-

Photo
- - - - -

King Kong on HD-DVD Nov 14th!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 03:22 AM

DVDActive.com just posted the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDActive.com
Universal Home Video has announced the first November wave of HD DVD releases. Arriving from the 14th November will be King Kong ($39.98) starring Naomi Watts and Jack Black, The Hulk ($29.98) with Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly, and Waterworld ($29.98) starring Kevin Costner. Each will carry a high definition anamorphic widescreen transfer, along with English, French and Spanish Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras should be identical to the discs already on the market. The runtime for King Kong confirms that it will be the theatrical cut of the film, and not the new extended edition. Stay tuned for art.

Finally a big event title hits the high def format!!
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,980 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted September 05 2006 - 03:28 AM

$40?

Kong will sell me a player, but that's a steep price for software.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,201 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 03:32 AM

The high MSRP indicates that Kong will probably be a combo disc, which doesn't bode well if the HD side is only 15GB. Let's hope it's a 30GB.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   John Troutman

John Troutman

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 03:39 AM

The high MSRP might also indicate a two-disc release, MI-3 style, which would make sense given the extreme length of the film. Disc one for the movie, disc two for the buttload of extras.

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,661 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:20 AM

It will probably be on Amazon for around $27 or so. I noticed that on some other combos or titles that listed for $39.98. Still, that's pretty high.

I'm guessing KK will look rather spectacular on HD-DVD. Posted Image Can you imagine the Kong-VRex fight in 1080p and Dolby Digital Plus...Posted Image

Neighbors will be calling the police on this one. Posted Image

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:29 AM

You'd think for a flagship title like this, they'd throw in at least Dolby TrueHD (since it sounds like DD+ is roughly equal to regular DD). Nor is it the Extended Edition, which doesn't bode well for the LOTR EEs. One or the other would have been nice, but to have neither when there will already be other titles coming out with both extended cuts and lossless audio sounds like they're aiming for a re-release. And it's possible that it's a combo disc? They better hope the name is enough to make it the killer title everybody says it will be.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#7 of 40 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:39 AM

The studios consider any film released on video within the first 12 months of it's theatrical run a new title, thus, it's priced higher than a catalogue title like Waterworld and The Hulk. It's just another way for them to recoup some production costs still on their books that are associated from making the film.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,661 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:39 AM

If it were up to me....and it's not, if it's indeed a combo disc-I would have the theatrical edition on one side, and the extended version on the other. But that's just me.

And, so far, Universal, while exclusively in the HD-DVD camp, has not released any titles with Dolby TrueHD yet.

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:44 AM

There's no way it's a combo disc with the HD side being 15GB.

The movie runs too long and there's too much going in for it to fit comfortably on a 15GB side.

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Jesper

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted September 05 2006 - 06:16 AM

It might be the first "30/9" combo disc...
Jesper Nielsen

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
You'd think for a flagship title like this, they'd throw in at least Dolby TrueHD (since it sounds like DD+ is roughly equal to regular DD). Nor is it the Extended Edition, which doesn't bode well for the LOTR EEs. One or the other would have been nice, but to have neither when there will already be other titles coming out with both extended cuts and lossless audio sounds like they're aiming for a re-release. And it's possible that it's a combo disc? They better hope the name is enough to make it the killer title everybody says it will be.
KK 1st DD?

What I dislike about this is it breaks HD DVD's string of delivering the extended version!
Bad break!

Quote:
King Kong on HD-DVD Nov 14th!
That's no fun!
What are people going to complain about now?
Oh, yeah!
V, Batman, Harry...
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,855 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 06:50 AM

Really looking forward to this one. Don't care whether it's a combo as long as it looks and sounds good.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 06:57 AM

Quote:

After going through the same thing with Laserdisc and DVD I'm already expecting this patern. The Extended version of Kong with Dolby TrueHD will be released later just as I'm sure we will get the theatrical LOTR 1st and then the EE's later.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 07:22 AM

Quote:
...sounds like they're aiming for a re-release.

A re-release from Universal? Never! Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,201 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Troutman
The high MSRP might also indicate a two-disc release, MI-3 style, which would make sense given the extreme length of the film. Disc one for the movie, disc two for the buttload of extras.
You're probably correct, especially considering the $29.98 pre-order price that's now posted on Universal Home Video's site for it:

http://homevideo.uni....?childId=36572

Apparently there's some confusion out there regarding MSRP on these titles.

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,201 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
The studios consider any film released on video within the first 12 months of it's theatrical run a new title, thus, it's priced higher than a catalogue title like Waterworld and The Hulk. It's just another way for them to recoup some production costs still on their books that are associated from making the film.
Does this still hold true when the film has already been released on SD DVD? I wonder. I can see them charging a premium for Kong because it's a HD-DVD 2 disc set, but the SD DVD has been out for MONTHS. The consumer isn't gonna buy that "new title" stuff for a film that's been available for twenty bucks down at the corner drugstore since March. I think any studio would have a hard time playing that card to justify higher pricing for a HD release.

#17 of 40 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 05 2006 - 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pippel
Does this still hold true when the film has already been released on SD DVD? I wonder. I can see them charging a premium for Kong because it's a HD-DVD 2 disc set, but the SD DVD has been out for MONTHS. The consumer isn't gonna buy that "new title" stuff for a film that's been available for twenty bucks down at the corner drugstore since March. I think any studio would have a hard time playing that card to justify higher pricing for a HD release.
The beancounters will squeeze blood out of a turnip and just because it was already released on DVD, wouldn't prevent them from doing so. Also, this will be first of HD/BRD releases for this title. DD City here we come.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 10:20 AM

So, Fox supposedly does 24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio for a title like Behind Enemy Lines and King Kong gets a DD+ track that may not sound any better than a 640 kilobits/sec DD track?

According to released specs. even John Carpenter's The Thing, also from Universal, is getting a TrueHD lossless track!

Universal is weird.

Dan

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Shawn.F

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 10:21 AM

I think Universal dropped the TruHD track on "The Thing". According to HD DVD Format Blog.com, the following titles had the TruHD audio track listing removed by Universal:

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
12 Monkeys
Out of Sight
The Thing

Now, of course, had Toshiba not updated their players with TruHD 5.1 via the latest firmware, each and every title here, including King Kong, would have TruHD.

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 10:38 AM

Then I still stand by my last statement: Universal is weird!

Posted Image

Dan

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow