Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: LOST - Seaon Two - Unquestionably Recommended

DVD Reviews TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 of 66 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 04 2006 - 03:18 PM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 66 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted September 04 2006 - 03:32 PM

Excellent review! David...I am assuming this set uses the "overlapping" disc trays that the first season had???

#3 of 66 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 04 2006 - 03:34 PM

Yes... I'll add that to the review (good question).

#4 of 66 ONLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 04 2006 - 05:51 PM

Excellent review. Do I have your permission to link this to my Lost website???

all-banner.jpg

#5 of 66 OFFLINE   Joe Reinwald

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 12:09 AM

There was never a doubt in my mind that I would be owning this. In fact, I'm heading to the local b&m after work this morning to pick it up. You review has made me more eager to catch up before the new season starts up.

#6 of 66 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 12:13 AM

You can always link to any web url (not just at HTF) with no problem. If you want to quote text you just need to make sure to mention the author and also provide a url link so folks can see the original/complete review if they so choose.

On word of caution... after reviews at HTF get archived the url changes. So bear this in mind if you link... once the review falls off the active board (usually after a month or so) you'll just want to double check to update the url to reflect the new url pointing to the archived thread (and people can still post there just as before).

glad you like the review!

dave Posted Image

#7 of 66 OFFLINE   Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 01:17 AM

Glad to hear the image quality is good in this season set as well. I thought the first season looked spectacular, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good and "hi-def" it looked on the 720p projector. I'd thought about waiting on buying this season until we heard about what possible hi-def optical format releases we may see for this show - but can't pass it up I'm afraid since I love this show to death - and the general quality of the transfers doesn't make me feel as if I'm missing a whole lot since I have seen some of the hi-def broadcasts to compare (though admittedly, not an A-B comparison). The box art does look pretty horrendous though, if what's pictured is the actual box art. The first season box looks rather nice and classy - this however, looks just garish and like something some ten year old would throw together in photoshop.

#8 of 66 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,224 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 05 2006 - 01:21 AM

Good review! I'll be going out in about 20 minutes to pick up my copy. Posted Image

For those interested, Best Buy has a bonus disc (with the third recap show from last year and some featurettes).

#9 of 66 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,986 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 05 2006 - 01:45 AM

Excellent. I have to wait until tonight to actually get my set, but I'll be there regardless. I agree with Sean about the box, though. Ever since the art was released, I kept hoping it would change. The cast looks horribly photoshopped and the rust color...I'm not sure about it. Really, though, they could have put this in a paper bag and I would have picked it up.

#10 of 66 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 02:07 AM

Here's the cover art...

Posted Image

#11 of 66 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,293 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 03:15 AM

David, did you watch this season on TV? I'm curious about 'The Extended Experience' tagline. Is there actually stuff in the episodes that wasn't included in the broadcasts?
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#12 of 66 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,986 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 05 2006 - 03:21 AM

I'll wait for confirmation from David, but I'm guessing "Extended Experience" refers to the extras having lots of deleted stuff. They tagged Desperate Housewives with something similar...Jucier Edition, or something...

#13 of 66 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 03:28 AM

I think the "Extended Experience" is sort of a reference to the online "world" that has been created for this TV show, but as Jason says, basically about the extras on the disc. The eps themselves aren't extended.

#14 of 66 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 03:51 AM

I think that's correct. The run-times seemed identical to the aired show and I didn't notice anything "new" in the shows themselves.

By the way,

in that Fire and Rain making-of doc on the bonus disc, they talk about how first LOST gets edited in what they call a "director's cut" which then gets taken by another team of editors for finally trimming to fit into the TV time-slot. They really made it sound like the considerations for the additiona trimming were all about necessities of fitting into the TV schedule and not artistic in nature.

Are you guys with me that DVD would be a perfect opportunity to see this show in its original, full-length "director's cut" version prior to TV editing?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 of 66 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:00 AM

Though in a sense, some of them were already "extended" when they first aired as their running time exceeded the ~42 minute standard. Posted Image

#16 of 66 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,986 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:03 AM

If they included both cuts, yes. Posted Image Because, obviously, what is aired is the official canon version of the show.

However, I don't think this is anything new since there are multiple references to this "director's cut" in the Deep Space Nine Companion. David Carson tells of a very long opening sequence in OPS in "Emissary"; the effects guys tell of more stuff that was cut in editing in "Way of the Warrior"; the director of "The Circle" (forget who it was) had the meeting in Kira's quarters filmed in one take...then added coverage.

#17 of 66 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:10 AM

Absolutely. It'd be great to see longer versions. I am glad to hear that the picture quality is on par with Season 1. I don't have the hi-tech equipment that many of you have, but I found the PQ on Season 1 to be absolutely stunning. It was one of the few shows I have watched that truly feels like a motion picture.

#18 of 66 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 04:33 AM

Buena Vista certainly made a mistake with the ads for this and the 2nd season of Desperate Housewives. Both boxes depicted in ads all over the country and on all of the online stores shows the "concept" art for each release. With the horrible font used for "Extended Experience" and "Extra Juicy Edition." The actual boxes and revised art released look much more professional... but somewhere down the line someone forgot to include the revised art for the press part of the releases... cause EVERY store weekly saver has the old art, and at Barnes & Noble has this HUGE display on their door for Desperate Housewives, with this ugly old cover art. oops.

#19 of 66 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,592 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 05:29 AM

Woohoo! Can't wait to revisit this before Season 3 starts.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#20 of 66 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 05:44 AM

It's probably fairly standard. I've heard it referred to in audio commentaries on Stargate SG-1 as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users