-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Borders 30% off 1 item through 9/8...and beyond?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
243 replies to this topic

#41 of 244 Joe-Frietze

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted November 26 2006 - 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Dave: Signing up is easy. And it just allows them to track your purchases. The upside is...after you spend so much $$$ they give you a "personal shopping day" in which you can take another 10% off all your purchases for an entire day....and it IS allowed to be used on sale items and with coupons. No problems!

Not only that, but 5% of your purchases from January through (October I think) are put into a Holiday fund. We just used ours yesterday and it came to $53.xx, so that gives you an idea of how much we spend at Borders each year. If only my wife had waited for next weekend and we would have had another shopping day for an extra 10% off on top of the 30% off coupon I used on the Evil Dead I & II Books of the Dead collection.

#42 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,994 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 26 2006 - 06:40 AM

Thanks, Joe! I forgot about the holiday fund. I thought my family spent a lot at Borders! I think we've only got a holiday fund balance of about $12 or $15. I'm probably just using too many 30% coupons! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#43 of 244 Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 02:53 AM

Quote:
I'm probably just using too many 30% coupons! Posted Image

Same here. My holiday fund is $16.16

I've yet to use my personal shopping day (10% Off). Today I plan to print out a 30% Off coupon, use my personal shopping day and my holiday fund savings on the 14-Disc Superman: Ultimate Collection. ($99.99 - 40% - $16.16 = 43.83). After tax, I'll have the Superman set for $46.90!

#44 of 244 Joe-Frietze

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 03:13 AM

Yeah, Mike, it became like a challenge. Every time we went, we ended up spending enough to get another shopping day, and then every time we used the shopping day, we'd spend enough to earn another one. Vicious cycle. Believe me, I used every 30% coupon I could once it was pointed out, and before that it was the occasional coupons you would get at check out (25% off, Buy 2 get 1 free, etc.). And we would cut each other off sometimes saying, "Hey save that for next month to earn our next shopping day."

But, as my wife is fond of saying, there are worse habits than books, comics, and home theater, right?

Rhoq - just FYI, I don't think it will be exactly 40% off. In my experience, they have taken the 30% of the individual item, and then taken 10% off the order total. So it would be more like $99.99 - 30% = $69.99 - 10% = $62.99 - $16.16 = $46.83 + tax.

Later,
-Joe

#45 of 244 Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Frietze
Rhoq - just FYI, I don't think it will be exactly 40% off. In my experience, they have taken the 30% of the individual item, and then taken 10% off the order total. So it would be more like $99.99 - 30% = $69.99 - 10% = $62.99 - $16.16 = $46.83 + tax.

Gotcha, even still - after tax (7%) it will only be $50.11

#46 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,994 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 28 2006 - 04:38 AM

12-4-2006!

Quote:
Yeah, Mike, it became like a challenge. Every time we went, we ended up spending enough to get another shopping day, and then every time we used the shopping day, we'd spend enough to earn another one. Vicious cycle. Believe me, I used every 30% coupon I could once it was pointed out, and before that it was the occasional coupons you would get at check out (25% off, Buy 2 get 1 free, etc.). And we would cut each other off sometimes saying, "Hey save that for next month to earn our next shopping day."

But, as my wife is fond of saying, there are worse habits than books, comics, and home theater, right?

I sometimes think about the size of my collection...do the math (even though I am a HUGE bargain shopper and buy most things on a major discount or used) and wonder, what am I doing? I also have space issues. And, with a backlog of books-to-read and titles-to-watch and time-to-read/watch-them at a premium, I have convinced myself to scale back my purchases until that is under control. Fortunately, I have a wonderful wife who understands all the time I devote to her and the kids and actually helps me rationalize about how much I would be spending if we engaged in pursuing other forms of entertainment (bars, gambling, concerts, etc).

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#47 of 244 Joe-Frietze

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 06:32 AM

Well, we have no kids to take up any of our time and attention (so I'm not sure if that makes our expenditures more or less impressive - it's only shopping for two people, but there's more disposable income w/ no child care expenses), so we get to spend a little more time in these pursuits, but year, I've got season sets and individual discs from last X-Mas that I still haven't watched, not to mentions books/comics I haven't opened. But I have been tearing through several books this year, so that's something.

It's just that I find so many great bargains, it's painful to NOT buy them, because I know SOMEDAY I'll get to watch/read/play them. Retirement, I guess. Posted Image

#48 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,994 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 28 2006 - 08:02 AM

Quote:
Retirement, I guess. Posted Image

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Posted Image

Kids = Expensive

#49 of 244 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,037 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 05 2006 - 10:45 AM

12/11
facebook.com/whotony

#50 of 244 Chris Minogue

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted December 06 2006 - 07:17 PM

Here is a coupon for 40% one DVD box set THIS FRIDAY (12/8) ONLY.

http://f.chtah.com/i...ndvd40_1207.htm

I went through my wishlist at bordersstores.com and couldn't find any real bargains due to high list prices... but I am sure there are good deals out there for the finding.

For instance, you could get the Superman Ultimate set for $60. Not too bad, I suppose.

#51 of 244 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,647 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 08 2006 - 11:51 AM

Thanks, Chris! Posted Image

#52 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,994 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 08 2006 - 02:41 PM

12-14-2006

#53 of 244 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted December 09 2006 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
I just printed this out and it says it is valid through 12/15/06.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#54 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,994 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 09 2006 - 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty M
I just printed this out and it says it is valid through 12/15/06.

And that, Marty, is why we keep bumping the thread on this VERY nice coupon!

[maxwell smart]Would you believe....?![/maxwell smart] 12-16-06 Posted Image

#55 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,994 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 10 2006 - 03:46 PM

Gave these a workout tonight. Did some nice holiday shopping.

#56 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,994 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 11 2006 - 02:50 PM

HERE'S A COUPON for 40% off one book when you spend $20 or more. BUT...it is valid Tuesday, December 12th ONLY!

=======================

Oh, and 12-17-2006! Posted Image

#57 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,994 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 17 2006 - 09:50 AM

12-23-2006! Posted Image

Been using these a lot for shopping lately. Finally figured I should do a permanent bookmark on my Firefox Bookmark Toolbar! Posted Image It's just right there whenever I need it! Posted Image

#58 of 244 Clay_E

Clay_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 06:41 AM

Looks like this coupon is finallly dead! It's now saying it expires 9/30/06...Posted Image
"Half of the time we're gone and we don't know where."

#59 of 244 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,994 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 02 2007 - 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_E
Looks like this coupon is finally dead! It's now saying it expires 9/30/06...Posted Image

[Luke Skywalker]Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo![/Luke Skywalker]

Too bad! I certainly got my money's worth out of it though.

RIP, coupon! Posted Image

#60 of 244 Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 07:17 AM

Quote:
Too bad! I certainly got my money's worth out of it though.

Same here. I had read a month or two ago that Border's was losing a lot of money and these 30% off coupons were supposedly partly to blame. Hopefully, us "Borders Rewards" members will still get the coupons in their e-mail.

Back to Bargains and Deals

Forum Nav Content I Follow