What's new

PS3 delayed until March 2007 in Europe; only 500k units total in US/Japan at launch (1 Viewer)

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
The article must have been edited since you posted it, since this is all it says -

No mention of 500,000 that I could see, though it's dissapointing we'll have to wait until March over here to see the PS3.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Assuming that it is the lack of blue laser pickups that will cause the shortage of PS3 units at launch, will not that shortage also continue to limit the number of HD-DVD units?

I may be mistaken, but I thought that was a component common to both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
This for certain will effect BD stand alone players. Sony will be hoarding all diodes for the console for at least a year.

Not sure if HD-DVD uses the same diode.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
On AVS, I've seen people spinning this as being a good thing for BR. Amazing.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

I have not picked a side of the format war to get on but I can't see this as being good for Sony in any way. I myself have always been a huge PS1&2 fan but last year went out and bought a 360 for my son at Christmas. I decided that I would probably buy a PS3 when they came out in May just because I loved the PS system so much. Several guys I worked with held out hope for the PS3 as well.

Now since all of the delays and back peddling I am really happy that my son wanted that 360. I have been playing it for 9 months now and am happy I bought it. I am not a fan boy and have had to send my back for repair which was a pain in the butt. However I believe that the U.S will be lucky to see 400,000 units and that it will be another 6 -7 months before they have them on store shelves.

Once again my love for the system had to do with the game playing ability and I did not care about Blu Ray. I think they are hurting true gamers and that this set back will hurt them dramatically.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
How about the news that Sony is dropping the HDMI cable from the launch box?

Thrown another $50 on the launch price at BB or CC.

I'd gloat further, but the prices on 2nd gen HD-DVD units also seem to have headed north to $800-land.

I want 1080p upconversion and the option for future HD playback, but that's a bit much with a format war raging.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

That just seems ass backwards to me. They aren't going to gain any new adherents by raising prices. This format war is really very frustrating.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Edit: Decided to completely change my post... :D

How mad are developers going to be?? If I was EA and spent millions developing for this system and now only have the potential of selling 500,000 units maximum I would be furious. Assuming there are 10 launch titles and most people by 2 then sales for those games are going to be dismall. Not to mention that any other developer looking to make a game for the system may hold off or attempt to remove exclusivity so that they can sell it on another system. This is a major win for Microsoft and Nintendo.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
They never said it was included in the first place, and not many actually expected them to include it. Would have been a nice surprise for sure, but hardly a broken promise. However, they better have component cables, or the breakout box (however that works) included.

I'm surprised at this announcement. Not about Europe, but the 500k NA and JP for launch. Not much different than Microsoft's 360 launch numbers and we all saw how that went. Going to suck for a lot of people this holiday season.

As for Blu-ray, doesn't hurt them that much. Certainly doesn't help in the short run, but as long as Sony keeps the supply coming at a steady pace the number of BD players in homes will grow at a rate that HD-DVD can not match. Then it is a just a numbers game of what percentage of PS3 owners they can get to buy BD movies. It won't take that much of a percentage to surpass HD-DVD. Just as long as Sony doesn't muck up the launch of the PS3 anymore than they already have, as well as getting out some good BD titles.

I personally won't even touch the format until BD-50 is out and shows us why we've been waiting.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sony could include one with each PS3 for pennies. So why don't they?

No idea. But the fact that they don't makes little difference to me. Most video products I've bought (VCRs, DVD players, etc) didn't come with all the cables needed either.

Pete T C

Second Unit

I think you have to take into account the kids who are fans of the PS3 videogame console. If BD fails, PS3 could be construed at least a partial failure since PS3 has been positioned with BD as a critical part of it. Therefore, these kids who don't even own an HDTV will spin everything they can in Sony's favor because they don't want their precious PS3 console to be beaten out by XBOX 360/Wii. And yes, that includes creating accounts on an AV forum and pretending that they have a hidef setup.

Real Name
Jeff Durboow

Even though they probably would be only pennies...MY guess is many people who buy or get the ps3 as a gift will wonder "What the hell is this WIRE for?" :D

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Wow, you guys really have no shame, do you? Apparently, being a Blu-ray fan means you're some kid faking an account on an internet forum and pretending to have HD. First, you guys tell us that the PS3 is meaningless for Blu-ray, although everytime something bad happens, you crow about it. Then you say that the people who buy it are kids who don't care about HD (despite a large portion, if not a majority of gamers, are in the 18-35 age range) . Now you're telling us that they're so hyped about the PS3 that they're flooding AV forums en masse to talk up Blu-ray? I think that you'd find that to be untrue both here and elsewhere, as most gamers who are interested in the PS3 seem to be kinda pissed that the system is delayed for what looks to them to be a drive for movies. But don't let that stop you from stooping to insulting people over it.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

I have not chosen a format to go with yet but for gaming the 360 came with the correct cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks