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,486 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 02:26 AM

A number of the titles being released in the UK are ether allready released here or going to be by december. There was only one title that is not on the release schedule here that I want. (The Crow) Maybe I might pickup that title once there is some more information available on it. Like what surround formats are available on the disc and if its a VC-1 encoded disc. And maybe I might look for a review to check if the quality of the disc is good or bad.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (256 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 06:08 AM

Indeed. We, the English, invented the language you know. That's why they call it... English! ;-) John

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 06:13 AM

This is a fairly large concern of mine. What if somebody such as myself was to import discs from the US to the UK. They'd play now - sure. But what if some clever sod decides to engage region coding in 12 months time? Or I upgrade my player in 2-3 years time to a machine that IS region coded? Will that affect the imported discs I'd already bought? Or would they continue to play fine? This would affect users in the US who import films from the UK too. I'm guessing it *shouldn't* have an effect and, even if they do, I'm sure region-hacking won't be too far away. But I wouldn't put anything past these people... John

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 07:12 AM

I'm just speculating, but since the current software titles themselves do not have any region coding, any such region-free software you imported from the US or elsewhere should continue to play even though a later-model player you bought had implemented region coding in the firmware.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 07:49 AM

That's what I hoped. But here's another scenario. What might happen if you try and play a future region-coded disc on an existing un-regionalised player? Is the player likely to mis-read the coding on the disc as an incompatable region and refuse to play it? I'm just speculating here you understand... John

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,486 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 10:19 AM

I will have no problem getting HD-DVD's form other regions then as long as I can player them on my player. Its only a matter of if its a title that I can not currently purchase here and if its a version that includes DTS-HD or Dolby True HD when a version here in the US does not include them.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (256 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 09:33 PM

I wish I had a definitive answer to this question. Currently, HD DVD is the format that would better suit my purposes due to the absence of region coding, but I hesitate buying into it since the region-free future is uncertain.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 08:04 PM

Resurrecting this thread to provide a link to a thread over at AV Forums where a podcast featuring an interview with a Toshiba representative is being discussed. I'm downloading this podcast and haven't listened to it yet, but reportedly Toshiba is saying that the first-generation European players, at least, will not be upgradable to support region coding via firmware updates.