-

Photo
- - - - -

Lethal Weapon (Blu-ray) Review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Jeff(R)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 05:48 PM

Lethal Weapon (Blu-ray)

Reviewed by Peter M. Bracke

Quote:
"I would say the Blu-ray and the HD DVD are exact replicas of each other. I highly suspect that any differences one might find noticeable are entirely hardware-specific, and not really inherent in the software..."

"However, just as with the HD DVD release of 'Lethal Weapon,' the Blu-ray version does not hit a home run either. 'Lethal Weapon' is twenty years old, and there remains deficiencies with the source material, though nothing too severe. Overall, it's a clean print, with no major blemishes or anomalies to mar the picture...."

"That said, this is still a good-looking presentation of a film almost two decades old. Blacks are rock solid, and contrast quite good. The image does pop quite often, especially some of the night scenes, which can look nearly three-dimensional."
http://bluray.highde...thalweapon.html

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,317 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 03:43 AM

I was curious if there was an official HTF review of this BD. I looked through all 655 archived reviews!

I saw this BD and the Lethal Weapon 2 BD at Costco for $9.99 each. I like the movies enough to want to double dip to BD, but I was curious what others thought of the disc here. From the above posting, it sounds like a decent disc. And at $9.99, not a bad price!

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 04:04 AM

The AV quality is fine.  I purchased both films with reservations since the BD editions fail to include all of the deleted scenes previously included on the director's cut DVDs.  Since I love these films, I was willing to purchase these anyway.  For $9.99 each, this is still a good buy for the theatrical cuts in HD.
My best guess is that we will see new director's cut editions on BD within the next 18 months as we are seeing with Goodfellas and other catalog titles.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 04:23 AM

I made the mistake of picking up Lethal Weapon 2 when it was on sale at Best Buy. I flipped through it to check out the quality and it's bad. The picture would look fine if it wasn't for the jagged edges all over the picture. Close ups seem fine, but anything that's not right up front is covered in these jagged edges. I won't even be able to sit down and watch the whole movie. I put it up on Ebay a couple of hours after I purchased it.
     I think the first movie looks just fine though. I'm sure that a new transfer sometime in the future will better it, but it's fine. And 2 would be fine if not for the jaggies.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,317 posts

Posted February 12 2010 - 04:26 AM

Thanks Timothy! So I was wondering if there might be a DC!

And Jason, thanks for chiming in. Maybe I'll just wait then. Or get the first movie only.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 14 2010 - 06:25 PM

Does Lethal Weapon 1 include the "new" scene where Riggs stops the school shooter?

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted February 15 2010 - 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B 

Does Lethal Weapon 1 include the "new" scene where Riggs stops the school shooter?

That scene is conspicuously absent from the deleted scenes on the BD.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 15 2010 - 01:21 PM

At one point I though Bill at the Digital Bits said WB was working on a box set of these.  Surprised we haven't seen it yet.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   CynthiaF200

CynthiaF200

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

At one point I though Bill at the Digital Bits said WB was working on a box set of these.  Surprised we haven't seen it yet.

Who the hell is Bill?

Why doesn't WB just release a boxset with all four movies with the Theatrical and Director's Cuts for 1-3? Seamless branching obviously but WB's track record for re-releases are downright pitiful.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,317 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 08:32 AM

Bill Hunt owns and runs the website, The Digital Bits. He reports on news on DVD and Blu ray releases.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   CynthiaF200

CynthiaF200

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 16 2010 - 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

Bill Hunt owns and runs the website, The Digital Bits. He reports on news on DVD and Blu ray releases.
Oh I've never heard about him before.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted February 17 2010 - 05:00 AM

I assume the lack of a BD for the third film means that there's a forthcoming boxset for all four films? I must have gone to five Best Buys before I realized there isn't one!

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 17 2010 - 06:46 AM

Quote:
I assume the lack of a BD for the third film means that there's a forthcoming boxset for all four films? I must have gone to five Best Buys before I realized there isn't one!

Yes, but no release date has been announced, so no guarantees that it will make it out this year.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,317 posts

Posted July 14 2010 - 08:59 AM

Since Mel Gibson is making the news recently for his personal troubles, it made me wonder if the studio is reconsidering a BD box set for the Lethal Weapon series.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 14 2010 - 10:39 AM

I think Mel and his movies are going to be out of the public spotlight for a while.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,317 posts

Posted July 14 2010 - 10:52 AM

I kinda thought the same thing Travis.

But kinda unfair to Donner and the cast if they decide to withhold it. But I can see as a business venture, what studio would invest in a release where the star is probably losing some fans right now. So a BD release probably would not be a good investment!