What's new

Is CC lying when qouting $500 for a Sony LCoS lamp replacement? (1 Viewer)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Yesterday, a person at my local CC (circuit city) was buying a 50" Sony LCoS. The sales person was saying that the lamp replacement will cost $500, and this was the reason to purchase the extended warranty. I don't know about Sony's lamps being so expensive, but lots of people here has said that, say, the Samsung DLP lamp for the 42" costs around $200 or so.

So was the CC sales rep bulling the customer to make a pitch for the extended warranty? What do you think? I'd appreciate any comments here, for I am planning to buy either a DLP or an LCD (which hopefully does not require lamp replacement).

Btw, the same sales person was quoting that such a lamp would last only a year. I usually think it would last longer, perhaps two years. I do doubt that these lamps last more than 2 years. So again, I'd appreciate any comment.

Thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
lamps are expensive, depends on the lamp they're using. Some a lot more expensive than others.

You will want to be very particular about understanding any extended warranties and what kind of lamp coverage they provide to make sure you're not being ripped off there.

Lamp life also can vary.

Be glad you're not using the sony 004 which has a $3,000 bulb. ;)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Chris

This sales person was saying that CC will replace the lamp for the span of the 4 year extended warranty. He also mentioned that CC tech person will come to your house to replace the lamp or any other problem that the set may have. I don't know the details of the warranty since I wasn't buying. I just came from Japan, and I am totally broke; thus, I cannot buy a new TV until mid 2007 at the earliest.

Thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You will want to read the extended warranty contract. I am not familiar at all with what the CC ones are like, but it is not unheard of for sales guys to promise things that are not included, or to mischaracterize what is included.

Things will change a great deal between now and a year from now in terms of TVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks